Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

went to bed really late last night and found it hard to sleep this morning as it was too muggy and too light, i don't know how laserguy can sleep in the day with all this light and stuffiness, still about 2 months to go until the days are not ridiculously long like they are now,

It's an absolute hell of hideous proportions, I can assure you. I too was up at 5am 'cos of the sun,having gotten maybe 3 hours fitful sleep 'cos of the damn warmth. Tried to go back to bed but was up against even more of the crap that had deprived me of sleep in the first place. Been like that for weeks and there's plenty more to come. Still,it's finally going in the right direction now. Not on nights til next week. Boy,that's gonna be a hoot.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

went to bed really late last night and found it hard to sleep this morning as it was too muggy and too light, i don't know how laserguy can sleep in the day with all this light and stuffiness, still about 2 months to go until the days are not ridiculously long like they are now,

If you are tired enough you can sleep anywhere in any light or heat!...Otherwise what is wrong with some thick curtains and if you cannot cope get some air conditioning,it is not that expensive!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

If you are tired enough you can sleep anywhere in any light or heat!..

Actually that's not strictly true - it's also dependant on one's mental make-up. I often go up to 48hrs without meaningful kip,just catnaps here and there,which results in me feeling absolutely wretched,spaced-out,extremely bad tempered and fleetingly suicidal. Having a mind that flatly refuses to switch off,aggravated by light and heat is a very ominous combo. Should probably take medication but fear that would ultimately make things worse, if that's possible. Let's face it - I'm a hopeless case...

Edited by laserguy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Well I for one am pleased that we've reached the crest and the slow, but relentless, descent into cooler, fresher weather and darker nights (albeit not in the short to medium term) is something to look forward to...

Edited by winterfreak
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

The sunset times for my location is a minute later for the next few days then on the 21st (21:58) from the 22nd-26th (21:59).

Earliest sunrise was the 14th -19th (04:55),will be at 04:57 tomorrow morning.

The differance in the daylight hrs doesnt really start to get noticable here until the last week of July.

Posted

The only thing I can fault with the long-nights at the moment is the opportunity for astrophotography, especially seeing the sun has spurged out some tasty CMEs the past month. Noctilucent clouds are nice as is the opportunity to see the ISS as many as 4-times in one go as the sun is low down on the horizon, however I do begin to miss the deep-field sky with the scope resigned to the corner of the garage for at least another 3 months to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes past the solstice which is always a shame (lemme just lock the Earth in this position!) but at least over here I've actually had some decent warm & hot weather. Usually in the UK its only after the solstice we get something decent. 

I for one will enjoy these precious few weeks of ample light and the freedom to get things done at reasonable pace. It sure contrasts to when I arrived here in November and was trying to get to know my surroundings - it was very restrictive only having chilly weekends to explore things. It was February before I even saw some of the city districts I'd visited many times in actual daylight. They seemed a damn sight more welcoming in the light as indeed does this whole city during spring/summer. Every weekend there's parades, open air parties/festivals and all sorts going on. Back in winter it was a choice of pack yourself into a small smoky bar (no smoking ban here) or stay at home!

Yes Tony27 is right, we don't need 30C, even modest temps of 22C to 25C in summer feel scorching if you're out and about in very strong sunshine, was out in rural areas today and got attacked by swarms of large flies, not sure how people find the attraction in that and also overgrown footpaths so you cant go walking unless you like getting stung, pretty horrid out there in the countryside to be honest, just want cold dry conditions with no bleedin flooding in winter, only good thing about this time of year is it's dry.

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 3

Posted

Yes Tony27 is right, we don't need 30C, even modest temps of 22C to 25C in summer feel scorching if you're out and about in very strong sunshine, was out in rural areas today and got attacked by swarms of large flies, not sure how people find the attraction in that ...

I can - they're clean out of their minds,suffering from some mental abberation which renders them immune to misery and discomfort.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Struggled to sleep last night - room would not go below 24c even with the windows open.

Just feel very lethargic at the moment!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Pah 24c with some air movement is easy!

Try 29c, humid, can't open windows because of noise and having to get up at 4am to go see a client. After being in this very warm top floor flat having had temperatures well into the mid 30s by day and barely below the mid 20s at night and still being able to sleep with just a small fan... I do giggle when I hear the complaints on here about the distinctly pleasant summer weather in the UK!

Saying that we've been below 21c for a while now which at first was nice.. but am deffo glad I'm heading on holiday tomorrow to a place with perfect conditions - 25c by day, 18c by night and cooling Trade winds drifting in...

Posted

Struggled to sleep last night - room would not go below 24c even with the windows open.

Just feel very lethargic at the moment!

You must be lucky,my high for this year is 23 that was a month ago!!!You must be in a newish house or one with no insulation,or too much or a built up area,,try to keep windows open during the day so temps do not build up or keep sun drenched windows curtains closed a little.I used to sleep in a farmhouse when I was a kid and we had our Rayburn fire going 365 days a year for hot water and I was in a bunk bed in the room above the rayburn,it was terrible at times ,I often slept in the wide window bottoms or on the floor which you wouldn't believe how much cooler it was,try it!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

You must be lucky,my high for this year is 23 that was a month ago!!!You must be in a newish house or one with no insulation,or too much or a built up area,,try to keep windows open during the day so temps do not build up or keep sun drenched windows curtains closed a little.I used to sleep in a farmhouse when I was a kid and we had our Rayburn fire going 365 days a year for hot water and I was in a bunk bed in the room above the rayburn,it was terrible at times ,I often slept in the wide window bottoms or on the floor which you wouldn't believe how much cooler it was,try it!!!!

My house was built in 1914 and is not the best insulated.

It just struggles to cool down in south London after a warm day - you guys up north are very lucky!

July last year was just horrible for sleep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

From the 29th of this month there will be no lingering twilight at all.....on the 29th there will be true darkness between 12.51 and 1.40am. A date for the diary :)

My dad always said that come the beginning of August you can tell summer is on the way out, slowly but surely.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

From the 29th of this month there will be no lingering twilight at all.....on the 29th there will be true darkness between 12.51 and 1.40am. A date for the diary :) My dad always said that come the beginning of August you can tell summer is on the way out, slowly but surely.

I think there are more important things to go in my diary than clock watching essentially!Winter will come. Summer will come next year too surprisingly enough. Lol.
  • Like 5

Posted

I think there are more important things to go in my diary than clock watching essentially!Winter will come. Summer will come next year too surprisingly enough. Lol.

it didn't last year

• Like 4

Posted

Well, has anyone noticed the shortening days yet? I have - my super-sensitive laser eyes noticed at the turn of the solstice, and the plants know too.  Those embryonic hop flowers which I see as a harbinger of autumn's approach, have manifested themselves seemingly overnight, and where once was elderflowers are now tiny green berries. Ah summer, I can't say that it's been a pleasure. In fact I'm looking forward to watching you wither and die. Losing one and half minutes a day now, and the pace is accelerating...

• Like 1

Posted

Well, has anyone noticed the shortening days yet? I have - my super-sensitive laser eyes noticed at the turn of the solstice, and the plants know too.  Those embryonic hop flowers which I see as a harbinger of autumn's approach, have manifested themselves seemingly overnight, and where once was elderflowers are now tiny green berries. Ah summer, I can't say that it's been a pleasure. In fact I'm looking forward to watching you wither and die. Losing one and half minutes a day now, and the pace is accelerating...

It is darker here at nights noticeably because of cloud cover which takes the best part of an hour off daylight/twilight,our lightest evening was about a 10 days before solstice with a clear sky and a bright moon.I remember one winters day several years ago when it was very dull[approx. 13 December] when it seemed totally dark at 16.10 I have not seen it so dark at that time since.Combinations of dull/bright at the solstices make a huge difference!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Nope still light till around 11pm here on a clear night

I suspect it will get dark early tonight given its likely to be raining

• Like 1

Posted

Nope still light till around 11pm here on a clear night

I suspect it will get dark early tonight given its likely to be raining

The trick is to choose a reference point on the horizon by which the setting or rising sun can be measured, and note the change in position from day-to-day. To be fair to all those 'we love to be out in the sun types' I wouldn't expect them to be so obsessive; only those who share my deep-seated and total hatred of summer would perhaps understand.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

The trick is to choose a reference point on the horizon by which the setting or rising sun can be measured, and note the change in position from day-to-day. To be fair to all those 'we love to be out in the sun types' I wouldn't expect them to be so obsessive; only those who share my deep-seated and total hatred of summer would perhaps understand.

Yes, I have noticed and I do understand....the darkness is slowly starting to eat into the light although today  is quite nice with showers and a cool wind taking the temp down a little.

• Like 1