Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Well, has anyone noticed the shortening days yet? I have - my super-sensitive laser eyes noticed at the turn of the solstice, and the plants know too.  Those embryonic hop flowers which I see as a harbinger of autumn's approach, have manifested themselves seemingly overnight, and where once was elderflowers are now tiny green berries. Ah summer, I can't say that it's been a pleasure. In fact I'm looking forward to watching you wither and die. Losing one and half minutes a day now, and the pace is accelerating...

i've noticed it cos i look at the sunrise and sunset times a lot, i wouldn't expect anyone who isn't a weather fan to notice the loss of a few measly minutes of daylight so far, i wouldn't get too excited lazerguy summer hasn't even reached its peak yet, in fact i'd say autumn doesn't really start till october down here, and its not really till september that the days are a lot shorter, joe public complain by thinking winter goes on for ages and ages, when in reality it is far shorter than the mild,warm season

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

i've noticed it cos i look at the sunrise and sunset times a lot, i wouldn't expect anyone who isn't a weather fan to notice the loss of a few measly minutes of daylight so far, i wouldn't get too excited lazerguy summer hasn't even reached its peak yet, in fact i'd say autumn doesn't really start till october down here, and its not really till september that the days are a lot shorter, joe public complain by thinking winter goes on for ages and ages, when in reality it is far shorter than the mild,warm season

I would argue the cool season goes on for longer than the warm given the latitude of the UK. I believe I am right in saying the global average temperature is about 15c overall. Given that the UK's yearly average is a fair way below 15c that makes it a cool climate country - which it really really is. Not cold, not hot nor in fact 'warm', but simply cool or mild.

Given that most folks definition of 'cold' is when they need a coat/heating on and their definition of 'warm' is t-shirt weather then for certain the cool/cold season goes on far longer than the warm.

I know last year the heating finally went off in early June and back on early October, although I did live in a cold house. At work it came on in October and off end of April (common in a lot of places I think). That gives 5 'warm' months and 7 'cold' ones...

As for daylight I definitely notice those subtle changes in solar position since I try to 'chase' the sun around with my more important sun loving plants, especially early/late in the season. At the moment they're well covered in sun most of the day but as the season progresses they will need more movement to grab what they can before the frost kills it all. A sad day that always is too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

That is because in Bedford your extended winter is the end of November until early march,here in the pennines it is from the end of October until late april!!!

Posted

I would argue the cool season goes on for longer than the warm given the latitude of the UK. I believe I am right in saying the global average temperature is about 15c overall. Given that the UK's yearly average is a fair way below 15c that makes it a cool climate country - which it really really is. Not cold, not hot nor in fact 'warm', but simply cool or mild.

Given that most folks definition of 'cold' is when they need a coat/heating on and their definition of 'warm' is t-shirt weather then for certain the cool/cold season goes on far longer than the warm.

I know last year the heating finally went off in early June and back on early October, although I did live in a cold house. At work it came on in October and off end of April (common in a lot of places I think). That gives 5 'warm' months and 7 'cold' ones...

As for daylight I definitely notice those subtle changes in solar position since I try to 'chase' the sun around with my more important sun loving plants, especially early/late in the season. At the moment they're well covered in sun most of the day but as the season progresses they will need more movement to grab what they can before the frost kills it all. A sad day that always is too.

i'd say i wear a t shirt on most days from mid march till mid october, i wear a hat, gloves and a heavy coat on some days between dec and feb, the public's perception of it always being cool/cold in this country is altered by the fact they are working during the day and don't realise the middle of the day in months such as march, april and october can feel very pleasant when temps reach say 16c, of course evenings at that time of year are going to be cooler/colder and it's not ideal to go out that's just the way it is, its like me moaning in winter that -10 only happens in the middle of the night when im asleep, i don't expect it to be -10 at 12pm

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Just been checking out civil, nautical and astronomical twilight times.

21st July is the first day of true darkness here. Does anyone have any decent websites giving more information on this?

I use timeanddate at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Just been checking out civil, nautical and astronomical twilight times.

21st July is the first day of true darkness here. Does anyone have any decent websites giving more information on this?

I use timeanddate at the moment.

Time and date is the one I use. Shows you the orientation of the sunrise and sunset under one of the tabs too. E.g for this location I think sunrise changes from NE on the horizon to ENE fairly soon.

• Like 1

Posted

Time and date is the one I use. Shows you the orientation of the sunrise and sunset under one of the tabs too. E.g for this location I think sunrise changes from NE on the horizon to ENE fairly soon.

Me too - can't want for anything more since it was recently improved.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

tonight is the first night i've noticed it getting darker earlier 

That is only because we have had a cloudy night,saturday had a lovely full moon and it was particularly light here!!!

Posted

I've noticed too - can't believe anyone hasn't. Setting off for 'nights' at the solstice and it was practically full-on daylight... nothing like that at 2150 now. And having to be up at 0430 all this week, the darker mornings are really getting into gear. Need the house lights on now, not so a coupla weeks back.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

I've noticed too - can't believe anyone hasn't. Setting off for 'nights' at the solstice and it was practically full-on daylight... nothing like that at 2150 now. And having to be up at 0430 all this week, the darker mornings are really getting into gear. Need the house lights on now, not so a coupla weeks back.

Really? I get up at 4.45 and don't need the lights on, when I need the car lights on at 5.30 driving to work is when I will really notice the change.

Posted

Really? I get up at 4.45 and don't need the lights on, when I need the car lights on at 5.30 driving to work is when I will really notice the change.

You're getting up too late. Those few minutes make all the difference at this pivotal time! I've certainly noticed the change, but for all those who aren't up so early it won't make a damn bit of difference, but hey that's their loss. But they needn't despair for much longer, it'll still be dark at 0800 before we know it.

Edited by laserguy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I set off biking to work at 6.30 am. Hopefully i can do that in the daylight for a while yet before i have to put on the lights, or give it up alltogether for the winter. Really dont want to have to do that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yeah cycling late Oct to mid Feb was mostly always unpleasant. So much traffic (especially pre-xmas), dreadful visibility and you're unpleasantly layered up with cold extremities and eventually a boiling interior!

The contrast to now with lighter traffic, good visibility and no clothing preparation at all from what you're wearing indoors is significant.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Yeah cycling late Oct to mid Feb was mostly always unpleasant. So much traffic (especially pre-xmas), dreadful visibility and you're unpleasantly layered up with cold extremities and eventually a boiling interior!

The contrast to now with lighter traffic, good visibility and no clothing preparation at all from what you're wearing indoors is significant.

That is very true. Joggers/shorts and a tshirt is sufficient at the moment, regardless of if its 6.30am or 4.30 pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

That is very true. Joggers/shorts and a tshirt is sufficient at the moment, regardless of if its 6.30am or 4.30 pm.

I'm commonly in shorts till mid October at least. Especially in Cornwall where I am. I barely worn a coat last winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Definitely noticing an earlier sunset now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I've mot noticed it yet here, Don't really until mid Sept

Posted

I've mot noticed it yet here, Don't really until mid Sept

Wow I can hardly believe that. I remember coming home from the hospital all agog after witnessing the birth of my son* (so many years ago), looking at the clock and for some reason thinking how dark it was. It was ten minutes past eight. Dunno why that fleeting moment stuck in my memory, but it did. The vagaries of the human mind,huh? Unless Earth's orbital status has shifted, things should be the same now...

Edit - *sorry should have mentioned it was mid-August!

Edited by laserguy

Posted

Wow I can hardly believe that. I remember coming home from the hospital all agog after witnessing the birth of my son (so many years ago), looking at the clock and for some reason thinking how dark it was. It was ten minutes past eight. Dunno why that fleeting moment stuck in my memory, but it did. The vagaries of the human mind,huh? Unless Earth's orbital status has shifted, things should be the same now...

yeah, roll on mid sept, for cooler, darker nights/mornings

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

:closedeyes:  Not long till the days get longer again....

Besides, Met Office going for our highest UV index of the year at 8 on Friday! :D  :yahoo:  Sun cream at the ready!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Hate the light mornings and evenings now and hating the heat!! Lugging files around in boiling weather is not fun at all!!!

• Like 3

Posted

Scott, you came across as a winter fan around Feb time, thought you were, I usually look forward to say my birthday (01 Sept) when nights just start to get longer

• Like 2

Posted

It's starting to become noticeable the changing daylight hours here not much yet but slowly getting there (still light at the time i'm usually out with dogs at half 5 but the sun not as high as before and the street lamps at night starting to come on earlier)

• Like 1