Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

This weekend I think marks 13 weeks since the longest day and 13 weeks till the shortest day

Good. Although the days will continue to shorten for a while yet, the worst of the descent into darkness in terms of it's speed will soon slow down. And then we will be closer to it getting lighter again than the other way. :D

• Like 2

Posted

So December 13 is the turning point for me because at least the evenings have turned, and we're now at the midway point.

That's my birthday so I'm all in favour of that being the turning point. :D

I'd say today is the day where I've  really noticed the loss of light, mostly because it's still pretty warm outside but the sun has just set.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It's only just now roughly where it's got totally dark. Not too shabby. It's so lovely and pleasantly warm though. Gorgeous. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

It's only just now roughly where it's got totally dark. Not too shabby. It's so lovely and pleasantly warm though. Gorgeous. :)

I am turning the lights on by 7.30pm now on a cloudy day its more like 7pm

Posted

I am turning the lights on by 7.30pm now on a cloudy day its more like 7pm

Indeed not too dissimilar here. Though at least there is still some evening light on good days. Just over a month till the clocks go back though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Indeed not too dissimilar here. Though at least there is still some evening light on good days. Just over a month till the clocks go back though!

Aaarrrrgggghhhh!!! :fool:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The only good thing about the clock move is the extra hour on Sunday!

Otherwise its a pain in the backside and downright dangerous in the evening rush hour. Back in Nottingham it always coincided with the highest traffic volumes of the year- students in their first term, kids coming back from half term and all the xmas shoppers. And all suddenly plunged into darkness when many are not used to driving in the dark. Vile time for a cyclist I can tell you! Made worse by many cyclist who'd forgotten (I assume) that it gets dark now so don't have any lights on!

• Like 1

Posted

I don't wish to trigger an age-old debate, but one of the arguments against BST all-year round is that people would drive to work in the dark in the winter which is apparently more dangerous as they're less alert. It's the opposite for me though (and surely many others) - I find I'm more alert in the morning when driving (especially in the dark), rather than in the evening after a day in the office.

Edited by h2005uk
  • Like 2

Posted

Anothing thing that's annoying with GMT is all of that wasted daylight you have in February and March, first thing in a morning. You can have virtually broad daylight at 06:30 when most people are still in bed and then pitch blackness at 18:30 when most people are still on the roads.

I personally think we should just stay on BST all year.

You are never going to get a fit all solution for this, no matter how cleverly contrived.

Posted

i don't want BST in winter as feb will feel like a spring month if it gets dark at 6-7pm. but with the scots voting no hopefully we will still use GMT 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I think BST all year would use the daylight more effectively than switching to GMT does. But that's just my opinion.

If you want BST in winter surely you would want BST+1 in summer also,we would all benefit for the vast majority of the time if you happen to like daylight and don't work as a postman in northern Shetland !!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine

If you want BST in winter surely you would want BST+1 in summer also,we would all benefit for the vast majority of the time if you happen to like daylight and don't work as a postman in northern Shetland !!!

. I agree what is the point of it being light at 3.30am in the summer and getting dark by 9.30 pm then dark at 4pm mid winter hate it! And we would be more inline with europe
  • Like 2

Posted

people wouldn't be out after 10pm though would they, BST+1 may be beneficial for electricity reasons but that's all, anyway i want evenings to feel like evenings i don't still want baking hot sun on me at 7-8pm, i don't have problems sleeping in light anyway, if we were on BST+1 now it would be dark when i get up, albeit it would soon get light but in october it would be dark during rush hour esp in the north and west and in scotland and northern ireland

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

This is the time of year where the amount of daylight plummets in my part of the world :(

Both good and bad though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

I love when the clocks go back, its just another preparation for winter. If we can have cold crisp and luckily snowy nights too - all the better!

• Like 3

Posted

I get up just before 7am and drive off on my commute around 7:15am. I've really noticed the change in sunrise recently - over the last 10 days it's gone from being light when I get up to being almost dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Now rapidly approaching the time when darkness infects the working day. Changed a bit this year to creep up on me as I work till 6pm instead of 5pm now. Previously the clock move dumped me into work darkness whereas now i'm starting to struggle to see as it approaches. Few more days then the lamp must go on during the working day, and remain so until February sometime. A depressing change that's for sure!

Posted

its a great change halloween and bonfire night are coming up it would be silly if it still got dark at 9 or 10pm now, anyway even in november it will still be daylight all day long, people just happen to finish work when it gets dark that's all

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I agree, it would be silly if we had light evenings now as it would be completely wasted light due to the wind and rain. I like light evenings, but you have to have the right conditions to go with them to make them useable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Dark when I wake up at 6.30-7am for work, seem to be all of sudden losing daylight each end of the day now and quickly. Soon be going to work and coming home in the dark. Really hope we get some nice frosty calm weather over winter, I hate commuting in the dark through wind and rain.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Ugh.

The only time I like the dark mornings and evenings is when it is Christmas and the drive home looks pretty with all the light.

Ugh.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Well it's nearly dark here now what with this unsettled dull/cloudy weather.