Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

still not completely dark even at 9 30pm, i hope the scots don't go independent cos we will probably stay on BST time in winter and go BST+1 in summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

still not completely dark even at 9 30pm, i hope the scots don't go independent cos we will probably stay on BST time in winter and go BST+1 in summer

Yep its possible

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28744490

Personally I'm in favour of it, but of course so will be against it

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3

Posted

I'm in favour of it too. The extra hour in winter would be especially welcome, not pitch black by 16:30.

Yuk! Isn't everyone sick to the back teeth of it still being light at that time? I know I certainly am!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I'm in favour of it too. The extra hour in winter would be especially welcome, not pitch black by 16:30.

In deepest December it wouldn't get properly light until 9.30. Weird thinking about it that way.

Posted

Yep its possible

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28744490

Personally I'm in favour of it, but of course so will be against it

Interesting you would be in favour of it as you are so far north, in England terms.

Don't see how the sunsetting an hour later will boost tourism in that article above? Tourism is dictated by the weather more than anything not by what time the sun is going to set. Having said that would Blackpool be impress? Their tourism is boosted by the shortening daylight because of the illuminations. They were turned on Friday.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Really don't understand how BST in winter would be an improvement. Like others said, it would still be dark several hours after most have got up. That's far worse than it being dark of an evening, much more difficult to wake up with no daylight.

Just leave it as it is.

• Like 4

Posted

most of the general public want BST in winter but i think they are a bit naive and if we did stay on BST they probably wouldn't like it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

most of the general public want BST in winter but i think they are a bit naive and if we did stay on BST they probably wouldn't like it

do they??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Yep BST+1 would be MUCH more useful in summer with less wasted daylight in the early hours, however the short daylight hours in winter would still be an issue regardless of time zone in operation.

IMHO the benefits are to switch to BST and BST +1, as taken over a whole year, that is the better option for the majority of people.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

In deepest December it wouldn't get properly light until 9.30. Weird thinking about it that way.

In the depths of winter there are no days here and certainly at your location that are not light by 8.00 am,at least enough to see well and in nortern Scotland 20 mins behind here so I do not know where they get these 9.30/10 am  darkness from,most people are just thinking of setting off to work at that time and the kids are still eating their coca pops !!!!

Posted

I like it just the way it is.

Winter wouldn't be winter if it was lighter longer. Would totally fly in the face of the 41 winters I've known.

It is what it is, and always has been.

• Like 1

Posted

What is wrong with BST all year? That way we get lighter evenings in winter but the daylight changes naturally without those sudden lurches associated with changing the clocks. The sudden plunge to pre-5pm sunsets in late October is especially annoying, particularly if it occurs at the start of the half term week. And the useless 6am sunrises in March, what a waste.

• Like 1

Posted

Now that it is Autumn (the 1st of September), we will really notice it getting dark in the evenings rapidly now. The dark evenings rapidly increase and ramp up at this time of year. 3 weeks yesterday we have the equinox meaning that 3 weeks today days will have more darkness than daylight until next March. A depressing thought.

• Like 2

Posted

First pre-20:00 sunset or me this evening. Those long nights are drawing near...

not really, it is still three weeks till the equinox, plus it takes about 30 mins to get dark after sunset and it's light 20 mins before sunrise, we still get about 11-12 hours of light till about mid october, it's not till november the nights are a lot longer than days really

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

not really, it is still three weeks till the equinox, plus it takes about 30 mins to get dark after sunset and it's light 20 mins before sunrise, we still get about 11-12 hours of light till about mid october, it's not till november the nights are a lot longer than days really

Yes, and in any case, when it gets dark all you have to do is stick your middle and forefingers on that thing sticking out the wall and hey presto, you have light again!!!

• Like 1

Posted

when it's dark whilst im having my breakfast in the morning and dark when having my dinner in the evening then i'd say the days are significantly shorter, greenland and iceland's days are significantly shorter compared to 2 months ago

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

What is wrong with BST all year? That way we get lighter evenings in winter but the daylight changes naturally without those sudden lurches associated with changing the clocks. The sudden plunge to pre-5pm sunsets in late October is especially annoying, particularly if it occurs at the start of the half term week. And the useless 6am sunrises in March, what a waste.

I would agree. Forget the solstice periods when you either have wonderfully long days or horribly short ones, it's the inbetween times that would benefit most from staying on BST all year.

The plunge in late October is especially dangerous - the evening rush hour suddenly in darkness and at a time when traffic volumes are at their yearly max (well sure were in Nottingham anyway - Oct-Dec was always the worst).

And also in late Feb & early March daylight is wasted before many are awake whilst we still have to flick the switch at 5 or 6pm when almost everyone is awake and doing things.

Perhaps if GMT was only for mid Nov to mid Jan it'd be ok!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

In just over a week we will be half way towards the night time getting lighter !!!!!

• Like 3

Posted

In just over a week we will be half way towards the night time getting lighter !!!!!

Endure my friend endure: the nights are closing in...............................................

• Like 1