Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Sun makes me lethargic, snappy and irritable. As for vitamin D, whaddy'a think margarine was invented for??

Don't eat margarine as it so processed and fat in an un-natural form so is bad for you. See: 

http://wellnessmama.com/2193/why-you-should-never-eat-vegetable-oil-or-margarine/

Substituting chemicals for natural sunlight? I think not!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Don't eat margarine as it so processed and fat in an un-natural form so is bad for you. See: 

http://wellnessmama.com/2193/why-you-should-never-eat-vegetable-oil-or-margarine/

That's what happy light's are for, I know a few people that use them during winter. I keep well away from them, unless wearing sunglasses as they tend to depress me...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifemax-Light-Portable-Simulated-Daylight/dp/B002MRS5OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377436772&sr=8-1&keywords=happy+light

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yeah I knew someone who had one - blinding thing it was! Not a fan myself but then luckily I face south in my office and we have big windows so I can charge up with any light we do get. Keeping it from blinding you however is quite an engineering operation involving cardboard, blue tak and occasional movements as the sun changes position...

Posted

It (vit D) is also abundant in mackerel and other oily fish - of which I scoff a lot of between curries!  And keep outta the sun - it causes cancer.

• Like 2

Posted

Most things in moderation are ok (like sunlight) although many should be avoided as yes they will cause potential problems like cancer. I know as the missus did a whole load of research into it and modified her diet accordingly. Processed stuff is the worst of course - ready meals, margarine, burgers, take aways and so forth. Home grown veg and cooked into good dinners being of course the best for you.

However unlike take-aways, sunlight is very beneficial in the right quantities - for health of the skin and feeling of well being (vampires/laserguy excepted!).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Most things in moderation are ok (like sunlight) although many should be avoided as yes they will cause potential problems like cancer. I know as the missus did a whole load of research into it and modified her diet accordingly. Processed stuff is the worst of course - ready meals, margarine, burgers, take aways and so forth. Home grown veg and cooked into good dinners being of course the best for you.

However unlike take-aways, sunlight is very beneficial in the right quantities - for health of the skin and feeling of well being (vampires/laserguy excepted!).

Depends what the ready meals contain though, one of the  popular misconceptions is that because a meal is frozen it is therefore harmful, it depends what it contains, freezing food is the most natural way to preserve food, if you freeze peas or carrots immediately after being picked they are actually more beneficial than leaving the raw materials on the shelf and eating them just before their sell by date, red meat of course contains cancer causing chemicals and processed meat of any colour is bad for you including ham, chicken and turkey but as long as you follow these rules then the only other thing you need to do is look how much saturated or trans fat and salt in each meal, you don't need to live on fresh food to lead a healthy lifestyle.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I feel sorry for those in Lerwick during December when the sun set's at 14:56 for just under a week and before 15:00 for 18 days

Lerwicks shortest day has 5h 49m and 09 seconds of day light

In Darlo we roughly get 7h 15m and 22 seconds of day light

But its the south west which does the best with just over 8 hours of day light from Truro west

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

I feel sorry for those in Lerwick during December when the sun set's at 14:56 for just under a week and before 15:00 for 18 days Lerwicks shortest day has 5h 49m and 09 seconds of day light In Darlo we roughly get 7h 15m and 22 seconds of day light But its the south west which does the best with just over 8 hours of day light from Truro west

Fairly depressing, although I have to say that I'd have a much bigger problem with the very short Shetland nights in midsummer, when the Sun rises at around half three in the morning. I could never sleep properly in those conditions.Its incredible how much the length of a day changes in this part of the world. Its easy to forget how far north we are, especially when we are milder than other places along our latitude!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Love long nights, much more atmospheric, relaxing and interesting for me. Nothing better than a walk out in the dark in the morning or evening, especially with a cool breeze. Playing football is easier, as you warm up without getting sweaty or dehydrated, and going out is generally better as during the night, everyone seems to be more active, bizarre as it sounds.

And then you have times where it's 6am and you wake up, and it's completely calm outside, frost on the grass, dark sky, and a silence bar a slight breeze. Nothing better (maybe a metre of snow actually!).

However, it's nice to chill with mates during long days; and when it's warm and sunny it's perfect to chill. I just feel less selfish and happier when I can sleep for more than 8 hours and it's still dark. Not wasting daylight that way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Considering it was a clear evening it really showed how much the nights have drawn in already tonight, twilight between 20:00-20:30 and dark by 21:00 here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Considering it was a clear evening it really showed how much the nights have drawn in already tonight, twilight between 20:00-20:30 and dark by 21:00 here.

Noticed exactly the same thing here. The difference from just a couple of weeks ago is fairly marked.

Posted

Love long nights, much more atmospheric, relaxing and interesting for me. Nothing better than a walk out in the dark in the morning or evening, especially with a cool breeze. Playing football is easier, as you warm up without getting sweaty or dehydrated, and going out is generally better as during the night, everyone seems to be more active, bizarre as it sounds.

And then you have times where it's 6am and you wake up, and it's completely calm outside, frost on the grass, dark sky, and a silence bar a slight breeze. Nothing better (maybe a metre of snow actually!).

However, it's nice to chill with mates during long days; and when it's warm and sunny it's perfect to chill. I just feel less selfish and happier when I can sleep for more than 8 hours and it's still dark. Not wasting daylight that way.

I'll agree there - summer you do feel like you should be out doing something if its light. Certainly winter excels at allowing guilt free doing bugger all for much more of the time... despite how trapping/unhealthy that can end up being!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I'll agree there - summer you do feel like you should be out doing something if its light. Certainly winter excels at allowing guilt free doing bugger all for much more of the time... despite how trapping/unhealthy that can end up being!

I guess, but I enjoy going out and running and that in winter as it's cooler and I can do more when I don't get dehydrated/sweaty. I live in a pretty good neighbourhood and there's a coffee shop down the road, which means I'll usually be out of the house much of the time regardless of the weather.

Posted

TBH I notice a different towards from mid January especially on clear days

December 10th 8:16 AM 3:39 PM 7h 23m 16s

January 20th 8:12 AM 4:20 PM 8h 07m 43s

January 31st 7:56 AM 4:42 PM 8h 46m 15s

true, you can notice a difference by mid jan, but joe public don't care about that it make no difference to them if it gets dark at 4pm in december or 5pm in January it's still early, its not until early march when spring arrives that people feel better about the longer days really, it's only us weather geeks that go on about the days getting shorter/longer by looking at the sunrise and sunset times all the time,

the same applies after the longest day in summer, we know the days are gradually getting shorter in july but it getting dark at 9 30pm in late july instead of 10pm like it does in june is hardly a big difference, its only recently it has become a big difference in the evening as it is now getting dark at about 8 30 here

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I personally cannot wait until the sun sets before 4, nipping off to the pub in the evening on a Friday night as the frost intensifies and the fog sets in! Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted

I personally cannot wait until the sun sets before 4, nipping off to the pub in the evening on a Friday night as the frost intensifies and the fog sets in! Posted Image

On the other hand, there's those folks who go straight from work into the raging cauldron of Friday night summertime nightlife or the horrors of a 28C beer garden. Makes you wonder what goes off in some folk's heads, it really does!

• Like 1

Posted

Gotta say the pub I often frequent on a Friday night of a summers eve is really not what I'd describe as a 'raging cauldron'... Nor is it 28c very often! However the beer garden is lovely (much nicer than inside the pub to be honest) and very much enjoyed in the brief summer months before we are once again confined to indoors again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

On the other hand, there's those folks who go straight from work into the raging cauldron of Friday night summertime nightlife or the horrors of a 28C beer garden. Makes you wonder what goes off in some folk's heads, it really does!

It's a way to lead a good social life. What could be worse than working all week then to spend the whole weekend on your own? Edited by Blizzards

Posted

you really are becoming a bit of a pain mate, everyone to their own, but you seem unable to let that be.

I am sure by now everyone that has dropped in here over the last couple of months has read your preferences, but it would be nice to simply let folks enjoy what they want to enjoy without making such a song and dance about you being different every time we log in here?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

you really are becoming a bit of a pain mate, everyone to their own, but you seem unable to let that be.I am sure by now everyone that has dropped in here over the last couple of months has read your preferences, but it would be nice to simply let folks enjoy what they want to enjoy without making such a song and dance about you being different every time we log in here?

Here here. Anything social or even slightly normal is deemed absurd apparently. We know laser guy that you hate the sun and warmth, but don't consider the rest of us abnormal. Let us live our way and we will accept your way!
  • Like 2

Posted

Oi - I've got every right and reason to moan, and if the tables were turned in my favour rather than that of you lot, the suicide rate would be about 85%.  Imagine if it rained for the hours of sun we get and that the damn sun shone for the actual hours of rain we actually get? Whether y'all think I'm a weirdo or not is irrelevant - I think you lot should be locked away but that's unlikely. Blizzards why do you equate not spending Friday night in the pub or lolling around in a crappy beer garden as 'being alone'? I don't get that bit at all. Wish I'd been on here June 2007 so's I could have had a good laugh at y'all moaning and wailing about that bit of rain we got to interrupt the sun. Jeez - some folk need to buy a helmet.  As for getting on folks wicks for my incessant moaning, how d'ya think I feel when all I'm confronted with is daft sun worship and glorification of all that's crap about summer - ie all of it? Ye I could avoid it but so could you if I upset you so much - and much as it winds y'all up I'm as entitled to moan about it or praise it as the case may be; we get what we get. Just hoping that next summer is a total washout - let's see who's moaning then.

• Like 3