Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Having worked outside for 5 years and spent my first summer working in an air cond office this year, I still prefer the autumn and winter months-, as I have a medical condition which means I get basically reversed "SADS"- the summer months can lead me to be very depressed- nothing I can do about it- been confirmed by numerous medical people and I just live with it and numerous anti depressants during the summer. I've never taken more than a week off work with this since my prognosis back in 2004. 

Oddly, come early September it starts to ease down and by November I'm right as rain. Then normally after April (this year it was May when I cracked) it's back- and the mood depressions start in earnest.

Even in the longest days I'm wishing to be in bed by about 8pm. But winter's a different story- happy to be out and about till very late in the evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I work outside all year round, was out working in -20c in 09/10 winter and thoroughly enjoyed it, 

• Like 2

Posted

If anything Jan 10 and Dec 10 over here simply increased my appetite for extreme cold. There's nothing better than sub-zero all day but clear skies with snow lying on the ground. .

I found that during December 2010, I became acclimatised to the cold. I remember having a walk on Christmas Eve under beautiful clear blue skies and snow on ground and whilst thermometer was sub zero, it didn't feel cold oddly. I like the long shadows of December if it is sunny.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I found that during December 2010, I became acclimatised to the cold. I remember having a walk on Christmas Eve under beautiful clear blue skies and snow on ground and whilst thermometer was sub zero, it didn't feel cold oddly.I like the long shadows of December if it is sunny.

Winter sun can be great, makes for some great pics if caught right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Just don't drive/cycle towards it....

Posted

I work outside all year round, was out working in -20c in 09/10 winter and thoroughly enjoyed it,

I work outside and enjoy the cold. Jan 2010 (particularly 7th/8th) was unique for its "deep cold" feeling even during daylight, around these dates nearby Woodford was still at about -10C at midday. If you dress accordingly it's not really an issue.

Posted

Just don't drive/cycle towards it....

sometimes you have to (I do)

YAY!  the light!

that will kill me one day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

A nice cup of tea at break in the van after being out in -10 is just an unbeatable feeling!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I like my extreme cold and snow every bit as much as you coldies,I spent all my life up to 32 working on a farm at 365m,then the last 13 years as a builder.Where we differ is the long periods which are not wintery the wind and rain and the non wintery cold but most of all I actually look forward to summer as well!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I will never be convinced that there are any advantages to the darker evenings and i cant see myself ever getting pleasure from seeing the sun set whilst i'm still at work, and i will always breathe a sigh of relief in that day in mid December when the look north forecast shows sunset at 15:39 instead of 15:38. I sometimes wish i could see the upsides to winter so it could be an easier season to cope with but i'm struggling. The short daytime hours i find restrictive in the way they confine you to the indoors, thus removing the choice that you get on a midsummers evening.

I actually do find the early sunsets appropriate for my general dislike of the winter season though. I would hate for there to be increased light in the evening in December only for it to be wasted on dull raw mucky days where venturing outside is more a chore than a pleasure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

that's was for 2 or 3weeks at a time at best..you try dealing with 6 months worth..and it is not clear blue skies day after day..you get those horrible dull very cold mid winter days that can last a week or more at a time..only compensation is that it never rains during the winter.

Well i had 25 days of snow on the ground then and 30 in Dec 09/Jan 10, maybe not in the same league but i loved it.

I found that during December 2010, I became acclimatised to the cold. I remember having a walk on Christmas Eve under beautiful clear blue skies and snow on ground and whilst thermometer was sub zero, it didn't feel cold oddly.I like the long shadows of December if it is sunny.

Possibly. I've always coped with cold much better than warmth but assumed that was due to being born in Scotland (genes being activated and all that).

Posted

I guess you havnt spent the last 27 years working outside ,probably pushing a pen in a nice warm office.

Lol! Actually I am mechanic and a recovery operator. I work either in a workshop that acts like a fridge or under a car or truck at the roadside. Been doing it for roughly 12 years. Don't see why you saw the need to be snarky though, I only expressed my opinion??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

That's true anytime the sun is low in the sky.

Although in winter that's 0815 to 1540 (i.e. all daylight hours) but in summer something like 0430-0600 and 2000-2130 so is more apparent in the winter half of the year.

Posted

that's was for 2 or 3weeks at a time at best..you try dealing with 6 months worth..and it is not clear blue skies day after day..you get those horrible dull very cold mid winter days that can last a week or more at a time..only compensation is that it never rains during the winter.

I'm still enduring this infernal summer and I'd had enough of it before it even started. The longest,coldest winters are but tantalising teasers for me and leave me hankering for more. Maybe some of us are simply not suited to the country we live in but are trapped for some reason or another.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Already have - in a much duller winter climate than Calgary. Didn't tire of it. I don't think I could ever tire of snow unless it absolutely dominated the year with no relief. To me, winters are supposed to be cold and snowy, otherwise, winter does not exist.

Besides, you can say the same thing for hot summers.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I will never be convinced that there are any advantages to the darker evenings

Well, thank goodness we don't have to convince you.. lol. Each to their own. As I said, equal daylight would be incredibly dull from my POV.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

One thing I noticed the other night was just how many more stars are visible now than in June. Even with the streetlights turned off at midnight it's difficult to see naked-eye down to 4th magnitude near the solstice, now I can get down to 5th. And the Milky Way through Cygnus is much clearer, with the dark rift easily seen.

I find it very difficult to make out the Milky Way in my location, although binoculars easily resolve it in the Summer Triangle. I saw it perfectly in Australia, where the Galactic Centre in Sagittarius passes overhead. It's so bright and you can make out the central bulge, making it easy to visualise the shape of the galaxy. The Milky Way is also very bright in the southern sky (Norma, Crux, Carina). If you haven't seen the southern sky, you really need to.

Maybe it was because I'd spent some time abroad, but when I came back to Britain in May I immediately noticed how hard it was to get good viewing conditions at night thanks to the lingering twilight. It's something I'd never really thought about before.

Posted

A better start to the day with bright sunshine and it has instilled a much better frame of mind in this poster! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Lovely evening last night with a warm feel & no wind, could keep the windows wide open & not have to worry about the curtains & blind being blown around.

This morning is still wind free with a lovely fresh feel to it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Got down to 8.7c last night.

The first thing I did was go on to my decking and it felt fantastic! I could see my breath, with dew on most things.

Lovely start to the day :)

Posted

It's sunny and warming up fast I'll give you that... Need to loose this night chill however - far too early.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Hasnt been below 12c at my location since early July,longing to see the cooler nights. Only got down to 14c here last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

lol why are people complaining that during august things are starting to cool down? we're lucky to have seen the sun (if you like lots of sun) and not endless rain in the summer months.

Posted

It's sunny and warming up fast I'll give you that... Need to loose this night chill however - far too early.

Hasnt been below 12c at my location since early July,longing to see the cooler nights. Only got down to 14c here last night.

lol why are people complaining that during august things are starting to cool down? we're lucky to have seen the sun (if you like lots of sun) and not endless rain in the summer months.

It is obviously a locale thing, as some areas have been warmer at night, some cooler yes.  I am thankful for the slightly cooler nights TBH, made sleeping a lot easier, soon warms up in the day.

Temps IMHO overall are seasonal avg or even slightly above, so days getting shorter (or the nights longer, glass half full and all that) aside I feel all is still well weather wise and light wise at the moment, still got a few weeks of "good" light remaining yet.