Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

It was also on the BBC News Phone App front page this morning, at least!

No need to rub it in :p :p
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

That'll be this year's excitement then!  Snow forcing abandonment of cars on the M11 makes the news occasionally, and there was that blizzard in 2001 when the 20 minute school run took five hours, but we really don't get many extremes.

Were you stuck in that 2001 blizzard Twiglet! Was it the thunder snow blizzard that only lasted two hours, but dumped 5 inches of snow and was accompanied by gale force Northerly winds?

Posted

Evening all.

A light rain starting here in Medway now.  The tent that was in the garden for the kids has been taken down and stowed in the shed - just in case.

Posted

Evening all.

A light rain starting here in Medway now.  The tent that was in the garden for the kids has been taken down and stowed in the shed - just in case.

Next door have put up a marquee thing in the garden, for a wedding celebration later today! Will it still be there by the afternoon I wonder?

Posted

Next door have put up a marquee thing in the garden, for a wedding celebration later today! Will it still be there by the afternoon I wonder?

I would like to think that it would, purely because I would hate to see a wedding upset, however, Mother Nature and Bertha remnants may have other ideas. Really I know which I would put my money on!

• Like 1

Posted

I would like to think that it would, purely because I would hate to see a wedding upset, however, Mother Nature and Bertha remnants may have other ideas. Really I know which I would put my money on!

Looks a bit flimsy to me! lol It may hold or it may end up in my garden! :unknw: Wonder if there will be any cake with it?

Edited by lassie23

Posted

Were you stuck in that 2001 blizzard Twiglet! Was it the thunder snow blizzard that only lasted two hours, but dumped 5 inches of snow and was accompanied by gale force Northerly winds?

No, my mistake, it was 30 January 2003, not 2001.  The blizzard meant drifting snow had stopped all cars from getting up the long incline towards home.  Only the 4WDs could make it, and by then the depth of snow between the tyre tracks meant it was impossible to turn round in a normal car, even if we weren't bumper to bumper.  Eventually some guys who lived the other side of the hill came with shovels and dug out every car that still had its occupants, a lot of cars were abandoned for the night as the nearest pub put people up.  I had a Volvo estate then, now I drive a Discovery and the worst snow I've had to get out of was on my drive!

• Like 1

Posted

So, Lassie, do you have a mission to reply to every single post on here? :p

Yes and stop tempting me with more post! :laugh: 16.5c here, heavy rain has started!

No, my mistake, it was 30 January 2003, not 2001.  The blizzard meant drifting snow had stopped all cars from getting up the long incline towards home.  Only the 4WDs could make it, and by then the depth of snow between the tyre tracks meant it was impossible to turn round in a normal car, even if we weren't bumper to bumper.  Eventually some guys who lived the other side of the hill came with shovels and dug out every car that still had its occupants, a lot of cars were abandoned for the night as the nearest pub put people up.  I had a Volvo estate then, now I drive a Discovery and the worst snow I've had to get out of was on my drive!

Thanyou for the reply Twiglet, it wasn't the blizzard i was thinking of!

• Like 2

Posted

I'm at work at the moment. Finish at 07:30... rain has indeed started. ... and i haven't taken the gazebo down in my garden yet ... oops!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm at work at the moment. Finish at 07:30... rain has indeed started. ... and i haven't taken the gazebo down in my garden yet ... oops!

Sorry to reply to your post too! :laugh: Working until 7.30 :shok: Will you be going home in the height of the storm then?

• Like 2

Posted

It's okay Lassie, I'll forgive you for replying to another :p

Oops did it again! :laugh: In my defence I have been on the vino and it makes me chatty! Rain, 16.2c

• Like 2

Posted

Sorry to reply to your post too! :laugh: Working until 7.30 :shok: Will you be going home in the height of the storm then?

Well... the rain does seem to have arrived early ... not windy here at the mo tho.
  • Like 1

Posted

Well... the rain does seem to have arrived early ... not windy here at the mo tho.

Pretty calm here too at the moment! Still warm out! The rain has stopped! :shok:  16c!

Posted

I live about 6 miles west of the M11 junction 12, and work another 5 miles further west.  We had very heavy rain on Friday afternoon but no flooding - the warehouse roof leaked where it always leaks, but nothing significant.  The dark clouds did indeed look briefly as though they were beginning to form a tornado but it dissipated quickly.  BBC Radio Cambridgeshire's reporter in March described their downpour as 'of biblical proportions' as a section of riverbank collapsed, followed by closure of the Tesco store as water was running down the aisles, and the loss of power to 1000 properties. My daughter's friend was here earlier, she works in Royston and lives in Bar Hill.  Her house backs onto the Tesco car park, the library and primary school.  Her 19 mile journey home took her three hours - she had heard the M11 / A14 was backing up and she diverted through the villages north of here, but was then forced to abandon her car, roll her trousers up and walk home.

Hiya I live in Bar Hill and it was every bit as bad as you describe. It's hard to explain but the village is basically like an island and to get out there is a roundabout at Tesco which takes you to the A14. One side of the roundabout was completely flooded with about 3ft of water. People then started queuing the other way to get out so there was a snaking line of traffic all the way around the village. My boyfriend has been here 10 years and he's never seen anything like it. It was a very weird atmosphere when we went out about 8pm for a walk to have a nose. Cars were just abandoned all over the place, people who work here were just walking around stranded and then you had the people who live near the Brook who had sadly had their houses flooded. It took me 3 hours to get home by bus from work in Cambridge City it's usually takes 45 minutes!It was on sky and BBC news Friday evening but just a passing mention. All water has virtually gone now so fingers crossed we won't be hit again today!
  • Like 1

Posted
Ear plugs and eye mask? Hopefully you won't get anything.It is so calm here (in eastern London). I am looking forward to a storm, but here at my parents, my mum is scared of them like you. Edited by nicol@

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Morning, my daughter literally just arrived home from majorca and had a very bumpy flight back, all seems very quiet here atm no wind no rain is this as they say "the calm before the storm"

Posted

def a  hook forming behind Bertha looking at my rain alarm,looking like Cornwall should look out  first she  now over  London  with  some very heavy rain forming heading south  and there looking like a sting  forming  behind

Posted

http://www.flightradar24.com/TCX6456/408af6a%C2'> any reason why Gatwick are stacking over the south coast looking at the radar  their some nasty looking weather in the  gatwick area  at the  moment