Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

It's only money. The mental anguish caused by summer is far more costly. Only a little over 5 months til the days start to shorten. Here we go again....

No mental anguish here any time of year, financial on the other hand is quite high right now.

• Like 3

Posted

Can walk the dog in the fields until 5pm now and not need a torch to find my way around! Incredible improvement in the lightening evenings.

• Like 2

Posted

nice to get up in the light this morning, yes I had a bit of a lie in, but still the mornings are growing noticably lighter now as well.

• Like 3

Posted

nice to get up in the light this morning, yes I had a bit of a lie in, but still the mornings are growing noticably lighter now as well.

Are they?

Can't say I have really noticed and with good reason, the turnaround for sunrise doesn't happen to after the New Year, whilst sunset was over a month ago.

Sunrise about 10 minutes earlier now whilst sunset is over half hour later. Sunrise is getting earlier but noticeably, not yet I would say,

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Around late January I get that "spring tinge" where the light reaches a certain angle in the sky at a certain time. Haven't had it yet, but any day now:)

We got a new dog a couple of weeks ago and I took her for her first walk around the fields this afternoon. I am super looking forward to storm-season when I can use the dog as an excuse to go out and look at any interesting clouds:)

• Like 2

Posted

Heard a spotted woodpecker drumming this late afternoon - a sure sign of lengthening evenings as the establishment of territory in readiness for breeding becomes increasingly important.

Edited by picog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I would suggest that anyone who suffers a lot of mental anguish because of the amount of daylight should see a professional about it because it isn't changing anytime soon and that's a long time to spend being miserable.

• Like 2

Posted

Are they?

Can't say I have really noticed and with good reason, the turnaround for sunrise doesn't happen to after the New Year, whilst sunset was over a month ago.

Sunrise about 10 minutes earlier now whilst sunset is over half hour later. Sunrise is getting earlier but noticeably, not yet I would say,

I leave every day at this time of year in the dark to get to the office between 06:00 and 07:00, looking out the window over the yard it is getting noticable lighter now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

It's only money. The mental anguish caused by summer is far more costly. Only a little over 5 months til the days start to shorten. Here we go again....

Nope...it currently gets dark at 4.45pm - the next time that will happen will be 27th October which is just over 9 months away from this point. Happy days, bring on the daylight! looking forward to when they roll those clocks on another hour and extend BST. going to happen within the next 4 or 5 years.

• Like 2

Posted

Nope...it currently gets dark at 4.45pm - the next time that will happen will be 27th October which is just over 9 months away from this point. Happy days, bring on the daylight! looking forward to when they roll those clocks on another hour and extend BST. going to happen within the next 4 or 5 years.

Have you got proof to this BST extension? As far as I've seen, its only been suggested by the current government and that was a few years ago when the coalition were first in power.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15490249 Yes 2011, was touted as a possibility. Personally i would love it, feel that the getting light at 3:45am in morning in summer is wasted tbh. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I bought a tent and got into camping too late last year. By August the true light evenings had passed, but this year i cant wait to enjoy maximum daylight from roughly late May to late July. Sat outside on a warm evening with a beer, good times not too far away.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not going completely dark till about quarter to 6 here now. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Every year we hear the government talking about altering the clocks permanently, it never happens and I wouldn't be surprised if it never did.

The evenings are noticeably lighter now but the mornings are still just as dark.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Every year we hear the government talking about altering the clocks permanently, it never happens and I wouldn't be surprised if it never did.

The evenings are noticeably lighter now but the mornings are still just as dark.

Not quite sure the mornings are just as dark now given they have had or nearly had 3 weeks of lengthening now. Seemed to be getting light from 7.30am here this morning, not the case a couple of weeks ago. Obviously here in the far SW we benefit from some of the longest daylight hours at this time of year as well as the sun higher in the sky compared to Scotland etc.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Not quite sure the mornings are just as dark now given they have had or nearly had 3 weeks of lengthening now. Seemed to be getting light from 7.30am here this morning, not the case a couple of weeks ago. Obviously here in the far SW we benefit from some of the longest daylight hours at this time of year as well as the sun higher in the sky compared to Scotland etc.

Sunrise for me is now at 08:11 instead of 08:28 at the start of this month Jan 30th sees the sun rising before just 8am for me

Posted

Since the start of the month we have gained nearly 20 mins in the morning and nigh on half an hour in the afternoon/evening of sunlight here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Saw car with no lights on at 7.59am today first sub 8am. Best this month was 8.23am on the way to work  (leave 7.30 arrive 8.45am)

Yes I am that sad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Saw car with no lights on at 7.59am today first sub 8am. Best this month was 8.23am on the way to work  (leave 7.30 arrive 8.45am)

Yes I am that sad

I'm just as bad with noticing the street lights haha. Getting close to being switched on after 5pm now...

• Like 1

Posted

About the headlights- it's really getting lighter for me when 3pm football kickoffs dont use the floodlights at all. Theoretically should be possible from late Jan in the south and mid Feb in Scotland, but they often seem to use them into March even in London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

1635 sunset here now so gained a good 40 mins in the evening which is noticeable whereas barely 12 mins gained in the mornings (0802 today). Given how it is almost always cloudy in Berlin during winter its harder to notice however! I was flying in from Paris on Wednesday and clear skies dominated the whole way... then we landed into Berlin and it was the usual 1c and low cloud/drizzle. Seems like we're in a pool of murk most of the time - worse than that North Sea muck was back in Nottingham! And that's saying something...

As for changing to BST in winter - I experienced it in Paris. Sunrise was 0835 and sunset 1730 which made for dreadful mornings when starting meetings at 0800 but was nice to still see sunshine still at 1700! Can't really win in winter but come mid Feb it'll be 1815 sunset in Paris whilst here (and the UK) limp on with it getting dark just after 1700 - far better in Paris!

• Like 1