Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

During the summer months, several times people have suggested British Double Summer Time (UTC+2) and I don't think it would be such a bad idea. People are always moaning about it being light at 04:30 in June and so a sunrise of 05:30 would be much more beneficial. Furthermore there are more people awake at 23:00 than at 05:00, so it would be a better use of daylight. Late evening walks at 23:00 seems quite nice!

Yes it has been talked about and a few years ago they were going to give it a try but  about 10 people in northern Scotland seemed to have more say than 60 million in the south...but there is hope because when Scotland goes independent in a few months time it may happen,just remember to change your watch when you get to Gretna!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Playing around with the clock does not alter the total amount of daylight.

Personally I find the current system fine. Unless you alter the earth on its axis you will always have 8 hrs of light in mid winter and 16hrs in high summer.

16 - 8 = 12hrs average. A fair compromise in a 24 hr day between lovers of light and darkness.

• Like 3

Posted

The change continues a pace. A few weeks ago it wouldn't be as dark as it is currently (although still pretty light) and the sun is defo not as high as it used to be at half past 5 in the morning. I personally loving the getting shorter days myself

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Playing around with the clock does not alter the total amount of daylight.Personally I find the current system fine. Unless you alter the earth on its axis you will always have 8 hrs of light in mid winter and 16hrs in high summer.16 - 8 = 12hrs average. A fair compromise in a 24 hr day between lovers of light and darkness.

Pretty much said the same thing myself last time it was debated.

Posted

Look, the 'clocks' are unlikely to be messed with and a pole shift doesn't seem to be in the offing after the 2012 debacle passed without incident. So, if you work for a living and aren't happy about having not having 500hrs sunlight a day you've got to bite the bullet and do night shifts. You come home when it's getting light and go to work when it's getting dark - what you do with the intervening period of daylight is entirely up to you. Maybe y'all not man enough to hack it or don't love the sun as much as you make out - I don't know.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Lingering twilight season is drawing to a close now.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OsqGfQ2vQw

Aye, only a few more days for our latitude until we get true darkness. Noticeably darker at 4am now than it was even a couple of weeks back.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes it is starting to move a little now a full month after the solstice but still very light yet!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes it is starting to move a little now a full month after the solstice but still very light yet!!!!

The shortening daylight will accelerate markedly over the next 4 weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

First proper night tonight where we have a period of complete darkness with no twilight in London.

:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not long till the days start getting longer again... (Will leave now before someone shoots me lol)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Not long till the days start getting longer again... (Will leave now before someone shoots me lol)

13/14th December is the date i look for when it gets that time of year. A few seconds more light on an evening. By the new year theres about 10 mins more light so it really does accelerate quite fast once Christmas is out of the way.

• Like 3

Posted

13/14th December is the date i look for when it gets that time of year. A few seconds more light on an evening. By the new year theres about 10 mins more light so it really does accelerate quite fast once Christmas is out of the way.

On an evening yes but it gets darker on a morning after xmas up to the 30th before it starts to turn !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Love dark cold nights snuggling under a blanket reading a book, my pet hate is driving in the dark tho

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Love dark cold nights snuggling under a blanket reading a book, my pet hate is driving in the dark tho

Yes I am very seasonal in that come winter it is nice snuggled up especially up to new year but once the January blues come in I just can't wait for winter to buggar off unless there is meaningful snow on the way!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Drove home from Glasgow late yesterday evening. With a very clear sky there was a very distinct twilight over the Highlands to the North West even well after midnight.

In Winter I don't mind darkness in the evening but not keen on going both to and from work in darkness. Daylight from around 8AM to 6PM would be just fine but unfortunately we have a good few weeks this does not happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I've noticed too - can't believe anyone hasn't. Setting off for 'nights' at the solstice and it was practically full-on daylight... nothing like that at 2150 now. And having to be up at 0430 all this week, the darker mornings are really getting into gear. Need the house lights on now, not so a coupla weeks back.

Getting up at 1 pm not noticed anything yet

• Like 1

Posted

The shortening daylight will accelerate markedly over the next 4 weeks.

Yeah, around mid-August is usually when the darkness "hits" me, I obviously notice the longer nights earlier but it's around that time I really take notice of the shortening days. The reverse tends to happen in mid-February, too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

First proper night tonight where we have a period of complete darkness with no twilight in London. :)

Doesn't happen here until the 1st of August. Pre-9pm sunsets in London start 25th this month, 4th August here.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Here's how the northern sky looks from 53'N just before midnight on the 23/07. NLCs just visible within the late-season twilight but I expect even as early as 2 weeks from now true astronomical darkness would have set in by the same time of night.

post-8763-0-93879600-1406073000_thumb.jp

Posted

I'm noticing a slight change now, was in the garden until 2200 last night and its getting dull around that time now. On saying that this far North its still twilight all night, I'm camping at Faskally near Pitlochry next week so I'm hoping for some late nights by the camp fire.

Posted

By the new year theres about 10 mins more light so it really does accelerate quite fast once Christmas is out of the way.

To be honest, it really accelerates after 7th February. There is a roughly 90 day period with the two solstices being the mid points of those periods where the change in sunrise and sunset times is at its lowest. The 90 days periods where the mid points are the equinoxes is where the greatest changes occur.For instance there is only an hour difference between sunset times on the 7th May to solstice to 7th August at Manchester. There is just under 4 hours between 7th Feb and 7th May Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1