Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

NYE was latest sunrise, held steady one minute earlier for a few days since, tomorrow it will be two minutes earlier and then the only way is up, yay! I couldn't care less if it snows or not really, at least we know the sun is coming back :-)

• Like 2

Posted

... at least we know the sun is coming back :-)

It never really went away here - it still made the most of its lesser time above the horizon. Here's hoping to a cold spring and washout summer to make amends. It's only fair...

• Like 3

Posted

i doubt joe public would have noticed the change yet, sunset is only about 15 mins later now than it was on the shortest day, obviously if you study the sunrise and sunset times everyday you are going to notice it though, the end of the month is when there is a significant difference in daylight really, the dark cold season is such a short season though, it baffles me why people moan about it, it only felt like yesterday it was still summer now we only a have a few weeks of proper winter left, if it was early july we'd still have over 2 months left where we could realistictly get warm/hot weather, snow in march is probably rarer here than warmth in october

Edited by Snowy Easterlies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The cold dark season really begins in late October when the clocks go back so weve been in it for nearly 2 and a half months. Theres roughly a 3 month period with sunsets before 5pm which is reasonably long.

• Like 1

Posted

But you could also say that only 3 months of the year have true long, potentially warm evenings where the sun sets after half 8 and its light until after 9. Roughly beginning of May to the start of August. The other 6 months are the inbetween months.

• Like 1

Posted

Boo hoo roll on the darkness :spiteful: it's supposed to be dark in winter time, daylight should be added to the swear filter ;-) already talk of Spring/Summer, gave me heartburn.

• Like 5

Posted

But you could also say that only 3 months of the year have true long, potentially warm evenings where the sun sets after half 8 and its light until after 9. Roughly beginning of May to the start of August. The other 6 months are the inbetween months.

if we're being pedantic i's say the light evenings are for 5 months of the year and the dark evenings are for 4 months of the year, the rest are the inbetween months

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

if we're being pedantic i's say the light evenings are for 5 months of the year and the dark evenings are for 4 months of the year, the rest are the inbetween months

Guess it depends where you draw the line between dark & light evenings... But true we use the clock move to favour light in the early evenings which makes perfect sense given more people are awake at that time then in early mornings.

But it's still sunset at 7:30pm after the clock move in March - hardly a long light evening.. In my book sunset needs to be close to or beyond 9pm to be a true 'light' evening - so mid May to early August - about 3 months. 

As for a true dark evening - well pre 5pm sunset sounds about right so late October to early Feb - about 3.5 months. 

So in fact the dark is longer than the light in my book! But someone else might argue post 7:30pm is a light evening and only pre 4:30pm sunset is dark so.....

Posted

I'm happy when we get 12 hours +daylight :)...

We are getting there. Now gaining almost 2 minutes of daylight per day in an evening.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm sooooo excited for summer.

My SAD hasn't been as bad as normal this year and I think i'm learning to appreciate winter a lot more, but crikey, the thought of summer makes me moist.

I was ill most of last year so didn't really get the chance to appreciate summer and the storms it brought with it, but this year I plan to savour every moment.

We are even borrowing my friend's parent's RV to drive across to Belgium and France one weekend in the summer on a storm chasing adventure. Even if we don't see anything it will be a nice little trip:)

• Like 2

Posted

The worst time for me is during November where the evenings have just started to get truly dark and you know its a very long time before the clocks go forward again. The darkness turns appropriate for the festive period with all the Christmas lights up. Even though January brings a slow improvement in day length, there is  still the realisation that its still no way near good enough. I notice that by February the sun has a slightly brighter glow at midday and that trend continues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Sure its getting lighter but sooo slowly especially with the endless cloud & rain. January is a real uphill struggle for me (and many others too I'm sure) - just need more sleep, more food and are less active & definitely less happy. About mid Feb that spark from the upcoming spring appears and mood lifts! Ready for it especially as I'm off to Peru end of Feb!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I do not let the long dark nights bother me so much, I tend to live in the lounge during the week when not at work, keep cosy and go out for walks at the weekends when the weather permits it, come the spring I will start to turn my attention back to going outdoors more, with so many nature reserves and parks in this area there are plenty to visit, and all within ten miles or so.

Posted

Had to knock an hour in total off the light timer today, not bad so far.

Posted

The upwards trend continues. Now 35 mins extra daylight on an evening.

• Like 1

Posted

nice innit.  looking forward to getting the warm longer days back.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Now we are gaining 2 minutes each afternoon (14 minutes a week) the first sunset after 16:30 for me since November 2nd happens this coming Thursday

The mornings are still on an alternating pattern of 2 minutes one morning and 1 minute the next  and it stays like this for me until February 7th

4 weeks and 5 days till I have the first 10hr + day of daylight Since October 22nd

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

When do we get past 5pm?

Posted

When do we get past 5pm?

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/london?month=2

7th of Feb for london is 5pm

Posted

Just had the latest leccy bill land on the mat, can we get a move on with the warmer days and longer daylight please? this long dark and cold is costing me a fortune!

• Like 1

Posted

Just had the latest leccy bill land on the mat, can we get a move on with the warmer days and longer daylight please? this long dark and cold is costing me a fortune!

It's only money. The mental anguish caused by summer is far more costly. Only a little over 5 months til the days start to shorten. Here we go again....

• Like 1

Posted

4.45 and still light, was dark at this time a few weeks ago. Always seems to go from getting dark at 4 to 5 quickly, but then takes forever to get past 6. By which time it's light at 6am. Put them forward in February to give it a kick up the whatsit!

• Like 1