Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I lost track of time last night and guessed by the light that it must have been 10ish, but it was only just before 9. With the significant cool down and nights closing in it really did feel like late September/early October. Not mid way through August.

I really hope we get some more sunny spells, not ready to let go of summer yet.

Posted

Really noticed it last night, dull out side, we had the lights on at the back of seven.........and the shocker for me was the huge house spiders running across the carpet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

thank god we aren't on BST +1 as it would still be getting dark at about 9:30pm

And the dark mornings would be even later. Dark mornings are far more depressing than dark evenings IMO. Much more difficult to wake up when it isn't light until gone 8am.

Edited by Nick L

Posted

yeah but it would still be getting light before 7am now, i agree though i don't like dark mornings, but i love dark evenings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Prefer light mornings and light evenings... I think 7am is early enough for sunrise but evenings I'm much happier with it closer to 10pm! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Love this time of year , the transition between late summer and early autumn. Gone has the glary light from high summer, and the thought of the longer cozy nights ahead now ,really make me feel comfortable and happy......and the change is really noticeable now.. :good:  :air_kiss:  :air_kiss:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Prefer light mornings and light evenings... I think 7am is early enough for sunrise but evenings I'm much happier with it closer to 10pm! 

Yes it allows more freedom to do what ever one wishes when its light. The darker nights are like a vice closing in ever tighter. Soon the window of doing stuff outdoors will close in the late Afternoon and one will be restricted to the house from getting home from work till going to bed. But tbh that seems rather fitting for winter as the weather aint that conducive for spending time outdoors anyway.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I feel a bit sorry for people who experience SAD (and Laserguy!). The change in daylight hours doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I quite enjoy the variety throughout the year.

I don't know if I have SAD, but I certainly get more low come around October/November. I just love seeing the sun up at 5AM and not setting until 9-10PM. It gives you plenty of time to do things outdoors after getting back from work. 

Many things depress me about Autumn and especially Winter. The cold, the cloud, rain and lack of sunlight. It's just restrictive to an active outdoor lifestyle. If I want to go for a jog in Winter I often have to battle through cold and often ice. Also, getting out of bed in the mornings is much harder. 

I could probably cope with much of Autumn and Winter if it was warmer or sunnier. But it's a culmination of everything that just makes it a depressing season to me. The only thing I like about winter is Christmas. Aside from that it's cold, grey, dark, often rainy and more expensive in fuel bills. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes Christmas... 'an island of joy in a sea of despair'.. ha ok I'm not quite that bad in winter but definitely November & January are real low points for mood - very restrictive months for doing fun things. Good for getting in some pc gaming or working on software projects but since I'm on the computer all day for work doing it all evening & weekend too is not good!

Anyway, back to the balcony to harvest chillies and trim the tomato plants of decaying leaves.... 

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Christmas... 'an island of joy in a sea of despair'..

Don't like Xmas one bit, so I see it as an island of despair in a sea of joy! It is the thing which spoils the winter season, for me. Meanwhile, it's still unacceptably light top and bottom but we're getting there.

Posted

Don't like Xmas one bit, so I see it as an island of despair in a sea of joy! It is the thing which spoils the winter season, for me. Meanwhile, it's still unacceptably light top and bottom but we're getting there.

Out of curiosity what irks you more, Laserguy - daylight or warmth? Is August "preferred" to June because of less daylight, despite normally being a warmer month?

Posted

Really noticed it last night, dull out side, we had the lights on at the back of seven.........and the shocker for me was the huge house spiders running across the carpet.

Yeah had a couple of absolute beasts here the last couple of weeks, a sure sign that Autumn is fast approaching.

Doesn't last long from memory though, they tend to disappear back into walls/floors again before the end of August I think?

The trick I think, for anyone with arachnophobia, is light. They only come out in the dark normally.

Once I've turned the lights off downstairs of an evening, I try and avoid heading back down if possible!

Edited by nicklon1

Posted

Out of curiosity what irks you more, Laserguy - daylight or warmth? Is August "preferred" to June because of less daylight, despite normally being a warmer month?

There's little between them, but I'd say the light. Excessive warmth is bad enough but I don't moan during a mild winter - at least the dark is guaranteed!

• Like 1

Posted

Here the sun goes behind a hill at sunset so that's an hour or so less, it really seems to make a big difference now with official sunset just after 8pm but it disappears by 7pm.The 'angle of attack'  :cc_confused:  changes significantly too so it seems to go down quicker altogether than in mid-summer!Easy to get caught out if you need good light for something outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Bit of a cliche but winter, summer, spring, autumn; whatever your favourite season is better in contrast to those you don't like so much.

What gets me is when seasons don't meet my expectations. No snow in winter, no sun in summer, not text book transitions etc.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Very noticeable tonight with the unsettled weather and low cloud. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Is there anything you actually like apart from cold, dark, rainy days around the winter solstice?

It does surprise me that laserguy does not like xmas as it is the darkest time of the year but you have to accept he is 'out there' on his own with his views.Maybe he has one eye anticipating the cold weeks to come and the mornings still drawing in until the years end but in the back of his mind it pains him that the evenings have been getting later since the 13th and it is almost noticeable!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Is there anything you actually like apart from cold, dark, rainy days around the winter solstice?

Come on, that's like asking your average Joe if they like anything other than warm, sunny days in June. Different weather/season preference, is all.
  • Like 2

Posted

They're the best, but the whole Nov - Feb period will do fine. Outside that I just wanna hibernate. Can feel the ol' sap rising right now tho'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Had car lights on for first time coming home from work, although was working a bit late.