Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Ah well, it's gone in the morning now. I arrive at work at 6am and it's now dark

Impressive, the speed things progress - was only 11 August that the sun was (just) still above the horizon at 6am!

Posted

The only thing that ticks me off when the clocks go forward is all the "Summer's here!" nonsense that you hear, even while the trees are still bare and you have snow falling, as was the case earlier this year.

Edited by March Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Sunset is now before 8pm and tonight is the first very cold night of the autumn. It's already down to 7.6C which is lower than any temperature between 4th July and 30th August Posted Image

What a difference! We're above 20C down here!

Posted

Very odd today, getting on the tube at 6.45 in hot sunshine, walking out from the station at the other end at 7.30 with my sunglasses already on, exactly as I have for the last 4 months... but finding it almost dark already! Really struck me today, Summer has gone for another year. Personally feel ready for some cooler, fresher weather.

Posted

The days certainly are shortening, getting on for 2 hours at each end of the day from sunrise and sunset times on 21 June for here.

0623 from 0435 and 1942 from 2137 BST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I'm not entirely convinced the sun has risen today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Had to put a light on this morning at 06:45.First time for ages..It was raining and the clouds were dark...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The low light levels today really cloud your head up I find. This morning especially my pc monitor was blazing bright with outside so dull it was giving me a headache - reminds me exactly of things to come when 4pm headaches return - the combo of an airless office + darkness mid way through the day really makes you feel rotten.

Of course I shall be working elsewhere this time so hopefully I can get some air in more easily!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

The low light levels today really cloud your head up I find. This morning especially my pc monitor was blazing bright with outside so dull it was giving me a headache - reminds me exactly of things to come when 4pm headaches return - the combo of an airless office + darkness mid way through the day really makes you feel rotten.

Of course I shall be working elsewhere this time so hopefully I can get some air in more easily!

Yes I think today's weather will only magnify the darkness this evening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

sun is out here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Clocks go forward in Canada first Sunday in March

Its a much better time to do it America does the same I think for some reason Europe does it way too late

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

We have to move our clocks when Europe does so not up to our government. 

Really thought it should move in line with the US if nothing else to help business - I've certainly felt the confusion of it at work before!

But really it'd help loads with energy saving as it would take daylight away from 6am-7am and put it 6pm-7pm when the majority of people are awake.

Posted

But really it'd help loads with energy saving as it would take daylight away from 6am-7am and put it 6pm-7pm when the majority of people are awake.

Stoppit! You'll be giving the AGW nuts ideas!

Posted

We have to move our clocks when Europe does so not up to our government. 

Really thought it should move in line with the US if nothing else to help business - I've certainly felt the confusion of it at work before!

How on under-god would it help business when the USA is 4 hours difference during that time period? Sorry but being 4 hours is better than 5 hours. 

Posted

Yes but its only 4 hours for 3 (or is it 4?) weeks of the year and you'd probably not be amazed how many people get caught out by that! 

It'd def be easier 4 hours all the time but that doesn't make sense given the distance here to the east coast of the US.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

It's a 5:30am start for me tomorrow so with a bit of luck there'll be some decent cloudcover and it will be dark at that time...

Posted

It's a 5:30am start for me tomorrow so with a bit of luck there'll be some decent cloudcover and it will be dark at that time...

Oh it'll be dark alright, don't worry about that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

If you walk round the house with the curtains closed how do you see without having to put on the lights on and do you have a couple of freezers with doors open like laserguy!

Posted

Certainly noticing the shortening levels of light, we are loosing 3 minutes at the start of each day and the end at the moment- the greatest daily rate of loss occurs fron now until the clocks go back. On cloudy wet days like today the effect is much more greatly felt, indeed because of this it feels like we have lost a month all of a sudden.

What a contrast in feel to say only 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Sunset is now before 8pm and tonight is the first very cold night of the autumn. It's already down to 7.6C which is lower than any temperature between 4th July and 30th August :cold:

We actually reached 5'C weeks ago but it went unmentioned be caused people weren't at all in winter mode

Posted

If you walk round the house with the curtains closed how do you see without having to put on the lights on and do you have a couple of freezers with doors open like laserguy!

I turn a couple of lights on but at this time of year I try to get outside as quickly as possible to enjoy the darkness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I turn a couple of lights on but at this time of year I try to get outside as quickly as possible to enjoy the darkness.

you wil have plenty of time over the next few months to enjoy that :)