Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Has any one else noticed that the nights are drawing in? Last night was really the first time I've noticed it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Its more noticeable on dull nights on clear nights its still light-ish here till getting on for 22:00

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Sun sets  20:50...Tonight...Tomorrow it sets 3m.15 seconds earlier....Maybe clear tonight to get scope out .ISS is around at night again.. No moon''''''ing...

Posted

the change is still most marked for dawn but it is starting to be noticeable

dawn change from 0435 to 0527 this morning

evening from 2137 to 2053

last Thursday I was still walking in the last of the sunshine to the pub, this week it may have gone below the horizon just before I reach it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow, atlantic storms, hot sun and thunderstorms

Noticed it working on the car last week, couldn't understand why I couldn't see what I was doing properly underneath the car when it was only 9pm, then realised sun had dipped below the hills behind us.

Still must only be a few weeks now before the snow and ice in the N hemisphere post is resurrected by Chiono!

M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Sadly so yes.... I've noticed it too as we're having to put a lamp on from 2030 now instead of after 2100. It was even earlier in last nights dull weather.

The vice begins its slow but steady tightening...

Posted

Or as Paddy says, 'Ah to be sure, it's getting later earlier these days.'

I like that-a lovely Irish expression

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Only really noticed it when it has been a bit duller/cloudy.

Noticed it more in the morning that the evening too.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Noticed it?? I've been studying my latitudinal sunset and sunrise table since June 21st and note with great satisfaction that today the sun rises 51 minutes later and sets 44 minutes earlier than it did on the solstice.

I welcome the increasing darkness like an old friend and look forward to an Autumn of gales, rain and fog.

I'm with you on that TM, Could not come soon enough...! The last 24hrs have felt very Autumnal, and the night's noticeably drawing in now, Not long till Winter Posted Image 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 7

Posted

Noticed it?? I've been studying my latitudinal sunset and sunrise table since June 21st and note with great satisfaction that today the sun rises 51 minutes later and sets 44 minutes earlier than it did on the solstice.I welcome the increasing darkness like an old friend and look forward to an Autumn of gales, rain and fog.

Ha - you and me both! Still a far cry from the wonderful midwinter period when it's dark at 1630 but the sheer hideousness of it still being broad daylight at 2200 is a distant memory. 6am is a significant marker for me - I either start work or finish at that time,and I can tell you that the 12th August is the first date when the sun's disc hasn't broached the horizon at that time. Wonderful to walk out after doing nights and for the first time in eternity not to have the damn sun frazzling my retinas. That's when summer is over for me, and that's the real reason why the 12th is glorious.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I always start to notice the nights drawing in here in the last week of July. The second half of August is when it gets really noticable.

Ive always been more of an Autumn /winter person,always prefered the dark nights to the long evenings of summer. So looking forward to another Autumn/winter season as always.

• Like 3

Posted

The mornings are getting noticeably darker too. Noticed the street lamps still on after 5am this morning here

Posted

The mornings are getting noticeably darker too. Noticed the street lamps still on after 5am this morning here

Thought that particularly this morning, even though there was a nice bright sunrise eventually.

Posted

Longer nights do not bother me that much, there are times when it is nice to be out in the light when something needs doing, I admit.  Then I currently have very little outside to do unless I am walking in the park etc.

The extended use of lights is a drain on the ole pocket though.

I am just happy to still be here and able to witness another year of passing seasons.

(also why I have been out snapping 100's of pictures on the camera all year, so I can then sit indoors when it is cold and dark with my art stuff and just paint and draw).

Posted

I'm getting the lights out for the bike also, a new hi viz bag has been bought for the commute.

Posted

I'm getting the lights out for the bike also, a new hi viz bag has been bought for the commute.

I spent nigh on 20 years cycling most places till I got a car, so know what you mean about prepping at this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Police were giving out free hi-viz gear on the cycle commuter route one morning last November - very handy!

Cycling in winter is a lot harder work than summer that's for sure. You have to keep lights charged (either replacing expensive batteries or remembering to charge 'em like mine), switch 'em on/off as well as put on/off your hi-viz jacket every time. The hi-viz bag is loads smaller than my normal one so taking things to/from work is a pain Nov-Feb. 

Also the bike requires more maintenance as it is exposed to poorer road conditions (salt/rain/low temps) but it is right at the time of year you least want to fanny around with bikes out in the cold when you can't see! This time of year it is just a quick check & oil when you get in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

As I get up for work at 5am most mornings- the last week or so it's been very noticeable that I'm having to come down and put the light on in the lounge for the first hour or so.

Haven't spotted the evenings quite as much yet mind.

Posted

Depressing thread on a pretty depressing forum.

Only if you like sun and heat!

Some of us like it colder and darker..........it takes all sorts!

Personally, I can't stand hot weather and it makes me snarl (!) when I see posts in the model output discussion thread celebrating and cheering when another horrible hot sweaty spell is coming up!

But, yes, I have noticed with pleasure how the nights are drawing in. Haven't seen any change in the mornings yet, although I get up for work at 6o'clock.

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

As I get up for work at 5am most mornings- the last week or so it's been very noticeable that I'm having to come down and put the light on in the lounge for the first hour or so.

Same here, in the last week I have found I need the lights on now (early starts also).

Posted

The other way round from me, then. Jolly nice to know that it's darker at 5am though, it'll soon be dark for me at 6am.....something to look forward to!Posted Image