Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'm fine with the clock system as it is. That being said i'm a student so if anything lighter nights are better for me and lighter mornings of no advantage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

3 weeks today British summer time will be here and the road to light nights really kicks off

• Like 1

Posted

Still do not understand what is wrong with GMT, arguments to alter time do not make more light after all, that is always going to remain the same, and your life choice of awake hours will determine how much of that you see.

I blame all these bloody nine-to-fivers with their cushy numbers. Still not happy so they want to fiddle with the clocks... gawd knows why - are they really gonna stay out with their dreadful barbecues 'til midnight,every night from May to July?

• Like 2

Posted

There is absolutely no point in dawn being at 3am & then it getting dark at 9pm in the summer. Most countries outside of the tropics, use some sort of clock change during the year, so presumably they are all wrong too? I can't understand why some of you get so het up about it.

• Like 1

Posted

I blame all these bloody nine-to-fivers with their cushy numbers. Still not happy so they want to fiddle with the clocks... gawd knows why - are they really gonna stay out with their dreadful barbecues 'til midnight,every night from May to July?

i doubt it, most people go to bed early in this country anyway, so im baffled why they want it to get dark at 11pm in summer when the days are more than long enough already anyway

Posted

But why does it matter so much? Either way, light at 11pm is far more usable for most than light at 4am?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Still do not understand what is wrong with GMT, arguments to alter time do not make more light after all, that is always going to remain the same, and your life choice of awake hours will determine how much of that you see.

Again as previously said - the difference applies not just to the solstice period but mid/late spring and late summer/early autumn when the energy savings from having light when more people are awake is quite significant. There are few of us who have the power to shift the entire timing of the daily cycle of life for society as a whole - so this is a fair compromise.

But still - Europe should follow the US clock move timings for sure!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Clocks when forward this weekend here..was still nice and sunny at 7.15pm...wasnt dark before 8pm.

Posted

i doubt it, most people go to bed early in this country anyway, so im baffled why they want it to get dark at 11pm in summer when the days are more than long enough already anyway

It's so's they can wander around the fading barbecue - having kept half the neighbourhood awake with it's dreadful miasma - keeping an eye on the petunias with half-closed eyes from a little too much lambrini, telling each other how gorgeous it is and how they can do it all again tomorrow...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I know, grim isn't it.

Edited by CreweCold

Daylight saving time begins at 02:00 (07:00 GMT) tomorrow in the USA with the clocks going forward +1 hour still don't understand why the UK leaves it so late

Yes, what is the reason for the discrepancy between the Spring - the clocks changing after the equinox in the Summer half of the year, compared to the Autumn when the change is in the Winter half of the year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Happy days are here again...?

Really!?

I miss Fonzy.

• Like 1

Posted

Happy days are here again...?

Crappy days, more like. I've just awoke from a mad,mad dream where in one scene we had a late-season cold snap. Some gorilla who was after my blood tried to walk over a barely frozen water gulley to carry out the deed upon my person. I knew it would give way so encouraged the guy. Sure enough he got to the middle and down he went - straight as an arrow. Only vestige of his previous presence was the sight of his daft white bobble hat floating amongst the fractured ice. Oh how I laughed. Just sayin'.... maybe it was a psychological acknowledgement of the turning seasons and the grim weeks and months to come.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes, what is the reason for the discrepancy between the Spring - the clocks changing after the equinox in the Summer half of the year, compared to the Autumn when the change is in the Winter half of the year?

There is actually a sound reason why clocks are changed nearer the equinox in spring than in autumn. This is that the earth's orbit is elliptical, and therefore its speed round the sun changes during the year. This has two relatively subtle but easily observable effects, one of which is that the northern hemisphere's winter half of the year is shorter than the summer half (ever wondered about February being the shortest month?) The other is that the actual time of midday as you observe the sun varies by about 16 minutes either way - hence the term Greenwich Mean Time, where the mean time that the sun is due south is defined as 12.00.The earliest solar noon is in autumn and the latest in late winter, meaning that sunrise and sunset are earlier than you might expect in October and later in March. It is the time of sunrise that dictates when we can tolerate putting the clocks forward, and because of the uneven motion of the earth the same sunrise times are observed nearer the equinox in March.However, the above effect only partially accounts for the changeover dates generally adopted in Europe. We could put our clocks forward in the first week of March and see the same sunrise times as when we put them back in October. No one has ever given me a satisfactory explanation for that.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

The equinox occers today at 16:57 GMT.

• Like 1

Posted

YAY, welcome back to lighter and longer days than the nights (my Pagan calender also pointed this out to me)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yay! :D The good days are coming. Why celebrate a feeble northerly at this time which just brings some cold rain or a little sleet at best for most? Warmth and sun please now. :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The rate at which the days are getting longer will start to decrease from here on in, winter is coming ;)

• Like 1

Posted

The rate at which the days are getting longer will start to decrease from here on in, winter is coming Posted Image

remind me never to invite you to any partiesPosted Image

• Like 4