Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with fog and a good layer of snow.

The dark is coming in faster and faster and I can not believe the difference over the last 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

Posted

No just the first evening since july that we have had cloud free.

Not around here it ain't,not by a long shot. Must've been some weird refraction effect or summat...

Posted

Nearly 100% dark now, which is fantastic. Now I'm back at school I can't wait for it to get very dark again, will cheer me up when I'm studying my a*se off for my A2's.

Ye - feels great to walk out of work in darkness,mulling around the shops all lit up,street lights and car headlamps reflecting off puddles 'n stuff - so atmospheric as opposed to the bland tedium of endless daylight!

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah, the darkness is really atmospheric. Plus, this may just be me, but a lot of the music I listen to just doesn't feel right if it's being listened to in the day; night supplements it a lot better and creates a better listening experience, as strange as that sounds. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Darkness is atmospheric and I do like it... but needs to keep its hands off the standard daytime period!

Tonight was nice - just about enough time for us to make & eat dinner outside then have a walk round afterwards. Then quick check round the garden before it gets too dark. But its getting close to being too early now - once its pre-7-7:30pm it really starts to bite. Pre 6-6:30pm and it begins moving into 'pain in backside' territory... pre 5-5:30pm and it becomes highly restrictive and introduces relatively dangerous commutes. Pre 4-4:30pm and its hibernation time!

Posted

Yeah, the darkness is really atmospheric. Plus, this may just be me, but a lot of the music I listen to just doesn't feel right if it's being listened to in the day; night supplements it a lot better and creates a better listening experience, as strange as that sounds. Posted Image

Don't sound strange at all - imagine going to the cinema and having the lights on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I love walking home in the dark; it's atmospheric and different to what you normally expect (coming back at 4/5 in daylight), and waking up in the dark can be a nag, but the skyline is so much better. Having a cup of tea at 630/7 in the morning when it's dark outside is just unreal.

I appreciate the warmth and sunlight, but as soon as we hit August/September, the rapidly declining sunlight hours just completely shift my mood to wanting long, long nights. I wouldn't want to be cycling back from work like Botty at 4/5pm in darkness, so I see where he's coming from- so I guess I'll have to appreciate it now, because maybe later on in life I'll end up wanting sunlight until 9pm all year long...

• Like 3

Posted

.... so I guess I'll have to appreciate it now, because maybe later on in life I'll end up wanting sunlight until 9pm all year long...

Advancing years haven't sullied my love of the dark - they've consolidated it. But I can see Botte's dilemma too; maybe he should just get a car!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Advancing years haven't sullied my love of the dark - they've consolidated it. But I can see Botte's dilemma too; maybe he should just get a car!

Not being funny but have you considered a move to scandanavia?

Posted

Of course I have - but my perpetually dire financial situation and family ties/commitments means that it can only be a pipedream.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

The evenings definitely seem to be dragging longer now, thankfully we have less than 4 months till we pass the shortest day and it gets lighter and lighter again. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

The evenings definitely seem to be dragging longer now, thankfully we have less than 4 months till we pass the shortest day and it gets lighter and lighter again. Posted Image

And then another 3 and a half months to get back to where we are today.

Posted

tromso in northern norway is fairly cool in the summer i think but it is light for about 22 hours a days in summer over there, at least it is dark for about 22 hours a day in winter though, lerwick is the best place to live in the uk if you hate hot weather, but im afraid there is no where in the world where it is dark all year round if you hate daylight,  i suggest live underground

Posted

Tromso is inside the Arctic Circle, so the sun doesn't set at all in mid-summer. The corollary of this is that it doesn't rise in mid-winter, but there is still civil twilight in the afternoon.

I wouldn't want to be cycling back from work like Botty at 4/5pm in darkness, so I see where he's coming from

He doesn't get any sympathy from me, nobody in their right mind cycles home on dangerous roads in rush hour in darkness, its just crazy, saw a cyclist go through a red light this morning, most have no respect for the highway code, btw I cycle do myself but sensibly and not in pitch black ever on dangerous roads.

Its pointless moaning about darkness anyway there is nothing you can do about it, maybe bottesford should get something else that he may be able to change to moan about instead of wasting our time with his endless moaning, now that is depressing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

He doesn't get any sympathy from me, nobody in their right mind cycles home on dangerous roads in rush hour in darkness, its just crazy, saw a cyclist go through a red light this morning, most have no respect for the highway code, btw I cycle do myself but sensibly and not in pitch black ever on dangerous roads.

Its pointless moaning about darkness anyway there is nothing you can do about it, maybe bottesford should get something else that he may be able to change to moan about instead of wasting our time with his endless moaning, now that is depressing.

There's nothing wrong with cycling on dark roads so long as you have suitable lights & hi-vis gear (as I do - and I switch to a hi-vis backpack too that time of year). Besides most of my route is backstreets & cycle tracks so isn't too bad. From where I live if I choose not to cycle I have these options:

- 10 min walk to bus stop then 10-15 mins bus journey at a cost of £3 each way

- 40 min walk

- 10-30 min car journey (traffic dependent) + buying a car

- (from autumn 2014) 10 min walk + 10 min tram journey + tram fare

Or I can stick to a free 15 min cycle ride.... It's an obvious choice! 

Either way its much less pleasant late Oct-late Feb no matter what choice you make.

Although this year it matters not as I'm leaving the country soon....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The sun is setting at 19:48 this evening and 19:38 on Monday

From Monday Its 202 days or 6 months 20 days till the next post 19:38 sunset which is March 31st 2014 way to long the clock's should be going forward on the first Saturday / Sunday of March not the last

Personally the end becomes in sight during February when the sun starts to set after 17:00

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The sun is setting at 19:48 this evening and 19:38 on Monday

From Monday Its 202 days or 6 months 20 days till the next post 19:38 sunset which is March 31st 2014 way to long the clock's should be going forward on the first Saturday / Sunday of March not the last

Personally the end becomes in sight during February when the sun starts to set after 17:00

Clocks go forward in Canada first Sunday in March

Posted

First Sunday in March would be much better!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Every time I see this thread's title, I feel a twinge of depression...Posted Image 

And, on the subject of the clocks - the 3rd Sunday in Feb'd be all right...

• Like 2

Posted

Every time I see this thread's title, I feel a twinge of depression...Posted Image 

And, on the subject of the clocks - the 3rd Sunday in Feb'd be all right...

Alright for what - putting back another hour?

Posted

Going forwards of course! 

I'd rather stick to BST all year but I know many wouldn't like it - it has its pros & cons. There are very few arguments in favour of staying on GMT all the time however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Regarding BST/GMT is say just stick with GMT, it is our time afterall, days and nights still last just as long whichever one we use, I like many work in a 24hr business so no matter the time format used I get good and bad weeks, only seems to be 9-5 workers and skool kids that want it, even the farmers tech now enables them to work in far more varied conditions these days.

Posted

If you changed default office hours to 7:30-4 (or 8-4) then great stick to GMT.

Some employers will let you do that but no everyone can. I know I have to stick to mostly core hours meaning GMT in summer would be dreadfully wasteful with daylight hours - the sun rising 5 hours before I start work and setting only 3 hours after I finish!