Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Bit OTT that :lol: wrt to champagne etc. I could argue its just as unnatural to see it dark at 4pm in December... But still, each to their own I guess. For sure, most will get about as normal, but just like some enjoy the dark (!?!?), many will enjoy the opportunities lighter evenings bring too. :)

Winter is my perfered season due to the ability to sleep and not get blinded, forget the curtains/blinds :p I believe at a certain time it should be dark and then light. This new daylight saving time is here to cause disruption. It causes congestion and all sorts. As people flock to the beaches.. It may do good for the economy, but for simple folks - it is a travesty.
  • Like 1

Posted

What does it matter if you're blinded at 10pm rather than 3am? There's no more daylight, it just gets organised in a way which benefits most people. I'm seriously worried about some of the posters in here. Maybe they should live in the Arctic circle in Winter & the Antarctic in summer & leave the rest of us to carry on living our lives?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think some are completely exaggerating the "pain" of the clocks change. If you can't cope with an hour of difference, see a doctor!

• Like 3

Posted

What does it matter if you're blinded at 10pm rather than 3am? There's no more daylight, it just gets organised in a way which benefits most people. I'm seriously worried about some of the posters in here. Maybe they should live in the Arctic circle in Winter & the Antarctic in summer & leave the rest of us to carry on living our lives?

I am no recluse, I enjoy going out. But its just my preference. Im a chilled out person, when the sun is out and shinning is is inviting to go outside, but some just like being in their cosy home. Sleep should be treated as your 5 a day. Without adequate sleep your body does not function properly. This leads to a increased risk of car crashes.. The list goes on. People lead busy lifes nowadays which just highlights that this does not work in a modern society. It may work for the retired, but many are left out.Edit: Nick 1 hours makes a vast difference in terms of sleep, nighty night :lazy: Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I am no recluse, I enjoy going out. But its just my preference. Im a chilled out person, when the sun is out and shinning is is inviting to go outside, but some just like being in their cosy home. Sleep should be treated as your 5 a day. Without adequate sleep your body does not function properly. This leads to a increased risk of car crashes.. The list goes on. People lead busy lifes nowadays which just highlights that this does not work in a modern society. It may work for the retired, but many are left out.

Edit: Nick 1 hours makes a vast difference in terms of sleep, nighty night Posted Image

Go to bed earlier or just stay in bed, it's Sunday!

• Like 2

Posted

Sort out the finances for me, and I'm off. Y'all make it sound all so simple. I wish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

1. Days are so long in June anyway (16+ hours) that it doesnt make much of a difference

2. Why do we throw it back in October? - Days are so short in winter.

3. The morning after DST comes into force, there is a peak in heart attacks due to sleep deprivation. So unless the country likes to kill it's citizens...

That's my grudge towards it.

1. Yes but it isn't June yet and as of today sunrise & sunset times are much more suited to when people are awake. Sunrise pre 6am but sunset pre 7pm is not efficient with daylight in the current way society operates. The DST change is at its most useful from now till mid May (and again in August & September). Why does the "days are long enough in June anyway" always be the first point on this? Think of the other inbetween months too!

2. I'd agree - I'm happy to stay on this timezone all the time. It makes it so much easier to communicate with colleagues (and friends) in Asia. For the next many months both my colleague & I will work shifts that cross over by 5 hours instead of 4. Much more useful!

3. What about the other clock shift then? The sudden plunging of the evening rush hour into darkness is horrendous on the roads. I'd say if you can't get up 1 hour earlier then something is deffo wrong with you!

I am no recluse, I enjoy going out. But its just my preference. Im a chilled out person, when the sun is out and shinning is is inviting to go outside, but some just like being in their cosy home. Sleep should be treated as your 5 a day. Without adequate sleep your body does not function properly. This leads to a increased risk of car crashes.. The list goes on. People lead busy lifes nowadays which just highlights that this does not work in a modern society. It may work for the retired, but many are left out.
Edit: Nick 1 hours makes a vast difference in terms of sleep, nighty night Posted Image

For someone who is posting on a forum at 0353 you certainly weaken your argument! Try going to bed closer to sunset rather than sunrise and you'll find it much easier to get your 5-a-day sleep in full.

• Like 4

This morning I am feeling slightly jaded having missed an hour's sleep but biting the bullet and sticking with it, 'cos in just under a fortnight the clocks will be going forward another hour when I go to France for a few weeks, when we will have to do it again.

Personally I would prefer to keep BST throughout the year - I hate it when sunset is at 1552 hours, especially on a dark and gloomy day. We did have the experiment of keeping BST for a year back in the 70's and personally I thought that  was much better.

• Like 1

Posted

i don't know why people crave so much light, i understand it keeps the electricity bills down and light is more convenient to do things outside in summer but i wouldn't want it to be light for every waking hour every day of the year, i like it to be dark in the afternoons and evenings in winter, darkness is not horrible or depressing to me, daylight can be too bright and harsh at times and gives me a headache, 

plus we still get about 7-8 hours of daylight in winter which is about as long as a working day i don't hear anyone say the working day is too short, 

• Like 1

Posted

I don't hear anybody arguing for no dark? We need darkness. Some of us prefer lots of daylight, others not so much. Unless the axis of the Earth changes, neither of us will get our way so we just have to make the best of it. Personally, I reckon late April & August have it about right, Light by 6 & dark at 9.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

This will be my last week of getting up in the dark at the moment it is twighlight when i leave the house..by the time i return to the UK and start work again the 2nd week of May it will be light plus the fact i will be starting an hour later than i do nowPosted Image

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Yeah, a bit of darkness is good. On a night out its preferable for it to be dark so that would be my argument for not having double BST as it would still be light here at 11.30/midnight. Plus in winter when its dull and wet who wants it to be light in the evening anyway. Loving the sunny evenings at the moment with the sun setting over all the fresh new growth and trees coming into leaf. A proper spring scene.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

It's pretty grim right now and going to get worse, but take heart guys - only about seven weeks 'til this evil trend is reversed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

It's pretty grim right now and going to get worse, but take heart guys - only about seven weeks 'til this evil trend is reversed.

Yep. It'll be over before we know it.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Not till early August though before it becomes noticeable especially on cloudy nights

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

maybe so but in 5 months time it will probably be warmer than it was today, despite less daylight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Here in South West Cornwall, on a clear night, the last bit of light doesnt leave till 10pm here now!!! Obviously its fairly dark by 9.30 though. Loving it. :D

Edited by Blizzards
  • Like 2

Posted

Here in South West Cornwall, on a clear night, the last bit of light doesnt leave till 10pm here now!!! Obviously its fairly dark by 9.30 though. Loving it. :D

Yes, I noticed there was still light in the sky at 9.30 tonight as the cloud cleared,when glancing out of the window. Lovely to see. Enjoy it while we can I say!

• Like 3

Posted

Not till early August though before it becomes noticeable especially on cloudy nights

I notice one millisecond the solstice passes - it's a psychological thing....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Here in South West Cornwall, on a clear night, the last bit of light doesn't leave till 10pm here now!!! Obviously its fairly dark by 9.30 though. Loving it. :D

Yep we still had a bit of light at 21:45 last night this time next month it won't be fully dark here till around 23:00 on clear nights :D

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Just under 4 weeks to the solstice and then back on the downward slope.

yes it is not a great thought to start the day. To me it seems to take ages to get to a point where the evening is of some use, weather permitting, but then it seems quicker to get darker losing the evening light. All in the mind I know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I notice the changing daylight hours much more in Canada than I do here..probably because it always seems to be cloudy wet and dark here where as back in Canada sunshine and clear days and nights were the norm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just under 4 weeks to the solstice and then back on the downward slope.

I prefer to think of it not as a downward slope but rather a glorious freewheel after the arduous climb to the solstice.

• Like 3