Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

We get these same stories and debates every single year but nothing ever changes!

Well the clocks do, LOL

I find it all tiresome.

There is never going to be a fit all solution. Scotland having a separate time zone is not a solution because what about those who live in the far north of England? People who offer this as a solution must think that there is a dramatic change in sunset time at the Border. There isn't. Would it be fair these people?

Talk about boosting tourism and outdoor leisure if we keep to BST. Why would it, I would have thought these are dictated by weather conditions? Also Blackpool exploit the darker nights during autumn with the illuminations to attract tourism.

Adapt is what I say.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

At last someone tells truth, as you say its a very slow process especially mornings here in the midlands, mornings not much lighter in late January than late December, warmies always hype up the slightly lighter late afternoons early in the year but most people don't notice it until the clocks go forward in late March and people can have a few hours of light after 6 pm.

I'd argue many notice it long before the clock move. In December it is dark at 4pm - a clear hour before work ends. By late Feb its light on leaving work at 5pm. Very noticeable and 'at last' the truth!

Posted

In December it is dark at 4pm - a clear hour before work ends.

6 hours before my work starts/ 2 hours after it ends, or 2 hours into it depending on what shift I'm on. How many people hold down the mythical 9-5 anyway, these days?  Botts, you need to choose another career path if your daylight cravings are becoming so obtrusive.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

People go on about wanting the extra hour of an evening. What exactly are you going to do with the extra daylight on a soggy, windy and cold evening anyway? It's not as if you can sit outside and enjoy warm temperatures in the depths of winter.

Meanwhile, dark by 5pm today - winter's coming :D

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 5

Posted

I'd argue many notice it long before the clock move. In December it is dark at 4pm - a clear hour before work ends. By late Feb its light on leaving work at 5pm. Very noticeable and 'at last' the truth!

open the blinds at work and you'll still have almost all day to see daylight

personally i don't know why people moan about darkness so much, people call you a wimp if you moan about cold weather or hot weather but for some reason its normal to hate darkness, feeling cold or feeling hot is a far worse feeling physically than seeing a bit of darkness in the evenings which is more of a mental feeling

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 2

Posted

Another thing: I prefer the model timings during GMT :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Another thing: I prefer the model timings during GMT :D

I concur, I can watch the pub run before going to bed as I get up at 6am so usually go to sleep before 11pm.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

I concur, I can watch the pub run before going to bed as I get up at 6am so usually go to sleep before 11pm.

It's also a pain doing forecasts to BST with the models in GMT, gets you in a right twist. Won't have that problem for another 5 months now though :D

Posted

People go on about wanting the extra hour of an evening. What exactly are you going to do with the extra daylight on a soggy, windy and cold evening anyway? It's not as if you can sit outside and enjoy warm temperatures in the depths of winter.

And in the interests of fairness, they've had the last 6 months for that type of nonsense - sheesh how much more do they want?? Anyways, ten to four now and the light is already starting to fade. Awesome!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Well I for one could go geocaching, possible still yes but not so easy in the dark. Rain or cold on the other hand is mostly irrelevant. GMT is a pain in the rear for all but the very shortest daylight period when time zones really make no difference.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Time of year when my electric bill rockets because of yard floodlights ,I just wish we moved summertime to end of February instead of March ...

You need to change your floodlighting, LED floodlighting, So, so much cheaper to run and you'll virtually never have to change them pesky Halogen/Tungsten bulbs.

Energy Consumed: 60w

Light output approx: 300w

Life of LEDs: - up to 50,000 hours

(at 3 hours/day, approx. 45 years)

• Like 2

You need to change your floodlighting, LED floodlighting, So, so much cheaper to run and you'll virtually never have to change them pesky Halogen/Tungsten bulbs.

Energy Consumed: 60w

Light output approx: 300w

Life of LEDs: - up to 50,000 hours

(at 3 hours/day, approx. 45 years)

that's worth some serious consideration , thanks :)...
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

that's worth some serious consideration , thanks :)...

Depending on how big your yard is Moki , you can get Halogen Equivalent of a 1000 Watt LED light that only use 100w.... Now that's energy saving :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Really noticed the change today, sun was becoming weak by 3:00PM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

open the blinds at work and you'll still have almost all day to see daylight

personally i don't know why people moan about darkness so much, people call you a wimp if you moan about cold weather or hot weather but for some reason its normal to hate darkness, feeling cold or feeling hot is a far worse feeling physically than seeing a bit of darkness in the evenings which is more of a mental feeling

Blinds always open in my office (which this past year has been in my home). Like to be flooded in sunlight on those sunny days (like today). However when the sun is directly shining in your eyes you have little choice but to protect yourself from it.

It's not about hating darkness - no I like it during the night otherwise sleeping is far from ideal, plus its nice to see stars and such. It's just tough when it takes over the daytime hours. When you're still in the office as it goes from crisp sunshine to pitch black your brain tends to slow right down as it really feels like the working day should be over. Gives me headaches it does. Also you should compare your personal safety for the following evening commutes:

- a bright August afternoon with light traffic or,

- a damp & dark November afternoon with very heavy traffic.

Which do you think feels safer for cycling, driving or just walking?

Also it just makes you feel like you have less time to do things in - get home in daylight and you might go for a walk/bike ride, work on the garden, etc. Not so in darkness.

Still you get used to it as it does drag on for many months! And what is life if it didn't have contrast...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Roughly another 35-40mins of afternoon daylight to be chopped off before the earliest sunset. The 14th December or thereabouts is the big date in my calendar.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Roughly another 35-40mins of afternoon daylight to be chopped off before the earliest sunset. The 14th December or thereabouts is the big date in my calendar.

Yep not long now till the milestone is reached and the afternoons get longer 16:21 sunset today, 15:41 is the earliest it sets here so just 40 minutes to lose now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Thankfully still just about bright here at 5pm.

Hi - it would help if you entered your location into your profile so that we knew just where "here" is.

Posted

We are certainly in the darkest quarter of the year now - November to January before improvement slowly makes its presence felt in February.

Although I'm no fan of November the dark evenings are somewhat ok up to and including Christmas. It's January and early February that's the long painful slog in the dark. Christmas behind us and spring still so far off.. Tried to plan my belated honeymoon to Peru in that period but sadly have to wait until end of Feb. Really enjoyed going to Barbados in Jan 2011 - lovely escape!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just 20 minutes of daylight left to lose now for the afternoon tomorrow's sunset is 16:00 and the earliest it sets is December 11th at 15:40

4 weeks this coming Sunday we'll have the shortest day, its flown by this year before we know it, it will be the longest day!

• Like 4