Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Still too dark in the evening for my liking. I get home at 5.30 just enough to get half an hours daylight. In a months time i will have 2 and a half hours daylight after work.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

When sunny in the evening the last bit of light isnt fading till quarter to seven here. Excellent stuff. Perfectly light even at 6pm now.

Edited by Blizzards
  • Like 3

Posted

Still too dark in the evening for my liking. I get home at 5.30 just enough to get half an hours daylight. In a months time i will have 2 and a half hours daylight after work.

If you did a night shift you'd about fourteen hours of daylight all to yourself after finishing work. You wouldn't have to kip thru' all of it , but I would - if I could.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

should seem comciderably lighter at nights since we are having some cloud free nights,something that has been in short supply all winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Last pre 18:00pm sunset here until October 21st.

Another 2 days to go for me 18:00 sunset on Monday and 18:02 on Tuesday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

2 more days and I'm clear of 6pm too. At last sunset after work has ended! Good riddance to short days!

• Like 6

Posted

12hr nights next week -  if I'm careful I can get thru' the whole week with seeing the bare minimum of daylight by staying in bed for most of the day. After that, such a stunt will become increasingly difficult.

Posted

Some folk wouldn't be able to cope with what the likes of Stornoway get in June............ http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=2309&month=6&year=2014&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Earliest sunrise 04:20

Latest Sunset 22:35

Posted

Some folk wouldn't be able to cope with what the likes of Stornoway get in June............ http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=2309&month=6&year=2014&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Earliest sunrise 04:20

Latest Sunset 22:35

Try Lerwick: Almost 19 hours of daylight on the summer solstice! http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?month=6&year=2014&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1&n=2180

But what goes up, must come down: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=2180&month=12&year=2014&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Makes you realise how far north the UK is at it's northernmost point. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_northernmost_point

Posted

Yes, they get lots of light in the summer but very little light in the winter

Posted

Yes, they get lots of light in the summer but very little light in the winter

My dad used to work on the HMRC cutters (boats). There is a picture of his cutter, taken from another nearby, around midnight in Scapa Flow in mid June and it is almost daylight - a kind of twilight. I've always been fascinated by it.

Although the sun does officially set I don't think it ever goes truly dark up there at that time of year, the sun is only just over the horizon.

Edited by March Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

My dad used to work on the HMRC cutters (boats). There is a picture of his cutter, taken from another nearby, around midnight in Scapa Flow in mid June and it is almost daylight - a kind of twilight. I've always been fascinated by it.

Although the sun does officially set I don't think it ever goes truly dark up there at that time of year, the sun is only just over the horizon.

Amazing how light can vary,even here a few years ago I was haymaking close to the solstice and there was a good half moon ,worked out in the fields until 2 am with no lights at all and it was quite light and your eyes adapt as it takes 30 minutes for your eyes to adapt.Have been to stornoway last October and it is certainly lighter than here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Sunset already well past 6pm here. Will be 18.13 tomorrow and given the sunny conditions it wont properly get dark till 7pm now. Fabulous. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Try Iceland - went there around the summer solstice a few years back. Magical it was! Finished a late dinner and drink in a restaurant with the sun streaming in at 11pm.. went to a club till 2am and walked back as the sun came up again. Messes with the mind a bit though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Even here from mid-June to July it never gets fully black, the sky is always a very dark navy blue. Only for about 2 weeks with clear skies though.

Posted

Daylight saving time begins at 02:00 (07:00 GMT) tomorrow in the USA with the clocks going forward +1 hour still don't understand why the UK leaves it so late

• Like 2

Posted

Daylight saving time begins at 02:00 (07:00 GMT) tomorrow in the USA with the clocks going forward +1 hour still don't understand why the UK leaves it so late

I dunno either, but let's leave it like it is.

• Like 2

Posted

Do their clocks go back earlier on in Autumn though?

Posted

Ahh well, I suppose its only usually a few weeks and only an hour. Usually we arent quite blessed with such stunning weather this early on in Spring so perhaps why it feels a bit more annoying. Didnt go fully dark until about 7.20pm here tonight! :D

Posted

I don't even know why the UK wastes it's time doing it in the first place. Days in summer are so long anyway that it just makes it completely pointless.

Probably because Europe changes the clocks other wise we would be 2 hours behind central Europe from late March

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Still do not understand what is wrong with GMT, arguments to alter time do not make more light after all, that is always going to remain the same, and your life choice of awake hours will determine how much of that you see.

• Like 2