Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Been feeling a bit low the last week or so and just a bit 'ugh'. Can't believe that my winter blues that normally start in mid October and last for a few weeks has already kicked in. Felt noticeably much better in the sun this afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

If only I could go to sleep, now, and awaken in late February?

That would be the best. I'll wake up for Christmas and the general getting fat and drinking part and any snow that may occur, but yes, wake me up in March. or better yet, give me those months I lose back on summertime.

Asking too much?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Chickens went to bed at 6:30 tonight, extremely early compared to recent days. The extremely thick cloudcover made it much darker this evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

I haven't looked through the past few of posts but for me that time I dread is nigh - one word SAD

SAD isn't something "to snap out of" - it's a neurological illness with serious physical symptoms.  Given the "summer" we've just endured I'm doubly concerned over the next few months.

• Like 2

Posted

That would be the best. I'll wake up for Christmas and the general getting fat and drinking part and any snow that may occur, but yes, wake me up in March. or better yet, give me those months I lose back on summertime.

Asking too much?

Yes, we really need Star Trek stasis :D

• Like 1

Posted

I haven't looked through the past few of posts but for me that time I dread is nigh - one word SAD

SAD isn't something "to snap out of" - it's a neurological illness with serious physical symptoms.  Given the "summer" we've just endured I'm doubly concerned over the next few months.

Agree with this, I'm actually very worried about the state of my mental health this winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Agree with this, I'm actually very worried about the state of my mental health this winter.

Me too, but that's got more to do with the Model Output thread than SAD.

• Like 1

Posted

You could see your GP for a course of an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor ie fluoxetine (Prozac)) that will help maintain your levels of serotonin during the dark months.  You could also get a light box but these can be a bit expensive.

Posted

We are now seeing quite rapid daylight loss, and the rate of loss will continue at the same pace until the clocks go back, we then see a slow down in the rate of loss.. All a bit depressing. The sun though still has some oomph to it, yesterday it felt very warm at lunchtime standing directly in it, but you definitely notice its loss of strength early and late in the day, and the long shadows and appearance lower on the horizon are a give away that we are now firmly in darker territory.

Evenings from now on increasingly become limited in their usability, they are still just about light enough early on to get jobs done outside, on clear evenings it is still fairly light just before 8pm, but a cloudy wet evening sees light levels rapidly diminish not long after 7pm, by mid October, its firmly dark by about half 6, putting a lock on the evenings firmly in this respect.

Sorry to sound a bit depressing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Think that's not quite true damianslaw. The slow down on n loss of daylight begins very soon after the equinox. :) Also still some very good warmth in the sun here in Devon late this afternoon. Uv index is still up at 4 so still very decent. :)

Posted

At least after Wednesday, we're closer to the point where the days start to get longer again, as opposed to shorter... :)

Perhaps my terminology isn't quite correct. I am referring to sunrise and sunset hours Greenwich meantime. If you look at the times, you will notice the sun is setting at a rate of 2 minutes earlier each day at the moment and continues to do so until the clocks go back. Likewise it is rising 2 minutes later each day and continues to do so until the clocks go back. The same rate of change has been the case since around the 10-14th Aug, prior to that the rate of change was less. The slowdown in rate of change sunrise and sunset times decreases after the clocks go back, but not until then.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

At least after Wednesday, we're closer to the point where the days start to get longer again, as opposed to shorter... :)

The Current day in Brum is 12hrs 34mins long, this is 4m 2s shorter than yesterday, and this dont stop for...... :ninja:

On the thursday 24th it's almost 5mins shorter that the 23rd, So shorter is the word don't you think ???

Posted

Maybe its a lack of vitamin D that causes this problem? For me I welcome the all consuming encroaching darkness. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I can see the positives of all seasons. The sky felt wintry today and it was actually kind of nice in a strange way. Like the type of day that you get all nice and wrapped and then go home and put the fire on. Also we've had some lovely crisp autumn sunshine recently.

Just need some snow now.

Posted

I can see the positives of all seasons. The sky felt wintry today and it was actually kind of nice in a strange way. Like the type of day that you get all nice and wrapped and then go home and put the fire on. Also we've had some lovely crisp autumn sunshine recently.

Just need some snow now.

Fully agree. I'd find any season tedious if it persisted year round. I like the variety. I couldn't imagine having SAD, I'm honestly not fazed in the slightest by the changing daylight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Fully agree. I'd find any season tedious if it persisted year round. I like the variety. I couldn't imagine having SAD, I'm honestly not fazed in the slightest by the changing daylight.

I'm much the same. I find certain weather types boring or annoying, but never depressing. A thick blanket of cloud is dreary, but it doesn't make me want to kill myself.

Posted

Yup.

Life's to short and mucked up to get hung up on things.

I understand people suffer from these syndromes, but weather makes life interesting.

It's great that we have the opportunity to have seasons. Its lucky that we're on an island that gets a myriad of weather thrown at us.

There needs to be variety, it adds to the variety of life.

I'm at my stage in life where things look different.

Loved ones have passed on, my children are growing up at a frightening rate of knots, and I'm starting to appreciate this one life I have.

It's too short to wish it away.

Grasp it and amaze yourself in the wonder of it all.

We have one life - live it to the full.

• Like 6

Yup.

Life's to short and mucked up to get hung up on things.

I understand people suffer from these syndromes, but weather makes life interesting.

It's great that we have the opportunity to have seasons. Its lucky that we're on an island that gets a myriad of weather thrown at us.

There needs to be variety, it adds to the variety of life.

I'm at my stage in life where things look different.

Loved ones have passed on, my children are growing up at a frightening rate of knots, and I'm starting to appreciate this one life I have.

It's too short to wish it away.

Grasp it and amaze yourself in the wonder of it all.

We have one life - live it to the full.

well said bogman :)..
  • Like 1

Posted

Maybe its a lack of vitamin D that causes this problem? For me I welcome the all consuming encroaching darkness. :)

Nothing to do with Vit D.   The players are melotonin (a hormone) and serotonin (a neurotransmitter).  Melotonin basically controls our circadian cycle, keeps us awake during the day and encourages sleep at night.  Serotonin is one of the main neurotransmitters in the brain, and low levels of serotonin are known to be behind "normal" clinical depression as well as SAD. The alternative meaning of SAD is Seasonally Affected Depression.

The "cure"? There isn't one.  We are basically a tropical species and not designed for the awful sunless British climate.  Some can handle British conditions, but those of us at the other end of the spectrum suffer the effects of SAD, and with our increasingly cloudy skies SAD often manifests for most of the year.

In order of practicality, a.) St. John's Wort is a natural serotonin booster, useful if you don't want to take b.)selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like fluoxetine (Prozac) or c.) use a light box (I've seen them for as little as £35).

WARNING: Don't take St. John's Wort together with SSRIs as doing so could lead to serotonin syndrome which is potentially fatal. 

NICE recommends that SAD should be treated in the same way as other types of depression.  In other words, SAD is an actual illness.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 1