Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'm a bit like that. The dark mornings don't really bother me, but I absolutely hate the dark evenings. In December it's not rare for it to be nearly pitch black at 16:00.

Disagree. The worst aspect of going to school in December for me was that it was often pitch black when I got up and quite frankly I have no motivation to get out of bed when its dark and wet. Any later sunrises would have been a nightmare and I'm sure most people would agree hence the lack of interest in changing anything.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Disagree. The worst aspect of going to school in December for me was that it was often pitch black when I got up and quite frankly I have no motivation to get out of bed when its dark and wet. Any later sunrises would have been a nightmare and I'm sure most people would agree hence the lack of interest in changing anything.

I LOVE the dark mornings. It'd be awesome if it didn't get light in midwinter until later than it actually does. Anyone up for 10-11 am sunrises?! :p

• Like 2

Posted

In December it's not rare for it to be nearly pitch black at 16:00.

Unless there is a severe thunderstorm or a pea souper of old, I dcon't think you will find it pitch black or near it at 4pm! The earliest the sun sets at Manchester in the whole year is just before 3.50pm. There is no way it can be nearly pitch black by 4pm.

This is my time-lapse from 9th December last year. Even on a grotty cloudy day, it ain't pitch black at 4pm

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I was doing a job iseveral years ago and I remember it being dark enough to have to pack up at 4.10 pm,strange as the earliest since is normally around 4.20pm,i do not recall it being misty ,am not sure of the reason! It always surprises me also when starting on a morning when it is quite dark and it suddenly gets very light when it is cloudy and you know the sun has risen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I LOVE the dark mornings. It'd be awesome if it didn't get light in midwinter until later than it actually does. Anyone up for 10-11 am sunrises?! :p

Absolutely!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I love the dark evenings, but I'm not so keen on dark mornings. But conversely, I hate how it's light at 4am in June.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

*sulking*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I can feel my annual bout of seasonal depression, already. Now, I can't wait for the first major snowfall - it'll brighten things up no-end! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Not quite,it is still summer and like the summers since 2006 we could find some of the better summer weather in September and with 30 deg capable in any day in September we can all hope for a spell better than summer 2015 has delivered.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not quite,it is still summer and like the summers since 2006 we could find some of the better summer weather in September and with 30 deg capable in any day in September we can all hope for a spell better than summer 2015 has delivered.

Indeed September can deliver some

Of the most pleasant weather. Too many seem to think it's all frosts and gales from here. Not till October really especially not for us in the south.

Posted

Indeed September can deliver some

Of the most pleasant weather. Too many seem to think it's all frosts and gales from here. Not till October really especially not for us in the south.

And If we get really desperate there's always October. We had that 30 degree October spell a few years ago and even just last year we had 24C on Halloween and that's practically November! Now that was a really odd day as it was very warm and sunny but with a winter-esque 4:36pm sunset.

Posted

Let's try and keep this on topic folks, there are relevant threads for summer and autumn weather discussions.

Cheers.

Posted

Dullness of skies have been shortening the sense of daylight here. This evening the skies cleared to the west after a very dull Bank holiday allowing some sense that we were still some way off 21st Sept.

Posted

You can really notice how much lower the sun is in the sky now, adds to that increasingly Autumnal feel!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

With the rate at which daylight is lost reaching its peak at the equinox, two hours of daytime will be chopped off this month in Chelmsford.

Edited by Relativistic Sting Jet

Posted

You can really notice how much lower the sun is in the sky now, adds to that increasingly Autumnal feel!

Was going to say that, Nick. The sun itself has far less intensity, too.

I know what you mean about the Autumnal feel; despite the pleasant warmth you can't help but notice the longer shadows and lower sun. It's gorgeous out there today, I love warm sunny days at this time of year.

• Like 1

Was going to say that, Nick. The sun itself has far less intensity, too.

I know what you mean about the Autumnal feel; despite the pleasant warmth you can't help but notice the longer shadows and lower sun. It's gorgeous out there today, I love warm sunny days at this time of year.

I can't really feel the difference, especially with the lack of Sun in Derry this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

While that'd be nice in short bursts just for a change, the sun basically not rising until near 9 here and then setting at half 3 on foggy midwinter days can get really dire for those who are either in school, university or work when it's light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes we're into that period where daylight loss is approaching its peak.

Sunset is 7:40pm here which is still within the 'acceptable' limits for me. I can finish work, check the garden & start dinner in daylight. I've prob got 2-3 weeks before that line is crossed when darkness begins to infect the 'daytime' period of life - i.e. pre 7pm. Then things get annoying for many many months. ugh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not too long till the darkness acceleration slows down again. Then we will be closer to the days lengthening again then drawing in. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Yes September sees the rate of daylight loss reach its peak, and it is very notable now. Even so clear days keep light levels strong until about 8pm - a respectable time period, indeed yesterday it was still very light close on half 8, alas a wet cloudy night can see dark skies closing in as early as half 7. It is after the equinox when you really begin to notice the change, until then especially with the given outlook enjoy the light levels until the start of the next new season in late March.

• Like 2

Posted

Had the first almost complete dark walkies at half past 5 this morning although there was a hell of a lot of cloud around (Different from yesterday when the skies we're clearer you could notice the light more)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Really have been noticing it recently.

At this point, my mind deviates somewhat from the storm charts to the hunt for something colder and then November onwards to some hopeful lamp post watching!!

So much more depressing seeing the back of summer compared to entering it though.

Posted

I love the dark evenings, but I'm not so keen on dark mornings. But conversely, I hate how it's light at 4am in June.

I like dark mornings and dark evenings it's very therapeutic to me.

• Like 4