Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I'll be losing an hour and 10 minutes of the day from now until I start school again in 2 weeks; from 0546/2031 to 0616/1953- I'll be waking up in the dark again; strangely nostalgic and also peed off at that!

I take it you have quite a way to travel to school with that early start then! Thankfully for most wake up times which is 7 for many, it should be the end of September before any darkness around waking up, maybe early October.

• Like 1

Posted

Oooo I'm actually quite excited for all that winter feeling this year, the last few years I've had to walk to and from school, town, shops etc in the freezing cold and wearing a stupid amount of heavy clothing, this year I will have a car by November and so as long as the cold holds off until then I should have a more pleasurable winter! I love snow, ice etc etc I just can't stand that horrible numbing cold in your extremities! I have sweaty hands and feet almost continually through genetics and that means unless my body is very cold then I will have a hot body and sweaty hands then exposed to a freezing air... not good!

This year I can go from a cosy, heat blanketed bed then into a nice and 20 minutes warmed up car with heated seats (going to buy some that plug into the lighter socket) and then into a nice and warm classroom.. That's the plan anyway haha 

I do love a change in weather and season though just as long as we don't get endless rain and mildness!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Oooo I'm actually quite excited for all that winter feeling this year, the last few years I've had to walk to and from school, town, shops etc in the freezing cold and wearing a stupid amount of heavy clothing, this year I will have a car by November and so as long as the cold holds off until then I should have a more pleasurable winter! I love snow, ice etc etc I just can't stand that horrible numbing cold in your extremities! I have sweaty hands and feet almost continually through genetics and that means unless my body is very cold then I will have a hot body and sweaty hands then exposed to a freezing air... not good!This year I can go from a cosy, heat blanketed bed then into a nice and 20 minutes warmed up car with heated seats (going to buy some that plug into the lighter socket) and then into a nice and warm classroom.. That's the plan anyway haha I do love a change in weather and season though just as long as we don't get endless rain and mildness!

I'm the complete opposite haha, it's the numbing cold and exposure to the elements that I love about Winter. Walking to school in sub zero temperatures and a stiff wind is amazing for me.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Surely liking winter but not liking the cold is a bit of an ironic situation... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Same here Laser.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Depending on what part of the UK you live in its just 3 months and 21 days till the days will start and get longer again the way the months fly by these days it will be here before you know it

The time the sun is setting in Darlo now is the same time as it sets in in mid April only in April its getting longer instead of shorter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Depending on what part of the UK you live in its just 3 months and 21 days till the days will start and get longer again the way the months fly by these days it will be here before you know it

The time the sun is setting in Darlo now is the same time as it sets in in mid April only in April its getting longer instead of shorter

Yep, I dont mind a bit of the extra darkness around Christmas to make the Lights have that extra effect. Other than that the darkness is just a nuisance and unhealthy in long bouts. Just think, by September 21st, we are half way there till things are on the upward trend again! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, I dont mind a bit of the extra darkness around Christmas to make the Lights have that extra effect. Other than that the darkness is just a nuisance and unhealthy in long bouts. Just think, by September 21st, we are half way there till things are on the upward trend again! Posted Image

Indeed hate the long dark nights but once mid December is here I know the end is very near and from mid January onwards the extra light quickly becomes noticeable especially on clear days

4 weeks to September 21st then another 12 weeks to the end is in sight

Posted

Indeed hate the long dark nights but once mid December is here I know the end is very near and from mid January onwards the extra light quickly becomes noticeable especially on clear days4 weeks to September 21st then another 12 weeks to the end is in sight

You say 12 weeks until the end is in sight, which is technically correct but in reality you don't notice it until mid February onwards. It gradually increases then picks up pace after Imbolc. Between Samhain and Imbolc, is the darkest 90 or so days in the seasonal cycle. Infact, it is not until after the first week of March that the sun finally sets after 6pm for Manchester. Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Unhealthy addiction with the cold and dark now; had a coffee today and then had a walk outside in the pouring rain as the sun set. Nothing better than a jog in the dark and rain.

5:59am sunrise tomorrow, it's getting there...!

• Like 5

Posted

lol "these days" hasn't the calendar always been the same? the time don't go faster now than it did in 1950 you know

when it's september the 1st will you say it's only 6 months till the first day of spring?

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted

At least in Southern Cornwall over the Winter I will get some of the longest daylight hours in the country! :D  However its still rather insignificant as the days are still pretty short. Dread to think how depressing it is in the Shetland Isles at that time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

At least in Southern Cornwall over the Winter I will get some of the longest daylight hours in the country! Posted Image  However its still rather insignificant as the days are still pretty short. Dread to think how depressing it is in the Shetland Isles at that time!

16.17 sunset in Truro, 15.54 sunset here, 14.56 in Lerwick (coupled with a 09.06 sunrise!)

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

lol "these days" hasn't the calendar always been the same? the time don't go faster now than it did in 1950 you know

when it's september the 1st will you say it's only 6 months till the first day of spring?

In January he will probably say 'it will be summer 2015 before you know it'!

Surely liking winter but not liking the cold is a bit of an ironic situation... 

No, not at all. People like summer but not necessarily heat, or even extended warmth. Some people like summer in the Shetlands.. some like winter in Miami.

• Like 1

Posted

16.17 sunset in Truro, 15.54 sunset here, 14.56 in Lerwick (coupled with a 09.06 sunrise!)

Ouch for Lerwick there. They certainly do get both ends of the spectrum though very well!

Posted

It's a phenomenon associated with getting old -  'time' seems infinite to a child but advancing years and the increasing awareness of one's own mortality soon put an end to that notion....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

At least in Southern Cornwall over the Winter I will get some of the longest daylight hours in the country! :D However its still rather insignificant as the days are still pretty short. Dread to think how depressing it is in the Shetland Isles at that time!

Depressing?! I think I've had enough photons for now. Roll on October!
  • Like 3

Posted

You say 12 weeks until the end is in sight, which is technically correct but in reality you don't notice it until mid February onwards. It gradually increases then picks up pace after Imbolc. Between Samhain and Imbolc, is the darkest 90 or so days in the seasonal cycle. Infact, it is not until after the first week of March that the sun finally sets after 6pm for Manchester.

TBH I notice a different towards from mid January especially on clear days

December 10th 8:16 AM 3:39 PM 7h 23m 16s

January 20th 8:12 AM 4:20 PM 8h 07m 43s

January 31st 7:56 AM 4:42 PM 8h 46m 15s

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Depressing?!I think I've had enough photons for now. Roll on October!

I will say one thing - after a decent summer such as this one where the sun has been a very frequent visitor to the sky it is a damn sight easier going into autumn/winter than it is after say last summer. We can go into this autumn fully charged with vitamin D and solar 'power' making the season an interesting contrast rather than an "oh god I'm already low on fuel how the heck will I be by January?" type feeling...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Yesterday, at 14h20, the day length was double the shortest day, December 21, at 7h11.

The day length here, and in brackets the amount of days to lose an hour of day

sub 14h: August 29

sub 13h: September 12 (14d)

sub 12h: September 25 (13d)

sub 11h: October 9 (14d)

sub 10h: October 23 (14d)

sub 9h: November 6 (14d)

sub 8h: November 23 (17d)

Starting to lose over 4 minutes every day now, first sub 8pm sunset on September 1, and first post 6am sunrise tomorrow.

Posted

The lower angle of the sun is very noticeable now for sure. Certainly at home where we struggle with light availability anyway!

Posted

I've had the lights out on the push bikethis week, for the commute, also wearing my hi viz stuff. At 0530 it's still dark.

Posted

We can go into this autumn fully charged with vitamin D and solar 'power' making the season an interesting contrast rather than an "oh god I'm already low on fuel how the heck will I be by January?" type feeling...

Sun makes me lethargic, snappy and irritable. As for vitamin D, whaddy'a think margarine was invented for??

• Like 1