Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

I never quite understand questions like this when the information is so freely available, and with recent updates

.http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

BB54, have you become bitter in some way? It would be a shame if you are unable to spend less time sniping rather than enjoying the craic. 

So, big hugy tail thing will arrive here in about 7 hours. 16.5C, still, dark.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

dark and dry here.

Posted

Winter that was far fetched I must admit, looked outside and I can see a spotlight going directly up into the heavens? Is this to commemorate the start of WW1? It is quite a scene. Really mild night, I miss the cool nights. Rain fest is on its way... Flooding may hit the headlines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

BB54, have you become bitter in some way? It would be a shame if you are unable to spend less time sniping rather than enjoying the craic. 

So, big hugy tail thing will arrive here in about 7 hours. 16.5C, still, dark.

I take it you are talking about Bertha  and you haven't just ordered a new family pet? :unknw:The big huggey tail thing looks like it will give London  some more much needed rain, could do without the wind though! Hopefully it won't be anything like the storms we saw last winter!

Winter that was far fetched I must admit, looked outside and I can see a spotlight going directly up into the heavens? Is this to commemorate the start of WW1? It is quite a scene. Really mild night, I miss the cool nights. Rain fest is on its way... Flooding may hit the headlines.

I can see the spot light too!

• Like 4

Posted

I take it you are talking about Bertha  and you haven't just ordered a new family pet? :unknw:The big huggey tail thing looks like it will give London  some more much needed rain, could do without the wind though! Hopefully it won't be anything like the storms we saw last winter!

I can see the spot light too!

Two retrievers already. Had a good downpour overnight..an inch or more judging by the bucket outside. Tail will miss us judging by the radar. You'll be getting your garden watered I' guess

• Like 1

Posted

By inference, does the "huggey tail thing" mean that there might be a dry intrusion between it and the rest of the low? Not good, if it does, as it could presage a sting jet.

I can see the spotlight, too, but as I'm between Lassie and it, that's not actually that surprising.

Today was interesting, especially when the bus's exaust fell off, thankfully after we'd dropped the customers off.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Yes to the ww1 spotlight. It will be there I think til Monday . Quite a emotional sight I bet. All quiet here. Am looking forward to the garden getting a decent water. Wish I'd mowed the front lawn. Oh well c'est la vie. :)
  • Like 1

Posted

By inference, does the "huggey tail thing" mean that there might be a dry intrusion between it and the rest of the low? Not good, if it does, as it could presage a sting jet.

I can see the spotlight, too, but as I'm between Lassie and it, that's not actually that surprising.

Today was interesting, especially when the bus's exaust fell off, thankfully after we'd dropped the customers off.

Exhaust fell off! :shok:

Yes to the ww1 spotlight. It will be there I think til Monday . Quite a emotional sight I bet. All quiet here. Am looking forward to the garden getting a decent water. Wish I'd mowed the front lawn. Oh well c'est la vie. :)

My lawn has stopped growing because of the sun and heat.........awwwww bliss!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Rain is a coming.

Posted

Short sharp shower here. Seemed to arrive our of nowhere on the radar. Bertha looks like taking a NNE direction...Portsmouth  to W London?

Posted

I live about 6 miles west of the M11 junction 12, and work another 5 miles further west.  We had very heavy rain on Friday afternoon but no flooding - the warehouse roof leaked where it always leaks, but nothing significant.  The dark clouds did indeed look briefly as though they were beginning to form a tornado but it dissipated quickly.  BBC Radio Cambridgeshire's reporter in March described their downpour as 'of biblical proportions' as a section of riverbank collapsed, followed by closure of the Tesco store as water was running down the aisles, and the loss of power to 1000 properties.

My daughter's friend was here earlier, she works in Royston and lives in Bar Hill.  Her house backs onto the Tesco car park, the library and primary school.  Her 19 mile journey home took her three hours - she had heard the M11 / A14 was backing up and she diverted through the villages north of here, but was then forced to abandon her car, roll her trousers up and walk home.

The Tesco store at Bar Hill has recently been revamped.  Part of the roof collapsed.  The car park was flooded such that normal cars could not drive out.  Some houses on the low-lying part of the development have been flooded.  It's fortunate that the school was closed and the area was spared school-run traffic trying to pick the kids up, but the school no longer has a caretaker so it took some time for the extent of its flooding to be assessed.  Less fortunate are the families away on holiday who were not able to protect their homes.  The local news said 38mm of rain fell in the hour between 16.00 and 17.00.

It's dry and still here and 22.8° at the moment, after a glorious day with a refreshing breeze early afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted

I live about 6 miles west of the M11 junction 12, and work another 5 miles further west.  We had very heavy rain on Friday afternoon but no flooding - the warehouse roof leaked where it always leaks, but nothing significant.  The dark clouds did indeed look briefly as though they were beginning to form a tornado but it dissipated quickly.  BBC Radio Cambridgeshire's reporter in March described their downpour as 'of biblical proportions' as a section of riverbank collapsed, followed by closure of the Tesco store as water was running down the aisles, and the loss of power to 1000 properties.

My daughter's friend was here earlier, she works in Royston and lives in Bar Hill.  Her house backs onto the Tesco car park, the library and primary school.  Her 19 mile journey home took her three hours - she had heard the M11 / A14 was backing up and she diverted through the villages north of here, but was then forced to abandon her car, roll her trousers up and walk home.

The Tesco store at Bar Hill has recently been revamped.  Part of the roof collapsed.  The car park was flooded such that normal cars could not drive out.  Some houses on the low-lying part of the development have been flooded.  It's fortunate that the school was closed and the area was spared school-run traffic trying to pick the kids up, but the school no longer has a caretaker so it took some time for the extent of its flooding to be assessed.  Less fortunate are the families away on holiday who were not able to protect their homes.  The local news said 38mm of rain fell in the hour between 16.00 and 17.00.

It's dry and still here and 22.8° at the moment, after a glorious day with a refreshing breeze early afternoon.

Wow! :shok:  :shok:  :shok:  Pretty shocked reading your post, at how servere conditions were in some places!

• Like 2

Posted

Wow! :shok:  :shok:  :shok:  Pretty shocked reading your post, at how servere conditions were in some places!

Same here, there was never any real mention of conditions like this on the news, unless I missed it?
  • Like 1

Posted

Same here, there was never any real mention of conditions like this on the news, unless I missed it?

I was going to ask whether it made the news or not, as I didn't see any news yesterday! So it sounds like it didn't! Thanks ihatecoldweather!

Posted

I was going to ask whether it made the news or not, as I didn't see any news yesterday! So it sounds like it didn't! Thanks ihatecoldweather!

Thats a big mistake you've just made, I wouldn't recommend anyone listening to me :D
  • Like 1

Posted
Posted

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/MORE-FLOODING-PICTURES-Tesco-at-Bar-Hill-reopens-following-roof-collapse-as-images-of-floods-in-Histon-and-Oakington-emerge-and-more-storms-forecast-20140809102135.htm

Oakington is the other side of the A14 from the development at Bar Hill.

BBC Radio Cambridgeshire and the Cambridge Evening News covered it in detail.

BBC Radio 2 mentioned the clean-up operation in Cambridgeshire on its news at lunchtime today.  The regional television news mentioned it this evening. 

It was intense but very localised.  We're about 12 miles south of Bar Hill and just got a heavy downpour.  Bar Hill, as the name suggests, is built on a hill, bowl-shaped with Tesco at the bottom.  The fields around the built-up parts are hard, many have just been cut and the rain just ran off them.  Where straw had been left in rows it washed off the fields with the deluge and presumably didn't do the drains much good.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm not familiar with the badly-affected town of March, further up in the fens.  I guess hills aren't a feature there!

• Like 1

Posted

Thats a big mistake you've just made, I wouldn't recommend anyone listening to me :D

:laugh:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/MORE-FLOODING-PICTURES-Tesco-at-Bar-Hill-reopens-following-roof-collapse-as-images-of-floods-in-Histon-and-Oakington-emerge-and-more-storms-forecast-20140809102135.htm

Oakington is the other side of the A14 from the development at Bar Hill.

BBC Radio Cambridgeshire and the Cambridge Evening News covered it in detail.

BBC Radio 2 mentioned the clean-up operation in Cambridgeshire on its news at lunchtime today.  The regional television news mentioned it this evening. 

It was intense but very localised.  We're about 12 miles south of Bar Hill and just got a heavy downpour.  Bar Hill, as the name suggests, is built on a hill, bowl-shaped with Tesco at the bottom.  The fields around the built-up parts are hard, many have just been cut and the rain just ran off them.  Where straw had been left in rows it washed off the fields with the deluge and presumably didn't do the drains much good.

Thanks twiglet!

I stand corrected

Well it was local news, I thought it would get a bit more wider coverage than that!

• Like 2

Posted

It was also on the BBC News Phone App front page this morning, at least!

Okay thanks Saint! Haven't got any of those appey things!

• Like 2

Posted

That'll be this year's excitement then!  Snow forcing abandonment of cars on the M11 makes the news occasionally, and there was that blizzard in 2001 when the 20 minute school run took five hours, but we really don't get many extremes.