Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

nah it's quite a light august this year, the last really dark august was in 2001, it could be a darker than average winter this year possibly the darkest for 50 years although winter is deep deep FI so the charts will probably change, but i really hope we have a darker winter than last year Posted Image

Darker august,darker winter.....?? not sure what you are on about??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

We are losing 4 minutes of day light each day in Darlo now

Today is the last day of daylight at 14 hours or more until April 14th 2014 for us in Darlo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Is someone dimming the sun now? Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I think he means a cloudy stormy winter, this would make it appears darker than a sunny clear winters day.

I think he means a cloudy stormy winter, this would make it appears darker than a sunny clear winters day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

heard you the first time Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

There can be a large difference in daylight due to thick cloud or fog would guess around half hour in winter and an hour in summer being different to a clear sky and thick cloud.

Posted

dear me i was saying it in jest, how can anybody think i was being serious, of course it can't be a darker winter than last year, its the same every winter it has been and will be for eternity

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

dear me i was saying it in jest, how can anybody think i was being serious, of course it can't be a darker winter than last year, its the same every winter and has been and will be for eternity

Indeed, sometimes I struggle to believe this is a forum which relates to quite an academic subject area.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

dear me i was saying it in jest, how can anybody think i was being serious, of course it can't be a darker winter than last year, its the same every winter it has been and will be for eternity

Well, to be extremely pedantic, it can be darker - we could get 0 hours of sun in December! Posted Image

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Well, to be extremely pedantic, it can be darker - we could get 0 hours of sun in December! Posted Image

December 1890 saw 0 hours of sunshine in London.

Posted

December 1890 saw 0 hours of sunshine in London.

That's true, although I suspect it was partly down to the burning of coal and generally contributed to by a 'man-made atmosphere' at low levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_weather_records

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

That's true, although I suspect it was partly down to the burning of coal and generally contributed to by a 'man-made atmosphere' at low levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_weather_records

Yes that probably helped quite a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Funny how the comments about wanting cold and snow involve being sat inside a warm pub. You want it sub-arctic, the least you can do is get out there and make the most of it Posted Image

But you see, the being cosy part comes after several hours of being outside in it. Recent years have been brilliant for thisPosted Image

I have got more exercise and semi aerobic work-out than you could shake a stick at in the cold snowy spells of recent years. One of the very best has to be mid March this year. Extra special because it was so late in the season and because the snow was so powdery. I covered, literally, miles that day out in it - and then came home really hungry, uploaded the pics onto net weather, and then had a yummy hot dinner with vats of vino collapso whilst the snow fell in sheets outside. You just can't beat days like thatPosted Image Posted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 3

Posted

But you see, the being cosy part comes after several hours of being outside in it. Recent years have been brilliant for thisPosted Image

I have got more exercise and semi aerobic work-out than you could shake a stick at in the cold snowy spells of recent years. One of the very best has to be mid March this year. Extra special because it was so late in the season and because the snow was so powdery. I covered, literally, miles that day out in it - and then came home really hungry, uploaded the pics onto net weather, and then had a yummy hot dinner with vats of vino collapso whilst the snow fell in sheets outside. You just can't beat days like thatPosted Image Posted Image

Hear hear to much of that. I spend hours on days like that outside. Last March me and my two brothers decided to make the biggest pile of snow we possibly could do in our front garden. When we ran out of our own snow, we walked to the park opposite us, rolled up lots of snow and carried it back again, making trip after trip. That was some some exercise. The looks on people's faces though when cars stopped for us to cross the road whilst we were carrying these huge lumps of snow were looks of utter perplexity. :D
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The good thing about the March spell was the longer daylight hours - you could actually see it rather than it be dark most the time. Also coming home from work in the snow is a million times easier when it isn't dark. Dark rush hour in icy conditions isn't fun at all.

I also continue to get out & about in the winter - I ain't no hermit. But it definitely reduces compared to summer partly as it is cold - so you need more prep to go outside in the first place. Can't just wander out barefoot in the clothes you were wearing inside for example. But also the darkness is very restricting - with only 7 or so hours two days a week (i.e. 14 hours per week!) to choose from it doesn't exactly make it easy.

Although snow is fun and all that - the whole needing to prepare to meet the outside world and the stark contrast from indoors to outdoors I don't relish. Some call it 'cosy' - I call it 'stuffy' or 'trapping'!

• Like 1

Posted

Although snow is fun and all that - the whole needing to prepare to meet the outside world and the stark contrast from indoors to outdoors I don't relish.

That's the problem with you young 'uns these days - no bloody commitment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Ha not so youngun these days! Besides I've cycled daily to work for over 8 years now in all seasons and weathers. If that ain't commitment I don't know what is!

Posted

Last March was pretty rubbish at both my uni and home compared to what the CET said or other places got, no more than light flurries, and too much cloudy easterlies and dullness, and no unusually cold minima (although colder than Jan and Feb's min temp fail at home which was beaten by all other winter months I've recorded! including 06-07 and 07-08 winters). The only real good/snowy week of last winter was the one I was on a field trip in Spain, doh!

As for the thread topic can definitely tell the nights are drawing in now of course, but just shy of 25C and tonnes of butterflies the last few days, it's still summer here for now.

Guest William Grimsley

As for the thread topic can definitely tell the nights are drawing in now of course, but just shy of 25C and tonnes of butterflies the last few days, it's still summer here for now.

Yeah that's a good thing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Although snow is fun and all that - the whole needing to prepare to meet the outside world and the stark contrast from indoors to outdoors I don't relish. Some call it 'cosy' - I call it 'stuffy' or 'trapping'!

Yes that is a big hinderance about winter that i'm not looking forwards to. Preparing the car to go out to work in the morning and then negotiating the potentially icy roads. So different to now when i can just get in the car and have a hastle free journey to work.

And i dont even think snow is that fun so theres not that much to compensate for the added hazards of winter. Its not like i will go out and build a snowman on the front grass now like i would have done when i was younger. I am more likely to get the rake out the shed and break up the ice so it melts quicker and i get a green lawn back sooner.