Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Autumn, the worst season nature could have possibly created!

Autumn on the prairies is truly magical and I am going to sorely miss it this year.... although only short it is by far an away the best season I have experienced anywhere in the world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I do believe tomorrow morning will be darker than this morning!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

In June and early July, Britain never experiences a true night-time. Even though it may appear to be very dark, we are in what's known as "Astronomical Twilight", which is when the sun is between 12 and 18° below the horizon. We are always in astronomical twilight even at solar midnight (about 01:10 BST). This is why on closer inspection, the sky always has a very deep blue tinge.In fact, in northern Scotland, the nights around the June Solstice don't even get past Nautical Twilight. This is when the sun is between 6 and 12° below the horizon. This makes nights quite bright and extremely brief.This time of year really shows how northerly our latitude is.

Noticed it coming back from the pub last night at 12:30am. Still yellows and oranges to the north.

Astronomical twilight at our latitude (southern Northern England) lasts from about the middle of May to the end of July. In Lerwick it lasts from 21st April to 21st August.

• Like 1

Posted

Exactly 3hrs and 7mins until solstice, but seeing as it's such a crappy,sunny day again I'm gonna finish me coffee and go back to bed. See y'all on the other side.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I do believe tomorrow morning will be darker than this morning!!!!

Unnoticed by many!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Think we lose a second tomorrow. Oh the pain. Long wait I'm afraid winter fans. Let us summer fans enjoy our time now. :)

Edited by Blizzards
  • Like 1

Posted

1151 - solstice! This is truly as bad as it can possibly get, but the pendulum has reached the end of its stroke at long,long,long last.

• Like 2

Posted

1151 - solstice! This is truly as bad as it can possibly get, but the pendulum has reached the end of its stroke at long,long,long last.

Ahh this is the best feeling one can get. Sun high in the sky, birds singing, life bustling with joy!
  • Like 1

Posted

Ahh this is the best feeling one can get. Sun high in the sky, birds singing, life bustling with joy!

Fill yer boots whilst you can,it's on its way out - and that's official.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Think we lose a second tomorrow. Oh the pain. Long wait I'm afraid winter fans. Let us summer fans enjoy our time now. :)

U really need to change your username!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Fill yer boots whilst you can,it's on its way out - and that's official.

Yep..it's only going to get better from here on in! ;)

• Like 2

Posted

Losing a second is a million times better than gaining one.

• Like 3

This weather is really getting on my mammaries now. It's ok for week or so, then my patience starts to fray. Hayfever, midges, insects, light at something past 3 in the morning, 11pm at night. Heat, sunburn, humidity, having to water garden. People blasting loud horrific music. Hard to sleep. Reminds me of and confirms exactly why I don't like this weather at this time of year.

At least some light at the end of the tunnel now we're at solstice. Models hinting at some changes as well. Bring on the blizzardcanes and Ice Age.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

With you on that Bobby! Bring on the dark nights and Blizzards.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

This weather is really getting on my mammaries now. It's ok for week or so, then my patience starts to fray. Hayfever, midges, insects, light at something past 3 in the morning, 11pm at night. Heat, sunburn, humidity, having to water garden. People blasting loud horrific music. Hard to sleep. Reminds me of and confirms exactly why I don't like this weather at this time of year.

At least some light at the end of the tunnel now we're at solstice. Models hinting at some changes as well. Bring on the blizzardcanes and Ice Age.

Agree with last bit, but thought you were a rain/wind fan, and didnt like cold?

but actually I have not minded this June, never felt painfully hot, winds mainly come from between north and east

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

At least with the longer days and warmth we are saving money, saving energy and saving on burning fuel to keep the lights on longer, run the heating etc, better all round, more freedom to move about and do more, come the winter the choices become more limited.  I appreciate some suffer allergies that peak this time of year.

Agree with last bit, but thought you were a rain/wind fan, and didnt like cold?

but actually I have not minded this June, never felt painfully hot, winds mainly come from between north and east

I do like rain and gales but snow and cold also, nothing better than a good blizzard. Yes at least it hasn't been too hot which is has made things more tolerable, still a pain though.

• Like 1

Posted

Hayfever, midges, insects, light at something past 3 in the morning, 11pm at night. Heat, sunburn, humidity, having to water garden. People blasting loud horrific music. Hard to sleep. Reminds me of and confirms exactly why I don't like this weather at this time of year.

And that's just scratching the surface. How anyone can like it is truly one of the great unsolved mysteries. I put it down to herd mentality, like following England in football. Nobody except the hardcore really likes it but get caught up in the hype and go along with it as it's the only thing to do at this time of year. There is one,and only one positive as Jax says - reduced heating bills. But the best things in life are never free, whatever they tell you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Yeah, because July and August are famous for their long, cold nights. :oops:

The fact that we're on that journey towards Autumn and Winter is enough for me.....:)

• Like 1

Do you lot start worrying about the long days of summer after 22nd December passes?

As long as it's not too warm, dry, sunny and humid for prolonged period I'm happy enough. Really enjoyed Summer 2012 for example due to being largely free of such weather.

Lots of interesting weather too. Today, sunny and warm. Tomorrow, sunny and warm. Yesterday, sunny and warm.

• Like 1

Posted

The fact that we're on that journey towards Autumn and Winter is enough for me.....:)

30c can be achieved even in October, so a long wait yet potentially before any of that.The fact that some of us have to contend with working out in the rain and bitter cold makes me grateful that we have days and times like this. So glad we are at the opposite end of the scale to the winter solstice