Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Daddy long legs/harvestmen aren't actually spiders BTW but a different type of arachnid. They don't really bother me but I'll let them out of the house if I see them. Crane flies creep me out a bit with their chaotic flying around, sometimes blindly heading straight for your face.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Daddy long legs/harvestmen aren't actually spiders BTW but a different type of arachnid. They don't really bother me but I'll let them out of the house if I see them. Crane flies creep me out a bit with their chaotic flying around, sometimes blindly heading straight for your face.

And they contain a deadly poison too IIRC but luckily they have lost the ability to inject it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I'm on about these Bobby

Posted Image

Cellar spiders. These are the ones which prey on the big hairy house spiders.

And they contain a deadly poison too IIRC but luckily they have lost the ability to inject it.

That's an urban legend apparently, from wikipedia

An urban legend claims that the harvestman is the most venomous animal in the world, but possesses fangs too short or a mouth too round and small to bite a human and therefore is not dangerous (the same myth applies to Pholcus phalangioides and the cranefly, which are both also called a 'daddy longlegs'). This is untrue on several counts. None of the known species of harvestmen have venom glands; their chelicerae are not hollowed fangs but grasping claws that are typically very small and definitely not strong enough to break human skin.

I'm on about these Bobby

Cellar spiders. These are the ones which prey on the big hairy house spiders.

If they eat those darn things they're welcome in my house!

• Like 1

Posted

That's an urban legend apparently, from wikipedia

An urban legend claims that the harvestman is the most venomous animal in the world, but possesses fangs too short or a mouth too round and small to bite a human and therefore is not dangerous (the same myth applies to Pholcus phalangioides and the cranefly, which are both also called a 'daddy longlegs'). This is untrue on several counts. None of the known species of harvestmen have venom glands; their chelicerae are not hollowed fangs but grasping claws that are typically very small and definitely not strong enough to break human skin.

:(

there goes my plans to make my own flying monkey invasion force then...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes I like them for that reason. They're nowhere near as sinister looking and they're not as fast as tegnarias.

Here's one feasting on a house spider :)

Posted Image

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Until I read the last couple of dozen posts on here I thought ours was the only house with a slug problem.

Thankfully it now looks like they are an optional extra when buying a property.

Anyway they will soon all be killed off along with the other little pests and we can get our house back for family use only again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I don't like spiders, flies, slugs, whatever. Major trust issues with them.

Agree spiders always spinning some yarn

Flies always on the sick

Slugs always in a mess

I'll try to take spiders out but wasps sorry fair game

I notice how dark it is now by 8pm which is thread/spider related

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

10 days till the equinox...

• Like 1

Posted

can't go to the allotment in the evenings now as it is getting dark at 7 30 and i get bored being stuck indoors, i like the dark but only in winter 

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

You can really tell the difference now the nights are rapidly setting in

We are now approaching the time of year when it will either drag of fly by for those who like me don't like these long dark nights

14 weeks and a few days now till the shortest day

Posted

Was totally dark by 8.30 tonight, horrid day, it's noticeable how the twilight is much shorter near the equinoxes too. Only 30 minutes after sunset it's pretty dark, whereas you get around an hour of civil twilight at the solstice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Was totally dark by 8.30 tonight, horrid day, it's noticeable how the twilight is much shorter near the equinoxes too. Only 30 minutes after sunset it's pretty dark, whereas you get around an hour of civil twilight at the solstice.

Aye back in summer it wasn't fully dark here till getting on for 11pm at its peak

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Agree spiders always spinning some yarn

Flies always on the sick

Slugs always in a mess

I'll try to take spiders out but wasps sorry fair game

I notice how dark it is now by 8pm which is thread/spider related

I'm sorry I mentioned giant house spiders now and as stew says we have gone way off thread.........

Back on topic, its dark now.

Bed for me now and happy courting my leggy friendsPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Exactly 12 weeks on Saturday to the shortest day then from the 22nd the day light starts to go back in the right direction

Then 26 weeks later than that it's the longest day, then the daylight goes back downhill again. In 64 weeks time it's the shortest day again and daylight goes back uphill again. And so forth!It just goes around and around and around. No point wishing time away because it won't change the cycle. Just get out there and enjoy the outdoors, be it light or dark!
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Playing football last night- couldn't see anything from 730 onwards, and tomorrow is the equinox. Looks like we are streamrolling towards darkness, despite this warmer spell.

In the next week alone, we're losing 30 minutes of the day to the night here. The start of the 'waking up when it's dark' days!

Posted

Been waking up in the dark now for nigh on a month, maybe more, and have noticed the lateness of the dawn now too, still I do get to see more of the light in the afternoon/evening though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Although the equinox may be just a day away, because of the way the atmosphere bends the Sun's rays at sunset and sunrise, the light will still last a tad longer than the darkness after the equinox. The effect isn't massive though and as IF has said, with the loss of light so rapid at the moment, it will only take a several more days until each day is darker for longer than it is light.

Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 1

Posted

Exactly 12 weeks to the shortest day now

really? i guess 99% of people on here didn't know the shortest day fell on the 21st december

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Exactly 12 weeks to the shortest day now

An optimistic mindset, but we still have a helluva lot of daylight to lose in the meantime. Unfortunately mine is more like, it'll be six months till we have the equivalent of now.

• Like 1