Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I love the run up to the solistace for mornings. I've stopped drawing curtains so i like the sun in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Only 18 days until the days get better shorter...

I jest of course, love the light days, plenty of parties/football to do over the summer, but it's not long until the real fun comes back!

Waking up at 5am and it being light is always weird for me, but it's great to be out until 10pm whilst it's light, but nothing compares to walks in the dark at 7/8am in the winter, and even coming back home while it's dark, more eery/festive.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Am off to bed now and up at 03.45 in morning for trip to Bletchley so I for one will be making most of the daylight!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Still fairly light at 10pm here now, obviously more noticeable oop North. Up at 5-6am most mornings these next two weeks so will certainly be utilising the daylight to help wake up. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

This rather nice shot was taken today 04:23:39 at Saltburnhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/66935303@N03/14369993692/

now stuff like that I like and can never get enough of :)

Posted

Only a couple of weeks until Laserguy awakens and starts calling for a washout.. "As the nights grow longer, Lazerguy grows stronger".

• Like 1

Posted

Only a couple of weeks until Laserguy awakens and starts calling for a washout.. "As the nights grow longer, Lazerguy grows stronger".

Feeling pretty weak now as the crisis approaches, been ticking the days off the calendar since March!

• Like 2

Posted

Feeling pretty weak now as the crisis approaches, been ticking the days off the calendar since March!

Just 9 days until the mornings start shortening and 15 until the evenings shorten!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Just 9 days until the mornings start shortening and 15 until the evenings shorten!!!

On the home run now - I can taste the finishing line.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Met some Australians here and they're stunned by how late it stays light - something you certainly don't get there! Everyone of course loving it, as am I - total freedom to enjoy the day without worrying about it getting dark - well not until almost time to head to bed anyway. So so so much easier. 

I'm up early (like 0430) to see a client tomorrow - how glad am I it's this time of year - a gazzillion times easier to drag yourself out of bed after only 4-5 hours sleep. Don't want to think about how hard it'd be in January! ugh even uttering that 'J' word fills me with dread - long live the living time of year!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Met some Australians here and they're stunned by how late it stays light - something you certainly don't get there! Everyone of course loving it, as am I - total freedom to enjoy the day without worrying about it getting dark - well not until almost time to head to bed anyway. So so so much easier. I'm up early (like 0430) to see a client tomorrow - how glad am I it's this time of year - a gazzillion times easier to drag yourself out of bed after only 4-5 hours sleep. Don't want to think about how hard it'd be in January! ugh even uttering that 'J' word fills me with dread - long live the living time of year!

Could not agree more!! Might as well watch the back of your eyelids in January it's that dark zzzzz !! How anyone can prefer that to now is beyond me!
  • Like 2

Posted

Met some Australians here and they're stunned by how late it stays light - something you certainly don't get there! Everyone of course loving it, as am I - total freedom to enjoy the day without worrying about it getting dark - well not until almost time to head to bed anyway. So so so much easier. 

I'm up early (like 0430) to see a client tomorrow - how glad am I it's this time of year - a gazzillion times easier to drag yourself out of bed after only 4-5 hours sleep. Don't want to think about how hard it'd be in January! ugh even uttering that 'J' word fills me with dread - long live the living time of year!

Yes my sister married an aussie and he couldn't get over the late nights as he came over near the solstice,he was truly amazed,we should all be more thankful of the variety that we have here!!!

Posted

I'm up early (like 0430) to see a client tomorrow...

I have to get up at that time every day for weeks on end if I'm on 'earlies'. Being rudely awoken by the sun when you've only just gotten off to sleep 'cos it's too damn warm gets extremely fatiguing in pretty short order. In any other season, sleeping is easy. God I hate summer, have I ever told you?? Counting the minutes 'til the psychological milestone of the solstice is upon us. Ye I know the shortening days aren't noticeable for a while but just knowing the tide has turned is fabulous.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

I have to get up at that time every day for weeks on end if I'm on 'earlies'. Being rudely awoken by the sun when you've only just gotten off to sleep 'cos it's too damn warm gets extremely fatiguing in pretty short order. In any other season, sleeping is easy. God I hate summer, have I ever told you?? Counting the minutes 'til the psychological milestone of the solstice is upon us. Ye I know the shortening days aren't noticeable for a while but just knowing the tide has turned is fabulous.

I do earlies every other week and it's so much easier to get up at this time of year, although I can sleep easy enough in any temperatures, can easily fall asleep on the settee at 3pm when it's 30c outside.

Posted

So glad I have managed (for now at least) get off rotating shifts as they bugger up the body clock no matter the time of year.  Read somewhere that early death rates increase for shift workers too.  Why some businesses that do shifts do not allow staff on rotation to pick a preferred shift and keep it I will never know, it can be done if you ask your staff and offer it.  Had that with one big name where some of us on 6-2 were more than happy to stick with that and some on 2-10 were more than happy with it, and we would technically swap every other week, but no, they said it was "not allowed!", by whom? there are no laws on such a thing and there was no reason it could not be done, none at all.  Anyway they are now not doing so well as a business and most of the staff have left one way or another now.

• Like 2

Posted

Jax, if management (who,truth be told couldn't manage a couple of pints or run a tap) had to experience the misery of rotating shifts themselves, things may be different. I put up  with it 'cos I'm paid accordingly - you make your bed etc...  But ye, I'm gonna try to negotiate a pattern where I don't do earlies. Bloody killin' me, they are,yet other folk would do them willingly all the time. Everyone would be happier if they could pick 'n' choose but those running the shop don't seem to recognise the benefits that would bring to all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

We get constant twilight between midnight and 2:30 here at this time of the year, forgot how much I enjoy it!

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It's a lot easier to get up for me when the sun is already shining. In winter, it's dark. and usually cloudy and damp, and it's soul-destroying - there is no incentive at all to get up, When it's sunny, I actually want to go outside, and the walk to the bus stop or train station is actually enjoyable.

Posted

Jax, if management (who,truth be told couldn't manage a couple of pints or run a tap) had to experience the misery of rotating shifts themselves, things may be different. I put up  with it 'cos I'm paid accordingly - you make your bed etc...  But ye, I'm gonna try to negotiate a pattern where I don't do earlies. Bloody killin' me, they are,yet other folk would do them willingly all the time. Everyone would be happier if they could pick 'n' choose but those running the shop don't seem to recognise the benefits that would bring to all.

I do perm earlies as they hate them and I can do them happily, must admit they dread me having time off as they have to cover for me, but we cope.  You can do such things if you try and it makes everyone happy, that is happy staff.

Posted

With the moon near full at the moment it is very bright here even after midnight just now.Worth a reminder that true midnight is 1am BST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

00:04 - looking NNW - twilight still present. This is about as dark as it gets.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Noctilucent clouds also add some 'luminosity' to things, talking of which there looks to be a nice display over Norway that should be visible in the NE come another hour or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

So glad I have managed (for now at least) get off rotating shifts as they bugger up the body clock no matter the time of year.  Read somewhere that early death rates increase for shift workers too.  Why some businesses that do shifts do not allow staff on rotation to pick a preferred shift and keep it I will never know, it can be done if you ask your staff and offer it.  Had that with one big name where some of us on 6-2 were more than happy to stick with that and some on 2-10 were more than happy with it, and we would technically swap every other week, but no, they said it was "not allowed!", by whom? there are no laws on such a thing and there was no reason it could not be done, none at all.  Anyway they are now not doing so well as a business and most of the staff have left one way or another now.

Yep, get that in my place too. I prefer lates i.e 12-10 or 3-10 and other people prefer the early shifts i.e 5.45-3 etc. They say that everyone has to do their fair share of lates but if some people prefer early shifts and some prefer lates then why don't they just put the people who WANT to do the early shifts on early shifts and those that want to do the late shifts on late shifts? I can't get my head around it personally. Are they intentionally trying to annoy people?

• Like 1