Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Tough - it isn't going to change for you or anyone else. Deal with it or move to France!

For those of us who finish at 5, it makes no difference whatsoever.

You are right it is not going to change and lots of people work all sorts of hours me included but the vast majority of the country are either eating their breakfast or asleep when there is daylight for most of the gmt season and like others say there is only 8 hours at best ,why sleep through some of it !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

You are right it is not going to change and lots of people work all sorts of hours me included but the vast majority of the country are either eating their breakfast or asleep when there is daylight for most of the gmt season and like others say there is only 8 hours at best ,why sleep through some of it !

And most people would still be at work during the afternoon daylight even with BST in winter. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I missed any annual 'should we change the clocks' debate on TV yesterday. Here at least it's nice to see that annual tradition hasn't totally been forgotten about.

:wink:

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted

I missed any annual 'should we change the clocks' debate on TV yesterday. Here at least it's nice to see that annual tradition hasn't totally been forgotten about.

:wink:

It's something that always gets moaned about for a couple of days and then most people just get over it. I doubt it will ever change.

Posted

And most people would still be at work during the afternoon daylight even with BST in winter. 

Do you work in a room with no windows? You may be right for the 6 week period around the solstice but what about the other 16 weeks of gmt particularly February and march. Why is it that we change the clocks only 7 weeks before the evening swithover yet it is a further 21 weeks before we change back to bst

Posted

Do you work in a room with no windows? You may be right for the 6 week period around the solstice but what about the other 16 weeks of gmt particularly February and march. Why is it that we change the clocks only 7 weeks before the evening swithover yet it is a further 21 weeks before we change back to bst

No, but the argument I always hear about changing the clocks is to do with "outdoor activities". That argument is bunkum for the working week and the weather is often too poor to do anything meaningful outdoors anyway. All that keeping BST will do is simply change the time when you can see daylight out of your office window. Days are too short for permanent BST to make any real difference.

Even if we were still on BST now (or the equivalent, end of Feb), what could you really do with it being light until 5:45pm?

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No, but the argument I always hear about changing the clocks is to do with "outdoor activities". That argument is bunkum for the working week and the weather is often too poor to do anything meaningful outdoors anyway. All that keeping BST will do is simply change the time when you can see daylight out of your office window. Days are too short for permanent BST to make any real difference.

Even if we were still on BST now (or the equivalent, end of Feb), what could you really do with it being light until 5:45pm?

It would also reduce greenhouse emissions without adversely affecting peoples everyday lives?

Posted

It would also reduce greenhouse emissions without adversely affecting peoples everyday lives?

How so?

I suppose I'm biased, I love it when the clocks go back, really starts that festive winter feeling!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I would certainly be able to give My dog the proper exercise he deserves around the woods after work. I get better exercise too. The dog hates being on his lead walked around the streets.

Posted

How so?

I suppose I'm biased, I love it when the clocks go back, really starts that festive winter feeling!

It would reduce by one (or two) hours, the need for lighting homes on autumn/winter evenings...an extra one/two hours' daylight at 6 am isn't all the useful to most people? :)

Posted

It would reduce by one (or two) hours, the need for lighting homes on autumn/winter evenings...an extra one/two hours' daylight at 6 am isn't all the useful to most people? :)

Apart from a week or so towards the end of March, the sun is never up before 6am during the GMT season. And again, aren't most people getting up for work between 6-7am anyway?

The way the prospect of perma-BST is being talked about, you'd think it means we'd pluck an extra hour of daylight out of nowhere!

Edited by Nick L

Posted

Apart from a week or so towards the end of March, the sun is never up before 6am during the GMT season. And again, aren't most people getting up for work between 6-7am anyway?

The way the prospect of perma-BST is being talked about, you'd think it means we'd pluck an extra hour of daylight out of nowhere!

I know. But all we'd really be doing is transferring daylight to a time when it's more useful. It would also reduce road accidents??

Posted

I know. But all we'd really be doing is transferring daylight to a time when it's more useful. It would also reduce road accidents??

Would it though? Wouldn't the road accidents simply be transferred to the mornings? Plus kids would be walking to school in the dark.

Edited by Nick L

Posted

Here's some evidence, Nick: http://www.politics.co.uk/reference/british-summer-time-bst :)

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted

Would it though? Wouldn't the road accidents simply be transferred to the mornings? Plus kids would be walking to school in the dark.

You would only be talking about the weeks around the solstice which kids have 2 weeks of that off school anyway and my little girl hates it when she cannot play out because it is dark at night and sure when it was tried many years ago the accident rate fell !

Posted

I just think that while permanent BST will alleviate some problems, it will just create different ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

You would only be talking about the weeks around the solstice which kids have 2 weeks of that off school anyway and my little girl hates it when she cannot play out because it is dark at night and sure when it was tried many years ago the accident rate fell !

It's been tried and tested - people didn't like it. It's not going to happen. Put it to bed and stop blithering on. Getting sick and  tired of this same tedious argument popping up every bloody year.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

I just think that while permanent BST will alleviate some problems, it will just create different ones.

Such as? I don't recall any problems, back in the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Nights are drawing in really quick since Saturday its like we lost an hour in one day!   :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Such as? I don't recall any problems, back in the day.

That was 1971 - 44 years ago. This isn't 1971. There are umpteen more cars on the road. The results back then are not guaranteed to be repeated again if they were implemented in the 21st century. Also note the use of the word 'estimated' - i.e it isn't certain.

Just get over it and move on. It's one hour - it is not that big of a deal. Honestly.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

it is all bullocks anyway, changing the clocks does not change the amount of light, I would like to stick with GMT and be done with it.  Plenty of jobs now on varied hours, get one of those if 9-5 is not good for you.

When one time works for you it does not for another, we get this every year and you just have to adapt and deal with it because nothing you can do about the amount of light and for how long.

I do shifts so it means some weeks I get light at the start not the end of my day and switches the next.

Unless we get everyone onto the same exact hours and fix that then this will never change.

Only way *you* can change it is to get a job and live in a location that offers what you want, this pesky earth keeps spinning, rotating and tilting round the the big round warm glowy thing and not sure there are any plans to change that any time soon.

• Like 1

Posted

it is all bullocks anyway, changing the clocks does not change the amount of light, I would like to stick with GMT and be done with it.  Plenty of jobs now on varied hours, get one of those if 9-5 is not good for you.

When one time works for you it does not for another, we get this every year and you just have to adapt and deal with it because nothing you can do about the amount of light and for how long.

I do shifts so it means some weeks I get light at the start not the end of my day and switches the next.

Unless we get everyone onto the same exact hours and fix that then this will never change.

Only way *you* can change it is to get a job and live in a location that offers what you want, this pesky earth keeps spinning, rotating and tilting round the the big round warm glowy thing and not sure there are any plans to change that any time soon.

This. In spades.

• Like 1

Posted

That was 1971 - 44 years ago. This isn't 1971. There are umpteen more cars on the road. The results back then are not guaranteed to be repeated again if they were implemented in the 21st century. Also note the use of the word 'estimated' - i.e it isn't certain.

Just get over it and move on. It's one hour - it is not that big of a deal. Honestly.

So it'll save even more lives than it did back then?