Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Getting on topic. I have noticed a shortening of the nights, of course. But it's still not so evident. As I type this, it's still fairly light outside. 

You really begin to notice it mid way through September really. 

Posted

Each to their own, I guess. I personally try to ignore the fact that rotten old autumn with it's death and decay is gradually approaching. I'm just enjoying summer while it's here.

Of course, some don't like Summer, or any time of year that involves any warmth etc. While I find it very bizarre, I accept that people are different. However, there are ways of putting it. There's a difference between voicing your preferences as opposed to just incessant moaning and over exaggeration.

I despise Autumn and Winter. But I don't come onto this site moaning about them all the time and depressing everyone reading the thread. I either stay away from the site until Spring, or I only post in model discussions etc. 

I can complain occasionally, but there's ways of doing it. 

• Like 2

Posted

Autumn for me is full of opportunities from the ever changing leaf colors making for some great photography. The Atlantic storms and ex-Hurricanes that cross the UK from time to time, fog inversions as the cooler airmasses advect southwards, not to mention the Autumn solstice, Halloween, and Fireworks night.

Something for everyone from August to November I think.

• Like 2

Posted

I can just bet that the ones who want autumn to get here ASAP will still be moaning when it does come around. There will still be something wrong with it.

But who am I to judge, eh?

Of course, most will. 

I complained when this colder spell showed it's head, I wanted the heat to prolong for much longer. The difference is that I put a positive spin on it by denoting that August has a great chance of delivering a nice spell of settled and warm/hot weather.

Some others on here seem to just never be happy, and even when the colder spell reared it's head, they were still complaining that's it's too warm. It's all doom and gloom.

The fact is, we can't do anything about the seasons and the weather. They will follow their own destiny, and incessant moaning won't get you anywhere. But at the same time you have to be reasonable, you can't expect a really cold spell in Summer, just as you shouldn't expect a warm one in Winter.  If you don't like Summer, fine. But accept that it's a season like any other and put up with it going against your weather preferences. I see no point in incessantly moaning about a season in which you have no interest in, or loathe, and depressing others. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 1

Posted

As for Halloween - it is a tonne of BS, it's basically people going around giving themselves type 2 diabetes, and really in general just a stupid evening.

Really, it's just a money grab. Just the same as Mother's and Father's day. 

Halloween isn't what it once was anyway. When I was a child, the streets were littered with trick or treaters. Nowadays, you're lucky if you see one person trick or treating. It's basically just a normal day now. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

matty you've only been on this site a year and last winter was a mild winter, so you were happy, if this winter is a cold one you might end up coming on here moaning, it's easy for you say you won't right now

anyway im sure some of joe public have noticed the evenings are drawing in a bit now its getting dark here at about 9:30 now instead of 10pm

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted

matty you've only been on this site a year and last winter was a mild winter, so you were happy, if this winter is cold one you might end up coming on here moaning, it's easy for you say you won't right now

I can guarantee you I won't moan. If you looked on my profile you would see that I was barely active last Winter, and one of the only posts I did post was one saying how remarkably mild the Winter we were having was. What you won't see is posts constantly complaining about a season I loathe. I loathe Winter, therefore I see no reason to visit this site much in that time frame. Even if last Winter was mild, I still hate the season. Short days, long nights etc. And for me, it was still cold, just less so than average. 

I am a level headed person and can accept other people's preferences, even if I find them bizarre myself.  I LOVE Summer, and I hate Winter. Others may be the opposite. I'll let you enjoy your season, you let me enjoy mine. That's all I ask. 

• Like 1

Posted

Well Mother's and Father's Day are nice because you're thanking the people who given you a chance to live, so I would disagree there.

Halloween's just a load of rubbish. I get tonnes of trick or treaters where I am, not the mention there is the one greedy pig every year who trick or treats on October 30 to get everything before the others. I personally just think it's a stupid and pointless evening.

Back to daylight discussion though, I am really starting to notice the evenings now. It's really quite dark now at 22:00.

I get what you're saying Scott. The sentiment of Mother's and Father's day is nice, but that's all it is, a sentiment. I'll say happy Mother's Day to my Mum and will do the same with my Dad. But that's as far as it goes, my family don't expect gifts etc. They know I appreciate them, a gift won't reaffirm that. 

By all means, wish them a nice day and thank them for being your parents. But the notion of gifts is just a money grab like many other days e.g Halloween. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

God, you're so depressing. Is Dracula a relation of yours by any chance?

Y'see this is what I don't get. Why is sunshine,flowers,warmth,outdoor pursuits,barbeques,sport etc etc etc, all the things associated with summer, somehow supposed to bring about feelings of happiness and joy? I can't stand anything associated with summer. Why are the attributes and features of autumn and winter automatically associated with sadness and misery? They sure as hell make me happy, for reasons which are every bit as unfathomable as the ones which give pleasure to summer types. It grieves me to be labelled a depressing,miserable person when that is certainly not the case - just because I like the 'darkside'. Anyway in keeping with the thread's title, there's lot's for me to be happy about - it's almost the time of year when the shortening days 'go off a cliff'. Cheer up guys - it'll soon be spring... not.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Y'see this is what I don't get. Why is sunshine,flowers,warmth,outdoor pursuits,barbeques,sport etc etc etc, all the things associated with summer, somehow supposed to bring about feelings of happiness and joy? I can't stand anything associated with summer. Why are the attributes and features of autumn and winter automatically associated with sadness and misery? They sure as hell make me happy, for reasons which are every bit as unfathomable as the ones which give pleasure to summer types. It grieves me to be labelled a depressing,miserable person when that is certainly not the case - just because I like the 'darkside'. Anyway in keeping with the thread's title, there's lot's for me to be happy about - it's almost the time of year when the shortening days 'go off a cliff'. Cheer up guys - it'll soon be spring... not.

Completely agree with what you say. I'm so much happier in Winter and Summer is the miserable season to me but you get labelled with being a misery! 'Smile, be happy...the sun's out' they say...not for me I'm afraid... Even weather presenters make me mad. The 'worst' of the weather is often the best to me. And I don't care about saving on my heating bills! I'm a cold,dark and rain lover and proud of it! :)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

The thing is - weather presenters are talking to the vast majority of the British public, and if you did a survey of them, you would find that most of them would say they prefer summer and settled conditions. You have to accept that there aren't many people out there that like cold, dark and rainy conditions, and the vast majority of the public pull their faces at signs of those conditions.

The same goes for snow. I am with the other coldies here, I can't stand mild, rainy junk in winter, because it's not a "winter" by definition. However weather presenters do the same thing because the vast majority prefer mild winters, not colder winters like yourself or myself. :)

I'd probably think there are many more people who prefer the cold, dark and rain than are given credit for and that it's just a perception that a vast majority like the heat. It can't really be proved either way. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Completely agree with what you say. I'm so much happier in Winter and Summer is the miserable season to me but you get labelled with being a misery! 'Smile, be happy...the sun's out' they say...not for me I'm afraid... Even weather presenters make me mad. The 'worst' of the weather is often the best to me. And I don't care about saving on my heating bills! I'm a cold,dark and rain lover and proud of it! :)

Whatever one's preference, I think weather presenters should remain completely neutral.... and they're the only bunch of folk I'm aware of who are routinely 'afraid' when rain is in the offing, and for whom light showers present a 'risk'.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

"Changing daylight hours" is the topic. Not the pros and cons of whatever season. The whole last page is binnable, please stay on topic.

• Like 1

Posted

"Changing daylight hours" is the topic. Not the pros and cons of whatever season. The whole last page is binnable, please stay on topic.

Ye these things do tend to wander off down side alleys. So... today in my neck of the woods the sun is above the horizon for exactly three minutes and eighteen seconds less than it was yesterday. Yeehaa!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Certainly noticing the sun being lower on the way to work these days, and it won't be long before the first pre-9pm sunset.

Posted

Certainly noticing the sun being lower on the way to work these days, and it won't be long before the first pre-9pm sunset.

The 3rd of August for me, but the key date is the 12th - the glorious 12th- when the sun is still below the horizon at 6am, when I'm either finishing or starting work. Happy days are here again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Slightly noticed it here especially when storm clouds are around in the evening - the light can go on pre-9pm. Still it isn't getting dark early enough to interfere with the free evenings of beer gardens and my own garden just yet. But I am preparing for the dark inside based season with a pc upgrade to do some gaming again come October. And then watch the waistline expand to its winter norm.... what an unhealthy season it can be!

Posted

83 days of the year that the sun sets at 9pm or after in this area. That's just about 12 weeks, quite a period of time. Longer than you think.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I'd probably think there are many more people who prefer the cold, dark and rain than are given credit for and that it's just a perception that a vast majority like the heat. It can't really be proved either way. :)

Am sorry but I have never heard such a foolish statement.You only have to speak to any person you meet in a shop or at work at any place you imagine regarding a weather related conversation and the sight of warm summery weather with lots of sunshine is greeted with 'what a lovely day'...sure if it is too hot you will have some saying 'it is too hot' but no more than those who like it more hot but it would be a tiny minority who would swap a pleasant sunny day for a wet and windy day of mid January in fact so tiny it is probably just a handful who happen to be members of netweather!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think the "value judgements on the weather" issue is one of those "normative" issues- the media caters for those who conform to the expected norm, and marginalises those who don't, by making them out to be an insignificant fringe minority (regardless of whether they are or not- those who prefer darkness to sunshine are a smaller group than snow lovers for instance, but both are similarly dismissed).

For me it is usually after mid-August when I really start to notice the sun setting earlier.  I'm starting to notice it a little bit now, but it's still setting after 9pm here- once it starts setting nearer 8pm I get a sense of the dreaded darkness of winter coming ever closer.

Posted

Slightly noticed it here especially when storm clouds are around in the evening - the light can go on pre-9pm. Still it isn't getting dark early enough to interfere with the free evenings of beer gardens and my own garden just yet. But I am preparing for the dark inside based season with a pc upgrade to do some gaming again come October. And then watch the waistline expand to its winter norm.... what an unhealthy season it can be!

im going to have a nice healthy BBQ this weekend and spend more time in beer gardens

Posted

Am sorry but I have never heard such a foolish statement.You only have to speak to any person you meet in a shop or at work at any place you imagine regarding a weather related conversation and the sight of warm summery weather with lots of sunshine is greeted with 'what a lovely day'...sure if it is too hot you will have some saying 'it is too hot' but no more than those who like it more hot but it would be a tiny minority who would swap a pleasant sunny day for a wet and windy day of mid January in fact so tiny it is probably just a handful who happen to be members of netweather!!!

Don't be silly. Not everyone in the country likes heat/warmth. It's not provable so any kind of sweeping statement such as yours is generally useless. :) I think it's probably more foolish to pretend to know what everyone prefers. Edited by simshady
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Don't be silly. Not everyone in the country likes heat/warmth. It's not provable so any kind of sweeping statement such as yours is generally useless. :) I think it's probably more foolish to pretend to know what everyone prefers.

Maybe you should do your own research....go out and ask people in the street ,I may not know the figures but if you find 5 people out of 100 who like cold wind and rain instead of a warm summers day I will tell you where Elvis Presley is now living!!!

• Like 1