Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I'm quite strange as I'm the other way around. The dark mornings never bother me - in fact I honestly wouldn't care if it was nearly dark at 10:00, but the dark evenings I find really depressing on the other hand. In December, it is not rare for light to feel like it's dimming by 15:00.

Never move to the north of Scotland!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

1 hour 5 minutes of daylight left to lose during the afternoon's over the next 8 weeks here in Darlo

Sunset is at 16:46 today but its starting to get dull already

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

1 hour 5 minutes of daylight left to lose over the next 8 weeks here in Darlo

Sunset is at 16:46 today but its starting to get dull already

I think you've got your numbers fudged there Gavin. Day length on the winter solstice here is 7h 46m 30s, day length today 10h 5m 2s = approx 2 hours 20 difference. Unless you mean purely the difference in sunset times?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

About 2hrs 45 mins of daylight to lose here by the time we reach the winter solstice.

Already looking like daylight is fading, not helped by the overcast skies. 

Posted

Sun is out here so still plenty of light left for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I think you've got your numbers fudged there Gavin. Day length on the winter solstice here is 7h 46m 30s, day length today 10h 5m 2s = approx 2 hours 20 difference. Unless you mean purely the difference in sunset times?

Was just basing in on the afternoons my bad

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

God isnt it depressing getting so dark early now.

I hate the change over to darker eves.

Why the hell cant we follow the Europeans, even in the depth of winter its 5 ish before it gets dark.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Why the hell cant we follow the Europeans, even in the depth of winter its 5 ish before it gets dark.

Thank god for the local gym on weekdays to pass away these long boring evenings. As for Sundays when the gym is shut, its surely not right to sit infront of the telly for 6 hours. How unhealthy is that.

Posted

Thank god for the local gym on weekdays to pass away these long boring evenings. As for Sundays when the gym is shut, its surely not right to sit infront of the telly for 6 hours. How unhealthy is that.

Plenty of hobbies and activities other than TV. Read a book for instance.

People are kidding themselves if they think lighter evenings in the winter will increase outdoor recreational activity, the one thing that dictates outdoor activities in this country is the weather. Who the hell wants to do an outdoor activity in driving rain and gales just because itis still light at 5pm?

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 6

Posted

Plenty of hobbies and activities other than TV. Read a book for instance.

People are kidding themselves if they think lighter evenings in the winter will increase outdoor recreational activity, the one thing that dictates outdoor activities in this country is the weather. Who the hell wants to do an outdoor activity in driving rain and gales just because itis still light at 5pm?

Agreed. There is too little light in winter to have a perfect scenario. Most places in the UK get less than 8 hours of daylight in mid-December, there is simply no one size fits all solution regarding the clocks. It's either have long, dark mornings or long, dark evenings.

• Like 1

Posted

Agreed. There is too little light in winter to have a perfect scenario. Most places in the UK get less than 8 hours of daylight in mid-December, there is simply no one size fits all solution regarding the clocks. It's either have long, dark mornings or long, dark evenings.

I imagine if we scrapped GMT and kept BST all year round then i would eventually despite the dark mornings. Even if i moved to Spain to get longer daylight hours in winter i wouldnt get the 10pm sunsets that i love about our Summers. So i cant win to be honest. Time to acclimatise for the next 3 months and make use of the daylight when we do get it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

We should leave the whole year to GMT as far as Im concerned! Thank God mankind cannot alter the light and dark which mother nature provides through the seasons in this part of the Planet!  Just imagine ,if mankind could meddle with the seasonal light on a daily basis, we would have a week of non stop daylight and the following week would be complete darkness :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

post-6830-0-66828300-1445797369.gif

post-6830-0-65648600-1445797721_thumb.gi

Posted

We should leave the whole year to GMT as far as Im concerned! Thank God mankind cannot alter the light and dark which mother nature provides through the seasons in this part of the Planet!  Just imagine ,if mankind could meddle with the seasonal light on a daily basis, we would have a week of non stop daylight and the following week would be complete darkness :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Noo! id be leaving the club on a summers early morning to sunlight in my eyes. All that wasted daylight! I take back what i said about Spain in my earlier post if Barcelona is anything to go by. Sunsets times for midsummer pretty much the same as the UK with sunrise much later around 6.30am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Vigo in Spain has sunrises at 9am in December though. For the 9-5 working population, if we stayed on BST all year, it would already be dark when we come home, but would also be dark when we go to work. No thank you.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

That's another thing regarding working hours. Even if we were on BST all year round, it would still mean sunsets before 5pm in mid-winter. Most people are either still in work or still on their way home, so it's hardly usable daylight anyway.

• Like 1

Posted

That's another thing regarding working hours. Even if we were on BST all year round, it would still mean sunsets before 5pm in mid-winter. Most people are either still in work or still on their way home, so it's hardly usable daylight anyway.

Also a lot of people do shift work. If you are a night shift worker, during the winter months, you start and finish work in the dark and during the summer months, you start and finish work in the light.

Posted

Also a lot of people do shift work. If you are a night shift worker, during the winter months, you start and finish work in the dark and during the summer months, you start and finish work in the light.

As I'm all too aware :D

During runs of nights in the winter I just never see daylight at all. Thankfully I didn't have to do nights during the summer, would have been a pain trying to sleep. The problem with our latitude is that we have too much light in the summer, and too little light in the winter.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

You know the problem with going on holiday in the autumn? Usually fairly mild SAD is way worse than normal when you get back :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It does seem strange how so many of you out there want to wake up in daylight not seeing the sun come up at the expence of light at the days end when you could have a useable hour after work for much of the gmt season !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It does seem strange how so many of you out there want to wake up in daylight not seeing the sun come up at the expence of light at the days end when you could have a useable hour after work for much of the gmt season !

Tough - it isn't going to change for you or anyone else. Deal with it or move to France!

For those of us who finish at 5, it makes no difference whatsoever.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

As much as I hate all the extra darkness in the winter (getting dark at 5pm is horrible) it goes so fast the before you know it, it's March and getting dark at 7pm :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

What use is that hour? Gardening is limited, weather is going to dictate any outdoor activity. Indoor activities are not dependent on daylight and weather.

Besides a lot of workers don't do a 9-5 shift.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

And for those of us that finish at 7 or even 8pm...we want BST +4 :D