Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

An compromise could be change the clocks back at the end of November and forward at the end of February........makes sence

Posted

that sounds reasonable, but people would moan even more that way about changing the clocks after only 3 months, as if changing a few clocks is a hard task anyway

Posted

You talkin' 'bout me? I'd be happy with that. How about all these folk wanting ever-lighter evenings having it get dark at 7pm in mid-June?

Yes. You seem determined to moan about anything that doesn't suit your particular weather agenda. How about lightening up a bit and accepting the fact we all have different preferences ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Interesting views in here. About clocks being moved. Wonder if we will see changes rather soon?!

Today saw me leave the house before sunrise and I returned just after sunset. I do miss the summer evenings...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Crikey this got heated!

I suppose everyone has their own opinion based on where they live and whether they are a morning or evening person and of course whether they like the light or not.

I offer my opinion purely based on a midlands point of view and of someone who when he gets home from work prefers to look round the garden rather than fumble around in the dark looking for the light switch.

Mornings - well blazing sunlight and warm is the ideal and gets me up ready to go so that's great.

But in winter with its darkness.... - well I personally I keep the lights off as harsh artificial light is not something my morning eyes & brain want.. I'll operate in near darkness keeping my head firmly in bed mode as long as possible!

As far as timezones and such goes - you can't win in winter -its dark too much for that. In summer its light lots (too much for some, I know) so that's ok. I guess its the inbetween time when any clock move would be most effective. 

Posted

Its only another 2 months until Solstice, by which time the sun will be retrograding and in March will be at the same position in the sky as today's, only with the days getting longer once more. 4 months is hardly 'make or break' and people often forget this as climate the worst of winter always occurs during February/March whilst the days are still getting longer.

• Like 1

Posted

It's all much of a muchness to me; it's not as if it changes the amount of daylight on offer, does it?

No, but some folk want to fiddle around with 'the clocks' to suit their tastes so it's light and dark at crazy times. Leave things be!

Posted

An compromise could be change the clocks back at the end of November and forward at the end of February........makes sence

Or maybe don't change them!! Its a waste of time.And we would benefit being on gmt because there would only be a 4 hour difference with new york. Edited by smithyweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Or maybe don't change them!! Its a waste of time.And we would benefit being on gmt because there would only be a 4 hour difference with new york.

But two hours difference from mainland Europe! 

Posted

If Scotland goes independent next year we could see them bringing in there own time zone, which in turn would free the rest of the UK to move its timezone if it wished to do so.I believe the current set up is down to Scotland yes, a BST type time zone all year round for England and Wales makes sense

Why are you are assuming that it's a Scotland v England/Wales issue? Sunrise and sunset are dependant on latitude. Would the people of Cumbria and Northumberland be happy with being BST all year round considering their latitude? You are never going to come up with a suits all solution for this. And it would be daft that a country as small as the UK have a timezone running through it. Do other countries around the world have such a problem? Do New Zealand? Chile? Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

So? There are parts that will be three hours by next sunday.

Outside Limavady there are a lot of people that do business with the EU. So it does matter I'm afraid to say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Ireland and scotland. Its only east of england that bst could work in.

There is literally just enough daylight in the north of Scotland to get brightness from about 8:30 to just after 3:30.

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Outside Limavady there are a lot of people that do business with the EU. So it does matter I'm afraid to say.

There are also alot of people who do business with america and they cope. We should not have to adjust our time to them when it is them who are on the wrong timezone.

There is literally just enough daylight in the north of Scotland to get brightness from about 8:30 to just after 3:30 - I think Ireland could conceivably having BST too?

I think they considered it and then realised how mad it was. I mean there is almost an hour difference between west coast of ireland and east coast of england.And the sunrise here is later than a large portion of scotland. Edited by smithyweather

Posted

And the sunrise here is later than a large portion of scotland.

Probably around half of Scotland has a later sunrise than Ireland, due to the fact that it has an earlier sunset, there's less light to work off here, just six hours for much of the country, then there locations such as the Shetland islands where there is really very little.

We got to school in the dark in December and return in the dark too.

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Also internally as well. 3 hours difference between east and west US coasts, then you have Alaska and Hawaii.

Why don’t we all have 15 minutes times zones and we all would be happier.

In the business world it would be nicer to have people at similar latitudes on the same time zone that’s all.

I do acknowledge having Australia on our time zone would be difficult Posted Image

Posted

Probably around half of Scotland has a later sunrise than Ireland, due to the fact that it has an earlier sunset, there's less light to work off here, just six hours for much of the country, then there locations such as the Shetland islands where there is really very little.We got to school in the dark in December and return in the dark too.

Only 25 minutes later at the most. Daylighlt here is 7 hours on shortest day so only 1 hour less.I think you are talking about south east ireland. Remember nw scotland is only 200 miles Edited by smithyweather

Posted

Working with clients in both the US and Europe I can tell you I wouldn't want to move nearer US time (+4 hours) but be further behind (-2 hours) from Europe. 

Having the US behind is good - you can get in to work and prepare things before they sign on - a lot of them start very early too (one guy gets to the office at 5am! But 7am is more normal) so it doesn't matter too much. 

But Europe is 1 hour ahead and even now they can pester you the moment you get in - but if it were two hours ahead (like our Ukrainian client who would then be +3 hours) its even worse. 

We also work with India a lot too - they would further out for the whole summer as well as in winter.

But worse is our guy who works for us over in Thailand - for him its dreadful when we go to GMT as we're asking him for things right into his evening! Or more common is we can't all work together from noon instead of 1pm as it is when we're on BST. Moving to Euro time would make my business life much easier that's for sure.

Posted

But so what? Thats their problem its not our fault we aren't on australian time. We shouldn't have to have some mad timezone just for them.

More people would goto holidays to america than asia anyway. I actually think that california is so far behind that it would be considerably better if there was a 7 hour difference. I mean 8 hours is a bit much for a place 5,000 miles away.

I will say that the countries west of the dateline should adjust timezones forward and countries east behind. Because newzealand etc is like 13 hours ahead which is rediculous.

Edited by smithyweather

Posted

How many hours ahead is sunrise in New Zealnad to ireland, or how far ahead is sunrise in Ireland to the centre of the states? You cannot 'shrink' the world to suit one place over another. Minor changes to give more daylight are sensible in each time zone but not beyond that.

Changes suggested by Nick above seem sensible in the business world.

Posted

Well yes you can. China has one timezone and Europe has a timezone covering three timezones.. 

And actually geographically. My location has a 7.5 hour difference and a 4 hour difference between USA coast. Sunrise changes but in the winter sunrise in Maine is 3 hours after here but in the summer sunset is 3 hours after here. 

Posted

There are also alot of people who do business with america and they cope. We should not have to adjust our time to them when it is them who are on the wrong timezone. I think they considered it and then realised how mad it was. I mean there is almost an hour difference between west coast of ireland and east coast of england.And the sunrise here is later than a large portion of scotland.

Only 25 minutes later at the most. Daylighlt here is 7 hours on shortest day so only 1 hour less.I think you are talking about south east ireland. Remember nw scotland is only 200 miles

I'm not entirely certain what you're trying to say here. Of corse, the most minor differences between Scotland and Ireland will be found in the sw of Scotland and the north of Ireland. What I'm trying to say is that there is a gap between the two countries (well, three countries including north Ireland). There is pretty much just enough daylight for the north of Scotland to go about relatively normal business, but it's quite a bleak scenario in the depths of winter. This area is mountainous so the sun "sets" in real terms and it becomes dark even earlier than the technical astronomical sunset. Anyone having visited the Highlands in winter will see just how little sunlight there is compared to the rest of the UK, alternatively visit in summer and there's prolonged bright nights with constant twilight in midsummer. Shetland receives enough sunlight in summer to host games of golf well past midnight.Re the clocks, the current system is fine. I can see why England and Wales might join BST to be in line with the continent but other than that, no major changes are needed. Edited by NorthernRab