Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

30c can be achieved even in October, so a long wait yet potentially before any of that.The fact that some of us have to contend with working out in the rain and bitter cold makes me grateful that we have days and times like this. So glad we are at the opposite end of the scale to the winter solstice

I used to love working outside when it was cold and wet....lovely early mornings in the frost and mist....wiping your brow when the drizzle slowly drips down your face.....horses for courses I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

If you look at the seasons astronomically, the summer solstice marks the beginning of summer, so thank God there is a long way to the Autumn horrors.

Talking of '"a long way to the Autumn horrors"' if you were living in northern Finland i'm sure they can't wait for the night's to start drawing in :lazy: Daylight 24/7

http://liikennetilanne.liikennevirasto.fi/?cameraPanId=C1453507

Sorry.... The link works now ^^^^^^ :good:

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I wonder what's worse: 24 hour daylight or 24 hour darkness? I would say the former, it would destroy your ability to sleep!

• Like 1

Posted

Perhaps we should have 2 threads? One for the miserable cold, dark & wet loving whingers & one for those who love light & warmth?

Posted

If you look at the seasons astronomically, the summer solstice marks the beginning of summer, so thank God there is a long way to the Autumn horrors.

Daft innit - the start of summer is the very day that the days start to shorten! Then three days later it's midsummers day!! And for you who are blathering on about the heat to come and all that rubbish, all I'm concerned about right now is the irrefutable and irreversible (until Dec) fact that the days are shrinking. One step at a time... Nick L - 24hr darkness would siut me to a T - it's what I constantly endeavour to create in my home environment anyway during these desperate days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Perhaps we should have 2 threads? One for the miserable light & warmth whingers & one for those who love cold and dark?

Fixed that for ya! :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Perhaps we should have 2 threads? One for the miserable cold, dark & wet loving whingers & one for those who love light & warmth?

Nah... Keep it as one, makes it more interesting :p

• Like 3

Posted

Oi. We don't whinge when it's cold,dark and wet - that's exactly what summer types do when it's anything but 35C all day in summer. Miserable,whining bleeders. Besides, having seperate threads would mean we'd have nothing to bounce off each other except to reassure one another how good it is during their favourite season. "Oh isn't it wonderful today"? "Yes,isn't it".

Fixed that for ya! :)

I see what you did there!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Before it descends into one, let's not turn this into a summer people vs. winter people thread.

• Like 3

Posted

Before it descends into one, let's not turn this into a summer people vs. winter people thread.

Sorry. Not a word more be said  :) I shall exit.....>>>Thataway........

Edited by simshady

Posted

Ok I'll behave. I'm unlikely to be provoked anyway seeing as my star is rising!

• Like 1

Posted

As long as it's not too warm, dry, sunny and humid for prolonged period I'm happy enough. Really enjoyed Summer 2012 for example due to being largely free of such weather.

Lots of interesting weather too. Today, sunny and warm. Tomorrow, sunny and warm. Yesterday, sunny and warm.

Lots of interesting weather in Summer 2012 too. Today, dull and wet. Tomorrow, dull and wet. Yesterday, dull and wet.

Ugh, I think I need a lie down now.

Posted

Lots of interesting weather in Summer 2012 too. Today, dull and wet. Tomorrow, dull and wet. Yesterday, dull and wet.

I bet you could count the days on one hand that really were dull and wet from start to finish, unlike sunny and warm which even at this stage has gotten very tiresome and monotonous. We need rain and wind right now,and lots and lots of it!

• Like 1

Posted

Not many days have been sunny and warm from start to finish either. There's been a fair bit of cloud to contend with this month, not all of it bad in my book (convective clouds can look very pretty). And it's only low 20s at best - God help you if an actual heatwave arrives!

It's been a dry spell for sure but a drop in the ocean compared with how much rain there was before then. Bring the wind and rain in autumn please (though it's bound to happen sooner anyway).

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Losing a second is a million times better than gaining one.

Each to their own. I know you love the dark but it just seems ever so antisocial. Did you sleep most of the day today?

Posted

Each to their own. I know you love the dark but it just seems ever so antisocial. Did you sleep most of the day today?

Up at 0630. Back to bed when the sun got too much. Up again at 1130. Breakfast. Mulled around on here inbetween playing Xbox games in a darkened room. Pal phoned up having a spot of bother with his mo'bike. Had to begrudgingly go out in the awful glare of the day to fix that. Came back and had a nap. Going to shop soon,when the light at least starts to fade a little. Out all day tomorrow - forecast is bad so not looking forward to that at all. Wish it was mid November so badly.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Up at 0630. Back to bed when the sun got too much. Up again at 1130. Breakfast. Mulled around on here inbetween playing Xbox games in a darkened room. Pal phoned up having a spot of bother with his mo'bike. Had to begrudgingly go out in the awful glare of the day to fix that. Came back and had a nap. Going to shop soon,when the light at least starts to fade a little. Out all day tomorrow - forecast is bad so not looking forward to that at all. Wish it was mid November so badly.

No worries, barrie; now you're on the road to heaven...

Posted

I think that I would go stir crazy if it was 24-hour darkness. 17-hour darkness during the Winter Solstice is more than enough to evoke SAD for me.

the difference is even the shortest days of the year are still about as long as a working day 8-4 but nobody says the working day is too short, plus you are asleep at night when its dark so you only really see a few hours a day of darkness in winter, in summer if you get up at 7am you will see about 15 hours of daylight a day is that not enough? even if you get up at lunchtime you will see still about 10 hours of light a day in june and july,

we've already had some nice warm days this summer mildies really don't know how lucky they are, how many snow and ice days will i see in winter, 1 maybe 2 if im lucky, average temps in summer in any sun feels pleasant, in winter 7c and cloudy doesn't quiet cut it for me, preferably we need 0c in winter for snow  we don't need 30c in summer, maybe 25c+ if you want to get in your swimming pool, how many people have one?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

looking forward to tomorrow when we gain a little more time before it gets dark!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Haha. This is amusing! :laugh: And on June 23, the daylength will be 9 seconds shorter than on June 22, and on December 23, the day length will be 9 seconds longer than December 22.

It's just one big circle eh Scott :p:)
  • Like 1

Posted

went to bed really late last night and found it hard to sleep this morning as it was too muggy and too light, i don't know how laserguy can sleep in the day with all this light and stuffiness, still about 2 months to go until the days are not ridiculously long like they are now,

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 2