Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

OK..I've done a quick survey of people in the street and it was 50/50....now where is he!! Lol. But seriously I know a majority of people in the UK probably prefer warm and settled, that wasn't my argument. I was just saying that there are more people than you THINK that like rain and cold. It's no big deal and not worth getting yourself in a state about...there are more important things than whether people prefer warm/cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

OK..I've done a quick survey of people in the street and it was 50/50....now where is he!! Lol. But seriously I know a majority of people in the UK probably prefer warm and settled, that wasn't my argument. I was just saying that there are more people than you THINK that like rain and cold. It's no big deal and not worth getting yourself in a state about...there are more important things than whether people prefer warm/cold.

Maybe you are right ,there may be more people than we may think like it cold and wet ,dark and windy in fact until I joined netweather I hadn't realised so many did so.

P.s. Elvis live on the south pole in a London bus,he has a horse called shergar and lives with his uncle lord Lucan!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

We seem to have drifted back onto preferred weather conditions again - got a different topic for that - do move over to it as it's an endless debate with no winners.. but a fun one none the less!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

One thing I'm noticing now - around lunchtime the sun is now back in my eyes again having been too high for the past 3 months. Sadly (and much like my old office in Nottingham) outside of the peak light months you're either blocking it out or contorting your head into stupid places to avoid being blinded. Pain in the bum it really is.

Posted

Maybe you are right ,there may be more people than we may think like it cold and wet ,dark and windy in fact until I joined netweather I hadn't realised so many did so.

P.s. Elvis live on the south pole in a London bus,he has a horse called shergar and lives with his uncle lord Lucan!

you shouldn't be surprised that people on a weather forum like snow, cold, rain, darkness etc, i can understand people that don't like cold, but why do mildies hate snow unless it causes them inconvenience? snow is rare and nice to look at isn't it, i hate hot humid weather but i actually like wall to wall sunshine if its cool or cold as that is rare and its nice to look at, i don't like those bland,average cloudy days with sunny intervals, people always think cloudy means dull but it can actually be quite bright whilst it's cloudy and i hate that kind of light, mainly cloudy with bright or sunny intervals is probably the most common weather condition and it is tedious to the extreme

anyway off topic i know, but how can i respond to this post on the correct thread?

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes, sadly sunset is on the wrong side of 9pm now. Darkness now beginning to leech away at my evenings. Won't be long till outdoor jobs are confined to weekends only :(

• Like 2

Posted

Yes, sadly sunset is on the wrong side of 9pm now.

No it's on the right side after being on the wrong side for months - finally! Real dark in the morning now, at the time I have to be up anyway. It's wonderful to wake up gently without the infernal sun searing my retinas and getting the day off to a bad start. Mighty cool this morning, too. Almost autumnal, even.

• Like 2

Posted

Thankfully 'cool' isn't something I've had to deal with in a long time now. The occasional storm will pull it down below 20c sometimes but otherwise its warm all the way!

Folks here now thinking about summer ending... and dreading it! Outdoor bars, swimming in lakes & chilling in the park will go to be replaced with sitting inside stinky smokey bars & running from place to place minimising exposure to the long cruel winter ahead... Thankfully, not yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

August is actually my favourite in terms of sunlight/darkness ratio. The mornings don't wake me up at silly o'clock with the light and the evenings are still relatively light so you can enjoy the day still when you get home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Am up a bit earlier today and it is dark!

Posted

we've still only lost about 45 mins of light in the evening since the solstice, but from now on the sun sets 2 mins earlier everyday, thank goodness we aren't on BST +1 

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted

Its around now when you start to notice the shortening daylight levels in the evening - on wet evenings it can start getting dark at 8.30pm, though it isn't until the end of the month you rally start to notice loss of light - so make the most of light evenings over the coming weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

What must it be like to live in the far North. Svalbard will have 24 hour daylight until the end of August, then 2 months later it's 24 hour dark. How do they adjust?

Posted

Lughnasadh today.

The half way point between the summer solstice and autumnal equinox. We are now exiting the period in our orbital cycle we receive the most light.

We are now entering the period where the length of daylight decreases rapidly.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Lughnasadh today.The half way point between the summer solstice and autumnal equinox. We are now exiting the period in our orbital cycle we receive the most light.We are now entering the period where the length of daylight decreases rapidly.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqh1eD-IxxE

if I remember rightly the daylight hours reduces by something like 30 mins a week from now for a while...15 mins later sunrise and 15 mins earlier sunset.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Definitely noticing the earlier evenings now. I don't like it, I always feel like Summer is drawing to an end now, even though we still have a month and a half-ish.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Definitely noticing the earlier evenings now. I don't like it, I always feel like Summer is drawing to an end now, even though we still have a month and a half-ish.

September is Autumn - we have three weeks left of summer :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

No it's on the right side after being on the wrong side for months - finally! Real dark in the morning now, at the time I have to be up anyway. It's wonderful to wake up gently without the infernal sun searing my retinas and getting the day off to a bad start. Mighty cool this morning, too. Almost autumnal, even.

I for one will be glad to see autumn. We've had problems with Flystrike on our sheep. I will be pleased to see the first of September and that nip in the air and the misty evenings. It can't come quick enough for me.My annual holiday has been spent fighting the not so humble bluebottle and it's sidekick.... The maggot!! Edited by Sidsnake
  • Like 2

Posted

I for one will be glad to see autumn.....

You're not alone - there's millions of us, despite what anyone 'on the other side' would have you believe. Summer has nothing going for it and is fraught with unpleasantness and woe at every turn. Not to worry - it's all over bar the shouting. Having had to be up at 0430 every day this week, it's astonishing how quickly the daylight is losing its pernicious grip, and how that 'summer feel' has evaporated. Just before setting out at the beginning of the week, there was enough light to see in the house... today necessitated switching on the lights. It's ace!

• Like 2