Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

yeah but its still getting light at about 5am, when its getting light at 8am in winter that's better, but even that is still early if you think about it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

yeah but its still getting light at about 5am, when its getting light at 8am in winter that's better, but even that is still early if you think about it

You could always team up with laserguy and build a house above the arctic circle for the winter half of the year before moving to the summer house below the Antarctic circle,that should lessen your daylight hours....don't forget your vitamin d tablets though!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes the fading light is certainly noticeable now.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Daylight is really decaying here now, the lamp-posts are already fully switched on and it's not even 21:00 yet.

Always good to have a lamp post on when looking for sleet in March following a mild winter at 3am. 

Posted

Daylight is really decaying here now, the lamp-posts are already fully switched on and it's not even 21:00 yet.

Daylight is decaying? In meteorological parlance I thought that only applied to forecasters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Virtually completely dark here at 21:30hrs, not too sure when it actually started fading, maybe 20:45? The thing I don't like about August September time of year is that the length of the daylight in the day shortens so quickly compared to any other time of the year

Posted

The thing I don't like about August September time of year is that the length of the daylight in the day shortens so quickly compared to any other time of the year

That's what I like best - the 'dynamic' of it, instead of the tedium and monotony of solstice ( 'sun stands still' - or summat to that effect) when nothing appears to change for weeks on end. Mind you, I'd be happy for the winter solstice to last forever - the increasing daylight after that fills me with a sense of dread.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes it is around now you start to really notice the change in level of daylight especially on wet cloudy overcast evenings when it can become preety gloomy at 8.30pm - which always feel a very marked contrast to clear evenings just a month ago when lights don't dim until about 10.30pm.

We loose the greatest loss of light day on day in September - roughly 2 minutes in the morning and 2 in the evening.

Posted

I'd been in Wales for a couple of weeks - where the sun sets about 20 mins later - so I really noticed the difference in sunsets when I returned to the south-east on Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Don't like it :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Virtually completely dark here at 21:30hrs, not too sure when it actually started fading, maybe 20:45? The thing I don't like about August September time of year is that the length of the daylight in the day shortens so quickly compared to any other time of the year

You can see your sunrise / set times here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638879 - just click on the day and its displayed underneath

Posted

You can see your sunrise / set times here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638879 - just click on the day and its displayed underneath

Thanks, but it's around this date that I stop looking at sunset/sunrise tables. When that happens, I'm satisfied that summer is all but dead and Autumn is as good as here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I always find 7pm sunset being the barrier between 'decent' and 'indecent'. 7pm or later means you can get home and be making dinner before the sun is gone whereas much before that you're struggling and darkness begins to infect the working day. We've lost an hour and you know the vice is now tightening but its still ok for now - after work you still feel like you have time to do other things. Not so in a month or so.

Posted

I always find 7pm sunset being the barrier between 'decent' and 'indecent'. 7pm or later means you can get home and be making dinner before the sun is gone whereas much before that you're struggling and darkness begins to infect the working day. We've lost an hour and you know the vice is now tightening but its still ok for now - after work you still feel like you have time to do other things. Not so in a month or so.

Don't you have electricity at your drum, Bott's? Me - I'm agog with the way the daylight is evaporating right now, but can barely wait 'til it's dark at 4pm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

There's a very big difference between natural light & that provided by electrical lighting. I can't work in the garden nor on my bike under lamps nor is it worth cleaning the house when without natural light as you just can't see the dirt properly! Also try working on small electrical projects/other intricate hobbies. Sure you can aim all the desk lamps in the house at your workspace but it still is no where near as easy as sunlight which contains the full spectrum of light rather than just a small sliver of it.

No for many activities they come to a halt outside of weekends during 'that' portion of the year or just hold off completely till spring. The inactivity and sluggishness of the darker half of the year does not fill me with joy that's for sure!

• Like 3