Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

To be honest, it really accelerates after 7th February.There is a roughly 90 day period with the two solstices being the mid points of those periods where the change in sunrise and sunset times is at its lowest. The 90 days periods where the mid points are the equinoxes is where the greatest changes occur.For instance there is only an hour difference between sunset times on the 7th May to solstice to 7th August at Manchester. There is just under 4 hours between 7th Feb and 7th May

It's easier to visualise as a sinusoidal curve, that's how I see it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Even up here the twilight is becoming noticeably diminished, not too long now until we have proper darkness - next thing it'll be -10'C, freezing fog and dark at 8:15AM  :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It's easier to visualise as a sinusoidal curve, that's how I see it.

I see it like driving, to turn around you have to slow right down then accelerate from an almost stop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I see it as getting dark, then light again, what am I missing?

• Like 1

Posted

I see it as getting dark, then light again, what am I missing?

We're talking about how the changes in day length accelerate.

• Like 1

Posted

it happens every year.

not even sure its worth discussing?

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil
Then why bother posting?
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

it happens every year.

good point

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil
Yet here you are posting in the thread.
  • Like 1

Posted

darkness is underrated, you wouldn't watch at scary film at 10am in bright sunshine would you, when you go to the cinema you watch the film in the dark 

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

darkness is underrated, you wouldn't watch at scary film at 10am in bright sunshine would you, when you go to the cinema you watch the film in the dark 

Ahh thats why the Genesis chapter in the Bible said "And God said, â€œLet there be light,†and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,†and the darkness he called “night so people could watch films such as the Exorcist and the like.â€

Sorry, couldn't resist. lol. - Just to lighten the mood in here. :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 3

Posted

There is demand for a discussion on this. Therefore this thread will remain open. If you don't want to discuss it then just don't visit the thread? Just a thought.

• Like 1

Posted

it happens every year.

So does a million other things and they still get talked about as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Today marks the first day (at this latitude) since May15th that we experience true darkness of a night time (astronomical twilight...where the sun is >18 degrees below the horizon). No more lingering dark blue horizon. Tonight the true darkness will last between  00.51 and 1.40 but by the 31st this will have increased to between 00.30 and 2.01. It accelerates rapidly.

Today

Sunrise 5:21 Sunset 21.08

June 21st

Sunrise 4.43 Sunset 21.38

August 21st

Sunrise 6.00 Sunset 20.23

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I guess autumn's well on it's way now. I'm really starting to notice the evenings here too.

At least by January 20th or so we will really start to notice them drawing out again! Back to the here and now personally I have only noticed slight differences. If it's clear it's still not completely dark till about 10.20pm.
  • Like 3

Posted

At least by January 20th or so we will really start to notice them drawing out again! 

I hereby award the prize for the most depressing thought of the year to Costa Del Fal.

• Like 2

Posted

... then before long the warm and bright sunshine will be shining happily in the sky, increasing in strength and altitude every day, lifting the spirits of the great British public. Winter will be getting weaker and spring will be getting stronger. The plants will be bursting into life - the sure sign of a long and pleasant hot summer to come.

That sorta talk just depresses the crap out of me - there's no need for it, barely one month after the longest day and smack in the middle of the season of misery. It's also wrong to say that it lifts the spirit of Brits, at least if the favourite season poll on here is anything to go by. The 'feelgood factor' of summer is nothing more than a marketing ploy for folk to sell crap on the back of. Roll on the coming Autumn and darkness - at the very least let's get the equinox in the bag before resurrecting any thoughts of sun and warmth before summer has even cleared off.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Personally for me I feel sad when I see the nights drawing in. I always find my mood dips in Autumn so it signals for me that soon I won't be feeling as good.

Edited by Lauren
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

That sorta talk just depresses the crap out of me - there's no need for it, barely one month after the longest day and smack in the middle of the season of misery. It's also wrong to say that it lifts the spirit of Brits, at least if the favourite season poll on here is anything to go by. The 'feelgood factor' of summer is nothing more than a marketing ploy for folk to sell crap on the back of. Roll on the coming Autumn and darkness - at the very least let's get the equinox in the bag before resurrecting any thoughts of sun and warmth before summer has even cleared off.

But that's the thing - this forum is in no way representative of the general population - quite the opposite in fact. People on here yearn for weather that most people in the real world absolutely loathe. The feelgood factor of summer is very real and evident - but you spend your time indoors whenever the weather is lovely, so you do not get to see it.

We all have our preferences, laserguy, but I think you need to accept that your desire for cool and dark conditions is not at all shared by the majority. If you actually ventured outdoors on a warm day in July, and compared it to a cool and cloudy day in January, you would be able to see the difference firsthand.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

This is only my second post but I had to comment as I so understand where your coming from, I also hate summer and the long days that go with it. I know the sunrise and sunset times by heart and the longing I feel for autumn is almost all consuming. I know that very few people feel the way I do but heaven for me is December with a sunset at 15:45. I walk 10 miles every day with my Collie and a cold dark day in winter trumps a hot day in July every time.

• Like 7

Posted

This is only my second post but I had to comment as I so understand where your coming from....

Thanks... maybe we should form a club - the Autumn appreciation society. I've just awoke from being in bed most of the day and my timing couldn't have been better - the sun has just slipped behind a cloud bank and will have set before it moves. Marvellous!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I have certainly noticed the days getting shorter each day now, am definatly looking forward to that 5am will be dark, and not light and silly o clock.

Thats the only really thing im not a fan of in summer, sunny mornings at 4:30am, because once i see it, I struggle to get back to sleep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I have certainly noticed the days getting shorter each day now, am definatly looking forward to that 5am will be dark, and not light and silly o clock.

Thats the only really thing im not a fan of in summer, sunny mornings at 4:30am, because once i see it, I struggle to get back to sleep.

So do I, very rarely asleep post 5.30am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Thanks... maybe we should form a club - the Autumn appreciation society. I've just awoke from being in bed most of the day and my timing couldn't have been better - the sun has just slipped behind a cloud bank and will have set before it moves. Marvellous!

God, you're so depressing. Is Dracula a relation of yours by any chance? 

• Like 1