Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Then again there are some on here who would rather have our daylight during the night so it is dark during the day....or maybe they are miners decendants!!!!

Actually, that's true!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

How could it be dark in England when it was daylight here at 8:30? (Sun was not up) That doesn't make sense.

Even here in the south east of England it was still pretty dark at 7:50am due to very thick cloudcover.Sunset here will be 16:40 after the clocks go back, and with thick cloudcover it will most certainly be dark at half 4. I'll be walking home in the dark soon.

Posted

well i spent most of the day at the allotment and its still daylight out there now, the days are still long enough if you get up early and use it

Edited by Tony27

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

i wonder if they complain in the USA when the clocks going back, in some parts of the USA sunrise is at 6:30 am but sunset is before 5pm currently

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

What a complete waste of time these long nights are with hardly any temperature deviation,

I don't know I find it easier to sleep in the dark

The real winter gloom is now upon us.

Only 4pm and dark is decending

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

i wonder if they complain in the USA when the clocks going back, in some parts of the USA sunrise is at 6:30 am but sunset is before 5pm currently

Heard some New Yorkers complain once on the TV about the short Winter days over there but they should try living as far North as here and Scotland.

Posted

It's Samhain today, the cross quarter day, halfway between the autumnal equinox and the winter solstice. We are now entering the period in the cycle in which we receive the least sunlight.

Wonderful time of year for me - even in the lightest part of day there's still a pervading darkness lurking everywhere, only avoidable by being in the full glare of the low sun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Only another 38 minutes of day light left to go here now in the afternoon's before we reach the shortest day and the process of lighter nights re-commences

Only 40 days to go now until we start and gain extra light each day

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

"Only 40 days". Only!!

40 days is a lot short than say 80 or 90 days

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I hope you didn't go to Uni to learn that! lol. ;):)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

As much as I love the summer and the long nights, I can't deny that the longer days won't even be noticeable until the end of February. October, November & March. Horrible months. Posted Image

Posted

yeah technically 40 days, but in 80-90 days time it will still be getting dark at about 5pm or only a bit later than it does now, if it were may you wouldn't be saying it's only 40 odd days till the nights start getting longer again

as for the BST GMT debate even if we were on BST time now people would still switch their lights on when they get home from work at say 5 30pm 6pm so i don't get where all this saving electricity crap comes from, in the mornings i don't need the light on at 7 30am when i get up at the moment but would need it if we were on BST

personally i like the dark in winter and like the light in summer, it would be boring if it was either always dark or always light so i like the variety

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Well I've only got 2 weeks of nights drawing in as i'm off to sunnier climes in Australia for 3 weeks where am realy not sure what the sunset times are yet.One interesting thing I did notice last time I went was how quickly it went dark ,seemed so much quicker than here.Anyone got any ideas or was it my eyesight being distorted being upside down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Well I've only got 2 weeks of nights drawing in as i'm off to sunnier climes in Australia for 3 weeks where am realy not sure what the sunset times are yet.One interesting thing I did notice last time I went was how quickly it went dark ,seemed so much quicker than here.Anyone got any ideas or was it my eyesight being distorted being upside down!

Must be something to do with the path the sun takes. It will get higher in the sky than it does here but will also descend downwards towards the horizon at a more more perpendicular angle. So in the space of half an hour after sunset it will have disappeared further below the horizon than it would here.

• Like 1

Posted

Cloudy wet days make all the difference at this time of year. On such days it can be dark by 4.15pm. However, sunny days such as we saw on Monday maintain decent light levels until nearly 5pm.

Come December a wet overcast day quickly turns into dark skies by 3.15pm. Wet overcast skies in the morning can mean little light until 9am in early January.

Thank goodness we have christmas to brighten up the darkest period of the year.

However, I always look forward to starry frosty evenings in December and awaking to crisp blue sky mornings with frost on the ground at this time of year through until February. Something special about watching the sunrise on such mornings and setting on cold frosty clear sky days in winter - December especially - loved December 2010 for this reason.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The nearer the equator you go the faster the sun rises & sets due to the sharper angle relative to the horizon it takes. I know when I went to Barbados it was 5:30pm and the sun was well up but by 6:30pm it was pitch dark! Very different to long slow sunsets we get here in northern Europe.

Yes into the darkest time of the year - definitely not the easiest time to explore a new city I can tell you! Especially as Berlin is not very well lit - often by gas (in the west at least) or by the same fluorescent tubes you might use in your kitchen. I've got used to the UK's intense modern street lighting (well except my old estate which was also gas lit) so its quite a contrast!

And yeah I'm extremely glad christmas is in December and not June - it provides an island of joy in the sea of gloom. Be dire the other way round that's for sure!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Cloudy wet days make all the difference at this time of year. On such days it can be dark by 4.15pm. However, sunny days such as we saw on Monday maintain decent light levels until nearly 5pm.Come December a wet overcast day quickly turns into dark skies by 3.15pm. Wet overcast skies in the morning can mean little light until 9am in early January.Thank goodness we have christmas to brighten up the darkest period of the year.However, I always look forward to starry frosty evenings in December and awaking to crisp blue sky mornings with frost on the ground at this time of year through until February. Something special about watching the sunrise on such mornings and setting on cold frosty clear sky days in winter - December especially - loved December 2010 for this reason.

Some of the best sunsets and sunrises i have ever seen during December 2010, with that lovely low orange glow reflecting off the snow and ice... Many a morning i would walk up onto the moor to witness it. Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

I like the long shadows of a sunny December day. Has anyone seen a glory on the ground on such a day? Dewy grass does this well you often seen a halo around the head of your shadow. What is so strange is that if there is a group of you, you only see the halo around your shadow's head but no one else's. Yet your companions see it around their head's but not the others.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I like the long shadows of a sunny December day. Has anyone seen a glory on the ground on such a day? Dewy grass does this well you often seen a halo around the head of your shadow. What is so strange is that if there is a group of you, you only see the halo around your shadow's head but no one else's. Yet your companions see it around their head's but not the others.

Isn't this called Brocken Spectre?