Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a metre of lying snow

Big day for Longyearbyen today! Once the Sun goes down they don't get to see it for 4 months ( I hope there aren't any vampires there now!). My day length has shortened from 19+ hours at midsummer to 9+ hours at the moment and this is due to go down further to about 6 hours ( or less) at midwinter ( I live just south of Bergen).

This is the worst time of year for this location as heavy Atlantic storms make the sunrise and sunset times a bit irrelevant due to the cloud cover. I look forward to the snow because the Sun reflects nicely off the snow and can actually give one a slight tan.

Roll on November/December.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Try doing nights! Personally I love it - none of that dreadful sunshine nonsense and it gives you incredible flexibility during the day. More folk should try it - especially summer types who whinge and moan about being stuck in the office on 'nice' days. Nick L - how are you finding night shifts?

You are probably right,a trial at nights maybe a change but obviously depends what you are doing.I have spent most my life farming and building and you are limited to what you can do in the night.I work as an engineer now and travel a lot with many 4 am starts but I prefer evenings working to early starts but am getting used to it !

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

At last! :D  It certainly adds a seasonal feel to things once the clocks go back.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Final day of BST which means we are now just 8 weeks of the shortest day

Yes but only 7 weeks until the evenings start to get lighter !!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Id much rather have the evenings getting lighter sooner that the mornings, rather than the other way round. Sunset time is more important to me and a greater indicator of the turning of the corner towards longer daylight hours. So the sooner it happens the better.

• Like 1

Posted

At last! :D  It certainly adds a seasonal feel to things once the clocks go back.

depends how early you have to get up, it will be getting light at 6:30am tomorrow morning here

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Should We Turn The Clocks Back?

Clocks go back this evening, meaning British Summer Time has officially ended- but could it be the last time we gain an extra hour in bed? Sky's Emma Birchley reports.

http://news.sky.com/video/1360364/should-we-turn-the-clocks-back

Eventually I can see the clock change in October getting scrapped its just a matter of when it happens now

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

GMT is fine in winter and I like it mainly in the run up to Christmas as it adds to the festive feel in the run up to Christmas with all the lights etc but after then its just a nuisance. But I really appreciate and so do many others the lighter evenings in Summer. For those that complain they cant sleep, get proper blaackout curtains etc. You clearly dont try hard enough if its so much of an issue!

Just remember that without the sun none of us would be here right now....

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 5

Posted

Russia are going back to winter time all year round tomorrow after a 3 year experiment to move to summer time all year round proved unpopular, It will also increase its time zones from nine to 11

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29773559

Meanwhile the UK could be moving in line with central Europe if plans to change the time zone are approved.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-25/uk-clocks-could-soon-tick-in-time-with-rest-of-europe/

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

to do what? sit in the beer garden, cut the grass, go to the beach? i do agree the clocks should go forward in early march though

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 4

Posted

their latitude is a lot further south than us and they still put their clocks back, do they complain about the clocks going back every year like we do

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Personally it doesn't really matter too much, the hour is negligible- but I always like walking home at 4pm on December days, add to the festivities.

Mind you, it being dark at 9:30am would certainly be interesting. I can see the point of moving to CEST during Summer though, when it's light at 3am, and dark at 11. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its a nuisance in November. What is one supposed to do in 6 hours of darkness apart from watch tv and eat? But as others have said, it does seem appropriate during the festive season to have the sun setting early showing off peoples christmas lights and trees in the front room. Then when Christmas is out of the way the nights are drawing out again. Therefore Christmas acts as a welcome distraction.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Its a nuisance in November. What is one supposed to do in 6 hours of darkness apart from watch tv and eat? But as others have said, it does seem appropriate during the festive season to have the sun setting early showing off peoples christmas lights and trees in the front room. Then when Christmas is out of the way the nights are drawing out again. Therefore Christmas acts as a welcome distraction.

Nothing like night walks. Get hammered? Astronomy?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Personally, for me, I hate the dark nights.

The only time I ever savor the dark is when there's snow lying on the ground and it's a sunny day, then I can't wait for the sun to bugger off so that the snow can survive one more night ready for a top up.

Other than that, I find it a nuisance. I'm never up before about 8am anyway, so I never feel the benefit of the extra hour in the morning, but I do feel the negative effects of it in the day when I'm coming home from university and it's pitch black outside.

I love being out there, getting out and having a game of football in the evening until 9/10pm. Unfortunately there's about 200 days to wait until I can have that back.

Siri says it's 155 days until BST makes it's triumphant return, let's hope it FLIES by!

• Like 2

Posted

Finally! Today it's going to get dark at a sensible time. Going to enjoy the next 6 weeks or so as things continue to improve further, until the pendulum swings and the whole sorry cycle starts over. Bit light this morning tho'!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Fair enough. If BST all year, won't work, I'd at least like them to adjust the timings. Maybe go foward on the first Sunday of March and then back on the first Sunday of November, a bit like what the Americans do.

Yes it should deffo be like that. The waste of light in March especially is just daft with it completely light when the majority are still asleep but dark in the evening rush hour when almost all are awake. 

I think that change would not upset anyone too much and would make a positive difference to saving energy (plus get that lovely "at last its light again!" feeling a few weeks earlier). Any other change (going to Euro time or sticking to GMT to BST all year) are likely to annoy some group of people or other despite some of the positives of the change (although sticking to GMT in summer would be ludicrous without major shifts in daily schedules in all sectors of the country).

• Like 1

Correct but it's negligible.

For instance, a month after the earliest sunset, here in Manchester, the sunset time is only half an hour later.

At last someone tells truth, as you say its a very slow process especially mornings here in the midlands, mornings not much lighter in late January than late December, warmies always hype up the slightly lighter late afternoons early in the year but most people don't notice it until the clocks go forward in late March and people can have a few hours of light after 6 pm.

• Like 1

Posted

Fair enough. If BST all year, won't work, I'd at least like them to adjust the timings. Maybe go forward on the first Sunday of March and then back on the first Sunday of November, a bit like what the Americans do.

Totally agree March is wasted for daylight the 1st of March is a Sunday next year and the sun rises at 06:54 for me so if we put them forward then it would be 07:54 where as in December the latest it rises 08:28 so we'd have no problems with that certainly wouldn't be too dark for kids going to school

• Like 1