Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Maybe just another occasion where it 'will not work here' attitude.Yet still no one can explain why it is beneficial to sleep through daylight yet complain we only have so little  .

Posted

If we stayed on summertime the sun wouldn't rise till 9.30 am here on the shortest days ,so no proper light till 10 am on cloudy days :(..

That is the most untrue statement I have ever heard,you would struggle for those figures in Stornoway ! Sorry am talking about it being light at 10  ...no !

Edited by hillbilly

That is the most untrue statement I have ever heard,you would struggle for those figures in Stornoway ! Sorry am talking about it being light at 10 ...no !

I'm sorry the sun rises here at 8.30 am on darkest days in winter time so on summertime it would be 9.30 am FACT ....lol got that :).. Edited by Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

At the end of the day the actual daylight recieved will never change. No one will ever be satisfied. The main period of complaint in question is too near the time people go to work and come home this no one side will ever be completely happy really.

I too wish the argument was ditched to be honest. No one will ever be completely happy. Besides, BST will be back around again in 5 months. Fact.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted

I'm sorry the sun rises here at 8.30 am on darkest days in winter time so on summertime it would be 9.30 am FACT ....lol got that :)..

Yes 0830 sunrise just 6 minutes later than here but light comes up 20 minutes before sunrise enough to be very clear to see or do something outside without the aid of lights.I have worked outside most of my life and can assure you that it is light enough here at 08.00 to do most things on the 29th of December equivalent to your o8.06 so staying on bst would be 09.06 ,not sure where you get 10 am from.

Yes 0830 sunrise just 6 minutes later than here but light comes up 20 minutes before sunrise enough to be very clear to see or do something outside without the aid of lights.I have worked outside most of my life and can assure you that it is light enough here at 08.00 to do most things on the 29th of December equivalent to your o8.06 so staying on bst would be 09.06 ,not sure where you get 10 am from.

factoring in very dull days 8.45 so 9.45 ,my yard security lights would turn of at about that time on a bad day ,I worked in heavy plant so early starts !!.btw sunrise 1 st of Jan for barrow is 8.32 am !! Edited by Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

On overcast days it can take 30-45 minutes to get properly light, it's a very slow process. So yes, for many in winter it may not get light until 10am. And then we'd have people moaning again (me included!). I've had so much more energy the past couple of days because it's light on the way to work, helps a huge amount to wake you up after an early start :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

Yet still no one can explain why it is beneficial to sleep through daylight yet complain we only have so little  .

Some of us are not good early risers  - the old difference between owls and larks.

• Like 1

Posted

On overcast days it can take 30-45 minutes to get properly light, it's a very slow process. So yes, for many in winter it may not get light until 10am. And then we'd have people moaning again (me included!). I've had so much more energy the past couple of days because it's light on the way to work, helps a huge amount to wake you up after an early start :)

I guess there are no winners the 6 weeks around the solstice and you can get incredibly dull days if there is low cloud/fog around such as 1992 .It would be interesting to have gmt between mid November and the end of January !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I guess there are no winners the 6 weeks around the solstice and you can get incredibly dull days if there is low cloud/fog around such as 1992 .It would be interesting to have gmt between mid November and the end of January !

That's what I've been saying. There are winners and losers either way. We get too much light in summer and too little light in winter. The joys of a high latitude.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

If we stayed on summertime the sun wouldn't rise till 9.30 am here on the shortest days ,so no proper light till 10 am on cloudy days :(..

I would prefer lighter evenings. A long drive home in the dark in winter when your tired after long day in pouring rain and fog is horrible and I find myself trying to drift off in the last quarter!  :help:

• Like 1

Posted

Coming home last night in the dark was super depressing, especially because I haven't had to do it for 5 years or so (my other jobs finished way before 5) However, getting up in the light the last two mornings has been glorious! although that will only last a matter of weeks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Do people want their kids walking or riding to school in the dark, just so you can get a worthless extra hour of light in the evening?

• Like 2

Posted

Do people want their kids walking or riding to school in the dark, just so you can get a worthless extra hour of light in the evening?

Do kids still walk to school?   :cc_confused: 

whats wrong with walking in the dark? Not going to fall asleep walking and hit a wall?

Posted

Do kids still walk to school?   :cc_confused:

whats wrong with walking in the dark? Not going to fall asleep walking and hit a wall?

I'm talking about reducing the chances that they get run over and killed. But whatever, as long as you're slightly more chipper when you drive home from work.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If you read the ROSPA report on the '68-'71 trial, it's more than obvious that year-round BST reduces the number of accidents...I guess that everything else is down to personal preference? :D

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted

If you read the ROSPA report on the '68-'71 trial, it's more than obvious that year-round BST reduces the number accidents...I guess that everything else is down to personal preference? :D

But as long as little Johnny can walk to school in the light who cares about increased accident rates?  :D

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 2

Posted

Just gone 3 and already feels like it's starting to get dark. Last week it didn't feel like that till after 5.

The old BST debate, personally I'd be happy with BST all year (call it British Standard Time) but I know some people prefer lighter mornings, others evenings. The way I see it is that for about a month either side of the solstice it doesn't matter what time zone we use, there is so little daylight and the UK climate so horribly cloudy that it will feel like it hardly gets light whether sunrise is at 8, 9, or 4 in the afternoon. But it's when we use GMT a long way from the solstice that there is a real problem. Lurching from dusk just after 6 (evening) to just before 5 (afternoon) like we do is horrible, it feels like a 2 hour change.

If we delayed changing them till it was setting at 5 on BST (mid to late Nov) it would already feel like it was getting dark in the afternoon, so wouldn't seem such a dramatic change. That would avoid post 9am sunrises. Then the biggest waste of daylight, in late Feb and most of March. The 6am dawns in March are just so pointless and wasteful, when they could be sacrificed to give another month of light evenings. Seeing as I want them put back in late November it might seem like they should go forward in Jan, but there is an issue that the sunrises stay after 8am GMT right to the end of Jan, the late sunrises linger until the stage when sunset is already an hour later than at the solstice. So mid Feb is when I'd put them forward.

• Like 2

Posted

But as long as little Johnny can walk to school in the light who cares about increased accident rates?  :D

It's not just about accidents (and a 3 year sample from 45 years ago doesn't really convince me). I don't know if you are a parent, but most responsible adults don't want their kids wandering around outside in the dark.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Just gone 3 and already feels like it's starting to get dark. Last week it didn't feel like that till after 5.

The old BST debate, personally I'd be happy with BST all year (call it British Standard Time) but I know some people prefer lighter mornings, others evenings. The way I see it is that for about a month either side of the solstice it doesn't matter what time zone we use, there is so little daylight and the UK climate so horribly cloudy that it will feel like it hardly gets light whether sunrise is at 8, 9, or 4 in the afternoon. But it's when we use GMT a long way from the solstice that there is a real problem. Lurching from dusk just after 6 (evening) to just before 5 (afternoon) like we do is horrible, it feels like a 2 hour change.

If we delayed changing them till it was setting at 5 on BST (mid to late Nov) it would already feel like it was getting dark in the afternoon, so wouldn't seem such a dramatic change. That would avoid post 9am sunrises. Then the biggest waste of daylight, in late Feb and most of March. The 6am dawns in March are just so pointless and wasteful, when they could be sacrificed to give another month of light evenings. Seeing as I want them put back in late November it might seem like they should go forward in Jan, but there is an issue that the sunrises stay after 8am GMT right to the end of Jan, the late sunrises linger until the stage when sunset is already an hour later than at the solstice. So mid Feb is when I'd put them forward.

They should change the clocks as they do in Canada..1st Sunday in November they go back and 1st Sunday in March they go forward works well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's not just about accidents (and a 3 year sample from 45 years ago doesn't really convince me). I don't know if you are a parent, but most responsible adults don't want their kids wandering around outside in the dark.

Except in the evening; and, presumably, they don't mind if they get knocked-down, either? My wee bro was knocked-down, in fog, and a time that, had we been on BST, it would have been broad daylight...Don't forget that, around dusk, drivers' eyes are continually adjusting to ever-increasing darkness.

Posted

Except in the evening; and, presumably, they don't mind if they get knocked-down, either? My wee bro was knocked-down, in fog, and a time that, had we been on BST, it would have been broad daylight...Don't forget that, around dusk, drivers' eyes are continually adjusting to ever-increasing darkness.

The vast majority would be home from school then, which is the point. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Had to put the light on indoors already, after such a lovely day. It is a shame we can't squeeze an extra hour of light at this time of day imo.

A perfect set-up would be dark no earlier than 6.00pm and Light by 7.30am just a shame it can't really happen.

BTW the debate about schools and stuff, not sure about your areas but round this way we seem to have more and more of an increase in after school clubs which is great because it keeps them off the streets BUT plenty are walking home in the dark when they attend one of these.

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1