Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

If we get a decent sunny/clear period over the next couple of weeks, look to your western horizon and watch the position where the sun sets change as each day goes by. It will be notable.

From an upstairs window here ,on the 21 June the sun sets between a natural 'V' feature on the horizon - dead in the middle. For a couple of weeks it seems to set in exactly the same spot,but once it starts to move, it moves. I dunno about you guys but I never cease to be amazed/mindboggled/awestruck etc at the precision and regularity of these inconceivably huge celestial bodies in relation to each other as they move through time and space.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

A continental switch from summer to winter is what I need really. The in between is what I dislike in autumn which to me is the worst of all worlds.

Warm sunshine to powder snow in a nutshell, Its never going to happen in this country thoughPosted ImagePosted Image On that basis the sort of autumn that the records show 1978 was like would be most ideal to make the best of a bad situation. Kind of like an extension of summer..and then when the grungy dark days really arrive...wham! straight into wintry loveliness like December 1978Posted Image

Spring is fine though working the other way with the evenings drawing out, the long days and evenings to look forward to,  and yet still the possibility of getting spectacularly good wintry weather like March this yearPosted Image  Its autumn that is easily the worst season..getting darker, damper and yet too early and not cold enough for snowPosted Image

So if we could head straight from September into December and January that would suit me finePosted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We came close this year Tamara - from powdery drifting snow in March to very warm and sunny in July - that is as closes to continental as I think we'll get here.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

We came close this year Tamara - from powdery drifting snow in March to very warm and sunny in July - that is as closes to continental as I think we'll get here.

Yep, I've no complaints at all about 2013 so far *she crosses fingers for the rest of the year*Posted Image

Posted

Close to the Disley tops road near me there's a standing stone that must be at least pre-bronze age if not during. Whoever put it there had the foresight in knowing that during winter solstice the sun rises above the peak of Eccles Pike, and during the summer it rises above Chinley Churn with the equinox's inbetween a dip in the valley overlooking Rushup Edge.

From this alone it's usually a nice walk up to the standing stone and watching the sun's progress ebb and flow during the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

A continental switch from summer to winter is what I need really. The in between is what I dislike in autumn which to me is the worst of all worlds.

Warm sunshine to powder snow in a nutshell, Its never going to happen in this country thoughPosted ImagePosted Image On that basis the sort of autumn that the records show 1978 was like would be most ideal to make the best of a bad situation. Kind of like an extension of summer..and then when the grungy dark days really arrive...wham! straight into wintry loveliness like December 1978Posted Image

Spring is fine though working the other way with the evenings drawing out, the long days and evenings to look forward to,  and yet still the possibility of getting spectacularly good wintry weather like March this yearPosted Image  Its autumn that is easily the worst season..getting darker, damper and yet too early and not cold enough for snowPosted Image

So if we could head straight from September into December and January that would suit me finePosted Image

Ah 1978 Tamara, yes that was some rapid change weather-wise. Here are the synoptics that were the catalyst for finally ending what seemed like weeks of Bartlett-type highs, just to our south. Cold front plunging down from the NW on the 25th Nov and introducing a short arctic blast, I can still remember my excitement at the first graupel shower, I experienced in Bromley, that late Autumn/Winter. Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, although the nights are starting to draw in now, still seems a long drag before we get to anything wintry and as things stand, not that hopeful for a notable winter, re. cold and snow. But that's for another day and another thread!

Tom.

Edited by TomBR7
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

maybe we will get some early snow in October,not sure when the last time that happened,i remember some in the 90s.Have we ever had snow in September apart from Scotland??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Nooo, not wanting to see the summer over yet, still have stuff to do that need the sun and light and warmth.

Posted

Nooo, not wanting to see the summer over yet, still have stuff to do that need the sun and light and warmth.

Well lucky for you, September is pretty much identical to June bar the shorter days.

Posted

Well lucky for you, September is pretty much identical to June bar the shorter days.

Hope so, I quite enjoy my Autumn walks round the local nature reserves and parks as well.

Posted

maybe we will get some early snow in October,not sure when the last time that happened,i remember some in the 90s.Have we ever had snow in September apart from Scotland??

Dunno but funnily enough I had this ultra-vivid dream last night of being caught out in this incredible blizzard. Don't know how I knew, but it was most certainly September- woke up with that detail prominent in my recall. Looked out the window and the blinding sun for what seems like the millionth morning in a row shattered my dreams and brought me back to earth with the most shuddering,sickening bump.  Did I ever tell ya I hate summer?

Posted

I've had dreams of September snow before - waking up disappointed. It'll happen one day.. one day..

Posted

I've had dreams of September snow before - waking up disappointed. It'll happen one day.. one day..

Ha - I usually wake up disappointed after dreaming of Jan/Feb/March snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Sounds like me in Feb dreaming of the first bit of warmth after so long... and still I have to wait on waking up...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

The Thames reputedly froze in September 1816.

This also: "1918-20 saw deep snow in London twice, one fall being 9 inches. Scotland also recorded large falls, as did the Midlands and North of England. September saw snow in Dartmoor! A snowy period."

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-history;sess=

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with fog and a good layer of snow.

so much talk of snow already, hoping for cold Autumn to start of an impressive winter? Posted Image  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I do remember September 1986 there hasn't been a colder one since,there were plenty of frosty mornings but becoming nice and sunny

Posted

Re the sunburn posts: I got sunburnt walking over the Stiperstones in late March 2012, but then I do get it very easily. Not much chance this month so far though...

September has beem sunnier tham August at least 3 times in the last 7 years.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted

Newsflash! it is still summer Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Lovely charts for next week for the sane, majority aka Summer fans. Lots of useable weather, sunny if the charts dont change much with the High over us or to the East, warm and warm evenings too. Sorry Winter fans, your ride is about to get bumpy. :lol:

• Like 2

Posted

All this talk of summer is over, not yet!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I hope the sun and warmth lasts until mid October, it can then be blazed away by the mother of all northerlies

I'm not asking for much really Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

20:53 and its dark outside...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted

The Thames reputedly froze in September 1816.

This also: "1918-20 saw deep snow in London twice, one fall being 9 inches. Scotland also recorded large falls, as did the Midlands and North of England. September saw snow in Dartmoor! A snowy period."

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-history;sess=

No way has the Thames frozen in September.