Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather (i.e nothing that deviates too much from the norm)

Am I right in thinking that the sun's apparent motion along the ecliptic is more eastward than southwards as we get closer to the winter solstice, and this is why the amount of daylight we lose each day is starting to get less each day now?

Edited by November2005Fan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Just 20 minutes of daylight left to lose now for the afternoon tomorrow's sunset is 16:00 and the earliest it sets is December 11th at 15:40

4 weeks this coming Sunday we'll have the shortest day, its flown by this year before we know it, it will be the longest day!

Before you know it, it will be the year 2150 and everyone alive on Earth today will be dead!

• Like 2

Posted

Only a month to the shortest day now. Once January arrives the evenings soon get lighter. The dark mornings don't bother me at all, but I loathe dark late afternoons!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

:hi: Sir..............the evenings will start too get lighter by 16th December........The days will start too warm....up quickly with the sun rising higher...and higher after 21st. nDec.......but jolly cold now -2c......nuff said...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

:hi: Sir..............the evenings will start too get lighter by 16th December........The days will start too warm....up quickly with the sun rising higher...and higher after 21st. nDec.......but jolly cold now -2c......nuff said...

You have not given your location!

Not sure what you mean by the days starting to warm after the 16th???!!!..Winter has not even started by then and you could not even have said that about march 2013 !!

In one weeks time we will be within 5 mins of the earliest evening...its practically getting lighter already!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

For my location we will have gained 3 minutes of daylight on an evening in a months time. But we will have lost 25 minutes in the morning. But for me the light gained at the end of the day is more significant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

For my location we will have gained 3 minutes of daylight on an evening in a months time. But we will have lost 25 minutes in the morning. But for me the light gained at the end of the day is more significant.

From tomorrow I only have 5 more minutes to lose in the afternoons till December 11th the light gained in the afternoons in more beneficial then the mornings for me

3 weeks today will be the shortest day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Thank God we're getting closer to evenings getting longer again and my suspected SAD might start to get some relief.

• Like 2

Posted

Before you know it, it will be the year 2150 and everyone alive on Earth today will be dead!

Hope not because the following year there will be an amazing total eclipse of the sun in which the bulk of the UK will enjoy including your and my area. We only have to live another 130 or so years....and not go blind or senile...🙠Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted

Hope not because the following year there will be an amazing total eclipse of the sun in which the bulk of the UK will enjoy including your and my area. We only have to live another 130 or so years....and not go blind or senile...

There's a good one next year though on 20th March when 90% of the sun will be covered (here at least). It starts at around 8:30am and finishes a couple of hours later. Apart from a 92% covered partial eclipse in August 2026 its the best until 2090!

Knowing our luck it will be cloudy as always!

Posted

There's a good one next year though on 20th March when 90% of the sun will be covered (here at least). It starts at around 8:30am and finishes a couple of hours later. Apart from a 92% covered partial eclipse in August 2026 its the best until 2090!

Knowing our luck it will be cloudy as always!

Ties in nicely next year's Atlantic solar eclipse with this thread because it occurs on the date of the spring equinox.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well we're definitely in the gloomy part of the year and boy is it driving me mad this year. I've never defined myself as a SAD sufferer bar what most of us get - less energy, need more sleep & food, etc - but this year it has been far worse. I think I was fooled by last winter in Berlin which was very sunny (and being on the top floor you catch all the sun) but so far late autumn and now into winter has been endlessly gloomy. Thick low cloud and low temperatures dominate with little day/night variation. Actually finding myself missing a good old Atlantic storm which along with rain in general are almost completely absent in the cold part of the year.

Could just do with jumping into 2-3 days of July to charge up my batteries ready for Christmas! Or more realistically if this damn cloud would break up for a few days.

Gladly the solstice isn't far off and we at last begin the long climb back to happy land...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Perhaps the weather listened to my rant - we've got a clear sunny day today at last!

• Like 1

Posted

Just 2 minutes of daylight to lose in the evening and this time next week evenings will start getting later !!!!

• Like 4

Posted

I guess I'm strange in that I tend to get kind of attached to the amount of daylight in each season. I begin to love the short days in winter and long days in summer as they become established, and in a way I am sad to see them go. I maybe unique In that the realisation of a turning point on the solstices is accompanied by slight disappointment, regardless of whether it's December 21 or June 21.

Edited by March Blizzard

Posted

Just 2 minutes of daylight to lose in the evening and this time next week evenings will start getting later !!!!

I thought levels stay the same until the 20/21 Dec and then we a change.. There is a significant time lag effect between latest sunrise and earliest sunset of the year, I think the latest sunrise doesn't occur until around the 28th December and plateaus for a week or so, I always think the mornings in early January are the darkest of the year.

The reason for neither latest sunrise and  earliest sunset occurring on the 21st Dec, is due to the tilt of the earth.

Still it will be a good 5 weeks yet from now when we really start to notice increasing daylight in the evening..

The dark days before Christmas continue..

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

I thought levels stay the same until the 20/21 Dec and then we a change.. There is a significant time lag effect between latest sunrise and earliest sunset of the year, I think the latest sunrise doesn't occur until around the 28th December and plateaus for a week or so, I always think the mornings in early January are the darkest of the year.

The reason for neither latest sunrise and  earliest sunset occurring on the 21st Dec, is due to the tilt of the earth.

Still it will be a good 5 weeks yet from now when we really start to notice increasing daylight in the evening..

The dark days before Christmas continue..

you are right there are only seconds different over a few days then only minutes but if you do watch your minutes and the weather is not too gloomy you can tell by xmas  that the evenings are lighter and yes the first few days of January are just as dark as any morning !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

This time next week, the sun will set a few seconds later than it did the day before!

Marvellous. But i do agree with March Blizzard, you do get acclimatised to the day length after a while and just accept it. But i still long for the big day in December when the sun sets that bit later.

I like to keep an eye in this: http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/kingston-upon-hull.html

• Like 3

Posted

Roll on mid January when we can actually appreciate (slightly) longer daylight hours.

you are right there are only seconds different over a few days then only minutes but if you do watch your minutes and the weather is not too gloomy you can tell by xmas  that the evenings are lighter and yes the first few days of January are just as dark as any morning !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Sunset is 3.52 until the 18th then from the 19th its  3.53 and xmas day is 3.56 

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/stoke-on-trent?month=12&year=2014

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

About to turn the corner again in the next few days..sunsets are now at their earliest and will start to reverse very shortly although sunrise continue to get later for another cpl weeks or so..this time next month we will start to really notice the lengthening days again

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The first stage on the road towards summer begins soon. And if the weather is going to stay as boring as it is now for us southerners winter can buggar off! :D

• Like 5