Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

No sign of it being noticeable yet gladly. Mid August and you definitely notice something bad is afoot!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Nah - blissful ignorance first, denial comes later.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

No sign of it being noticeable yet gladly. Mid August and you definitely notice something bad is afoot!

I would say Sept, as Aug generally summer

Posted

I would say Sept, as Aug generally summer

It is but twilight returns to pre-9pm for the first time since early May. The 'rot' hasn't set in yet but things are past their prime! First sign of decay is when the swifts leave at the end of July. Will be very noticeable this year since they're extremely loud where I live and swoop past my windows screaming every evening. Lovely birds they are!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes Botty, Swifts are a sure reminder of Summer, As you say lovely birds especially in the evenings. The Skylarks round here are also one of my favourites, You can here them calling through the night as they protect there ground nests in the fields. 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Noticing the evenings now. Sitting in the garden I could previously be reading until about 10.30 but its now closer to 9.30. Sun is too low to shine on me by about 9pm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Plenty of summer left, then a nice autumn if all goes well.

• Like 1

Posted

Plenty of summer left, then a nice autumn if all goes well.

What do you mean by a 'nice autumn'? An extension of the current season which has already outstayed its welcome, or a 'traditional' one?  Anyway the heavy cloud of this morning (no thunder tho' as predicted with 100% confidence elsewhere) meant that it got light much later than otherwise. That's more like it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

When it is not mega hot or too cold still, days still long enough to be active inside or out.

Posted

we've actually only lost about 15 mins of daylight in the evenings so far the process speeds up in august, people i know haven't noticed any difference yet but i guess they don't study sunrise and sunset times like we do

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted

we've actually only lost about 15 mins of daylight in the evenings so far the process speeds up in august, people i know haven't noticed any difference yet but i guess they don't study sunrise and sunset times like we do

It's an obsession for me at this time of year - one of the symptoms of my 'condition'. But the change should now be more apparent to even the most casual observer.

• Like 2

Posted

still a long way off yet, in about 4 months time the days will be "horridly short", we would still get a full working day worth of daylight in December anyway if we kept the time on BST in winter, if you aren't working you'd have all day to do things in daylight, short days only exist in northern europe 

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

It just seems unthinkable that in mid December the sun would set under an hour from now! I find that the long daylight hours really do help to make the weekend seem longer as there is still plenty of daylight left to do stuff outside. Once the sun goes down in winter its like the day is over already to me. Which is no good on a Sunday

• Like 1

Posted

It'd be nice if we stayed on BST. I usually get home at about 16:00, which is quite early really. However day time is already fading at that time. If we stayed on BST, it would be light until 17:00, which would be much nicer and I could sacrifice the hour in the morning easily.

i'd rather wake up in daylight than darkness, i like it getting dark at 4pm so i hope we go back to GMT in October

Posted

It just seems unthinkable that in mid December the sun would set under an hour from now! I find that the long daylight hours really do help to make the weekend seem longer as there is still plenty of daylight left to do stuff outside. Once the sun goes down in winter its like the day is over already to me. Which is no good on a Sunday

what about if we put the clocks 4 hours forward in october so in winter it will get light at about lunchtime and dark at 8-9pm, then in the evenings you could sit in the beer garden, have time to cut the grass and go for walks

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 3

Posted

what about if we put the clocks 4 hours forward in october so in winter it will get light at about lunchtime and dark at 8-9pm, then in the evenings you could sit in the beer garden, have time to cut the grass and go for walks

Brilliant!!

• Like 1

Posted

I think there is just no way to win with the clocks in winter - the day length is just too short. GMT gives lighter mornings, but gives rubbish dark evenings, BST has darker mornings, but at least the evenings are lighter. Personally, I'd choose BST.

You say yourself the days are just too short, staying on BST for the lighter evenings is not much point to be honest. Sunset at 4.00 or 5.00? No point really.One argument used is outdoor leisure time. Outdoor leisure time is largely dictated by the weather. No good the sun setting an hour later and making use of it if there is a severe gale blowing/ snow on the ground/ thick fog etc. Instead of sticking BST all year, maybe bring the clock change date at the start of March instead of the end of March.

Posted

Yeah you can't really win in winter - the days are too short anyway.

But moving back to BST earlier in late Feb/early March is definitely an obvious improvement since more people are awake at 6pm than 6am so daylight is better used then. Would feel like you were shaking off the grim cold season earlier too!

• Like 1

Posted

they are "too short" only cos people have to work all day, if you are retired or unemployed 7-8 hours of light a day is more than enough in winter to do whatever you have to do, my granddad goes to his allotment from about 10am till 1pm whether its summer or winter, i tell him to go in the evenings in the summer to avoid the heat when it's a bit cooler as it is still light but he doesn't want to go in the evenings, so there's no point him moaning about the dark evenings in winter because it's not like he goes out at that time of day anyway,

a lot of people are early birds and go out in the mornings or early afternoons and it is daylight at that time in winter anyway, i think people want daylight more for psychological reasons than practical reasons, though i agree darkness during rush hour is not good in winter 

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I would hate BST during winter. I love dark evenings but dark mornings are just so depressing. On overcast days it wouldn't be properly light until nearly 10am!

• Like 1

Posted

sometimes i don't get up till 10-11am depending on my working hours and in mid winter it is light at that time anyway even if we stayed on BST, on the days i have to get up at 7:30am 8am it's a bit dark but i don't say i can't believe it still dark at this time because 8am is still early in the day, its not like it gets light at 11am and dark at 3pm god knows how people would cope, personally i wouldn't mind that for a couple of months a year

Edited by Tony27

Posted

true, but people are mostly indoors at 11pm anyway and an extra hour of heat on a hot day in the evenings would be annoying for people like me who hate heat

• Like 2