Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm hoping that the entire winter can be like today - warm and bright with thundery showers.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I'm adjusting to the darker nights nicely this year. I can still play 5 a side and go down to the local floodlit driving range. Neither of which i did last winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

You do know this is about as normal as it gets for autumn? Mild, stormy & wet is the very definition of October like weather. It's not all frosts and freezing nights in autumn you know - that's much more akin to spring really!

No, you're horribly wrong. You know full well that this October is turning out to be milder than average (not to mention extremely dull with frequent rain) with a distinct lack of cool nights and not a single ground frost to speak of, let alone an air frost, which is why everyone seems to be peeing themselves with excitement (saves on heating bills, you see). This is not normal October weather - it's completely sh*t.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

but 8c is not normal october weather either but i bet you would be happy if it was like that wouldn't you, the Atlantic fires up in autumn so don't expect northern blocking with an early Arctic blast and air frosts, 16c is not normal technically for october, but it is normal in the sense if we have a long fetch south westerly wind which is the norm for this country i don't like warm weather now but im not surprised as 16c 17c happens in most octobers

Posted

Yes, I would, but I don't expect that (not sure why it's relevant either). I'm not asking for Arctic blasts - I never, at any point, mentioned an early taste of winter. I just want normal October weather, or something akin to last year, which was vastly preferable to this year.

I don't mind 16-18C in October - that isn't the issue. The issue is the lack of cool nights and sunshine. October is a cloudy month, but this year is taking the absolute pees, and the lowest temp so far is only 3.9C - higher than September - with no ground frost at all - shocking.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Back to the topic of jet lag...the real killer is working in the Far East.  Try getting off a plane 8 hours ahead of where you started and trying to keep awake in a meeting.  Even Australia's better because it takes nearly 24 hours to get there rather than about 12 hours to Hong Kong or Singapore, giving you more time to adjust.

Posted

You do know this is about as normal as it gets for autumn? Mild, stormy & wet is the very definition of October like weather. It's not all frosts and freezing nights in autumn you know - that's much more akin to spring really!

Well said, Autumn is the second warmest season, after all...
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes, I would, but I don't expect that (not sure why it's relevant either). I'm not asking for Arctic blasts - I never, at any point, mentioned an early taste of winter. I just want normal October weather, or something akin to last year, which was vastly preferable to this year.

I don't mind 16-18C in October - that isn't the issue. The issue is the lack of cool nights and sunshine. October is a cloudy month, but this year is taking the absolute pees, and the lowest temp so far is only 3.9C - higher than September - with no ground frost at all - shocking.

under this setup which is the norm by the way we won't get a ground frost, so again its no surprise that nights are mild, it can be dark for 20 hours and still be 10c at night if we have a SW wind blowing,

anyway back on topic people seem to go to bed earlier now that it is dark in the evening, my flatmate has already gone to bed

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

No, you're horribly wrong. You know full well that this October is turning out to be milder than average (not to mention extremely dull with frequent rain) with a distinct lack of cool nights and not a single ground frost to speak of, let alone an air frost, which is why everyone seems to be peeing themselves with excitement (saves on heating bills, you see). This is not normal October weather - it's completely sh*t.

It's still normal October conditions - but its just that is been fairly consistent in one type of October condtion rather than alternating. Besides we endured a bitterly cold spring - nature shall rebalance itself and all. For a real rebalance of spring we'd need a mild November and early December too of course...

Personally it's much easier to deal with-  the house has settled to 19c without needing to heat which is spot on when you're running around packing things into boxes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

It's still normal October conditions - but its just that is been fairly consistent in one type of October condtion rather than alternating. Besides we endured a bitterly cold spring - nature shall rebalance itself and all. For a real rebalance of spring we'd need a mild November and early December too of course...

Rubbish. We more than "rebalanced" March (13th coldest) with July (10th warmest), and the combined anomaly for August and September totally broke even with April and May's anomaly. Plus this month is going to end up very mild. We wouldn't need a mild November and December.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm more talking in length than depth - it was still chilly right into June. 

Posted

at night it was, not really during the day, its usually warm enough during the day for 7-8 months of the year for me to not wear a jumper or coat even though 14-17c and cloudy isn't lovely weather, in june i was moaning cos the chilly nights were no good for my crops, for me i didn't feel cold it was only the evenings that felt a bit chilly not during the day

Edited by Tony27

Posted

June was pretty average here temp-wise, but it lacked any hot weather to speak of.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Devoid of frosts, but bar that, some low and high maxima, some sunny days, mostly cloudy/wet days, with a few storms. You can never really get the average October, though this is very close.

Remember October 2012 was very cold, so 2013 is simply its counter act. I agree with Bottesford, it's not been spectacularly abnormal.

Posted

If they weren't stopped by getting soaked by all this rain what makes you think a bit of dark would stop them?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

no more noisy kids playing on my street from next week when the clocks go back, happy days

Nah.... Just setting fireworks off insteadPosted Image ....Keep the rain coming that'll stop em Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

If they weren't stopped by getting soaked by all this rain what makes you think a bit of dark would stop them?

actually i think it is half term around here next week so the kids will have all day to play outside, who says the days are too short!

i'll be out for most of the day anyway and when i get home it will be dark and i will be in peace

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

actually i think it is half term around here next week so the kids will have all day to play outside, who says the days are too short!

i'll be out for most of the day anyway and when i get home it will be dark and i will be in peace

Tempting fate there i believe Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Yes last journey home from work in daylight for most (which for me admittedly only reached the pub before 2 pints were had!) for a long time.

Still at least mornings will be a bit lighter - this morning was almost dark still when I reached the office at 0830!

Posted

if we were still on double summer time now it would be getting light here at about 8 30 am but getting dark 7 30pm

Now dark at 5:40.

really, how? sunset here was at 5:45pm tonight, in ireland it would have been after 6pm

• Like 1

Posted

How could it be dark in England when it was daylight here at 8:30? (Sun was not up) That doesn't make sense.

Because the cloud was so thick this morning meaning light levels were very low. Sun has only been up 40 mins by then too - so had too little power to penetrate the cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

light at 7.30am and dark at 6.15pm

sunday will be light at 6.30am and dark at 5.15 pm

so Monday half of us will be asleep or having our breakfast while the light is wasted and we will be able to come home after work and do my last cut of grass with a torch!!!!!!

Sorry you lot but it seems madness to me!!!!!!!!!

Then again there are some on here who would rather have our daylight during the night so it is dark during the day....or maybe they are miners decendants!!!!