Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

A very useful 28mm in the rain gauge this morning :)  Not quite sure what to expect tomorrow, already have had trees shedding leaves due to lack of water, now it looks like they'll be forcibly removed! 

• Like 1

Posted

updated warning ie today, but does not read alot different http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=se

Posted

Really starting to notice the dwindling daylight, a sure sign winter/autumn is just around the corner. Rained hard here for most of the night, the ground did need a good rinsing.

All i'm sure about tommorow i that it will be more wet then windy. We will be spared the worst of the wind and rain, Irish Sea battered again no doubt :) we are lucky we do not get the entire whole hurricane, just the decaying remnants. Still able to cause disruption though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

30mm recorded from last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Lovely day, good sunny spells, perfect for flat hunting. Looks like I will be moving to Central Chelmsford at the end of the month :)

Temperature - a pleasant 22C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The rain has stopped and my cousin has FINALLY gone home! 15.7c

Do you think there's a connection?

We had my husbands nephews (one lives in Australia) and the weather behaved perfectly all Wednesday and Thursday. We even went for a dip in the North Sea which was incredibly warm. And the farmers were frantically harvesting wheat.

But Friday morning when they got packed up to leave was dull and it was damp all afternoon with a big rumble of thunder around 4 pm. Today's been lovely.

Edited by Iceni

Posted

Really starting to notice the dwindling daylight, a sure sign winter/autumn is just around the corner.

Good grief really ? The official meteorological definition of  the start of Autumn is still 3 weeks away  ( September 1st ) and the same definition of the start of winter is December 1st....over 3 months away. Hardly just round the corner is it ?

• Like 1

Posted

Good morning fellow SE/EA folks.

Yesterday was a day that will live in my memory for quite a while.

My wife and I had agreed to drive up to Huntingdon yesterday afternoon to meet my son, girlfriend and their little boy after my son left work for the day.

We left home at about 14.15 to sunny intervals and a temperature of about 23C according to my car thermometer, although it felt a lot hotter than that, as well as sticky and uncomfortable due no doubt to the high humidity. By the time we were passing by the village of Takeley it had started to drizzle and when we had reached the large roundabout at Stansted it was sheeting it down in biblical proportions. It was so heavy that I considered it to be too dangerous to progress onto the M11 and so we made for the Birchanger Services just off the roundabout along with many other motorists.

Having parked there for about 20 minutes until the deluge relented a little I then had to queue up for some time to exit onto the roundabout as everyone else had the same idea! The M11 was very slow from the moment we joined and was at gridlock by the time we reached Cambridge. By this time the rain had intensified again and I decided to leave at Junction 13 as I know a route when one can join the M11/A14 junction near the crematorium later. We stopped in a Cambridge side road for about 10 minutes as it was difficult to see the road ahead as it was raining so heavily. On rejoining the main route the traffic was still heavy for some miles but gradually thinned out after the Biggleswade exit. Water was however pouring off the fields onto the inside lane of the motorway. 

When we arrived at the first exit for Huntingdon (80's Weather will know where I mean) taking the road to Godmanchester and at the traffic calming measure that narrows the road by the allotments we had to queue for some time as drivers approached what must have been about 2 feet of floodwater.

The rest of the journey was fairly straightforward but instead of taking about 75 minutes on a good day it took about 3 hours 20 minutes.

Our return journey home was not as bad, although we encountered torrential rain for the vast majority of the journey and the road into Godmanchester had remained flooded. We did note that even at after 10 in the evening there was still a queue of traffic northbound in the vicinity of Cambridge for several miles.

Kind regards

Dave

We told our nephews to avoid the M11 and take the A1 down into London. Hope they followed our advice as they set off going the other way about the same time as you.

Posted

Good grief really ? The official meteorological definition of  the start of Autumn is still 3 weeks away  ( September 1st ) and the same definition of the start of winter is December 1st....over 3 months away. Hardly just round the corner is it ?

Id say that Autumn is quite advanced. Just noticing all the flowers and berries feels more like LATE August and early September.. The buddleas are completely over and we've got butterflies hibernating in the house which is definitely early.

Edited by Iceni

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Mind you, we did have a very mild winter and Spring, which if I remember correctly caused lot's of trees and flowers etc to come into bloom, breed earlier.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)

Id say that Autumn is quite advanced. Just noticing all the flowers and berries feels more like LATE August and early September.. The buddleas are completely over and we've got butterflies hibernating in the house which is definitely early.

Theres conkers on the tree at the end of my road already!

Posted

Thanks for that report Iceni and I'm quite sursprised by what you say, given the very warm July our region has had. Could it not be as a result of low rainfall amounts much of the region has had in the last 2 months ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I think the weather at the moment is breaking the rules anyway. To an untrained eye is it easy to think we are getting an early autumn - just as people would blame global warming for our last wild winter. I think if mother nature wants autumn early she will do it.

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Really starting to notice the dwindling daylight, a sure sign winter/autumn is just around the corner. Rained hard here for most of the night, the ground did need a good rinsing.All i'm sure about tommorow i that it will be more wet then windy. We will be spared the worst of the wind and rain, Irish Sea battered again no doubt :) we are lucky we do not get the entire whole hurricane, just the decaying remnants. Still able to cause disruption though.

Mind you, we did have a very mild winter and Spring, which if I remember correctly caused lot's of trees and flowers etc to come into bloom, breed earlier.

Thanks for that report Iceni and I'm quite sursprised by what you say, given the very warm July our region has had. Could it not be as a result of low rainfall amounts much of the region has had in the last 2 months ?

I think the weather at the moment is breaking the rules anyway. To an untrained eye is it easy to think we are getting an early autumn - just as people would blame global warming for our last wild winter. I think if mother nature wants autumn early she will do it.

Think it is a combination of a mild start to the year and then a good long warm spell, certainly do not think it marks then end of it though, seen birds nesting anew again just today, and anyway only just passed halfway through our show season for this year (runs May through to Oct) so hope the good weather and conditions hold further.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The warm spring and hot summer means that my hazelnuts are 6 weeks early! The squirrels have eaten the lot, I am usually nutless by the end of September, not the 9th of August! :angry: :angry: :angry::cray: Been sunny all day here and warm, the little rain we had yesterday was welcome, hoping for more tomorrow! 20.5c! Only got 12mm here whilst some got 30mm! :angry::cray:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The warm spring and hot summer means that my hazelnuts are 6 weeks early! The squirrels have eaten the lot, I am usually nutless by the end of September, not the 9th of August! :angry: :angry: :angry::cray: Been sunny all day here and warm, the little rain we had yesterday was welcome, hoping for more tomorrow! 20.5c! Only got 12mm here whilst some got 30mm! :angry::cray:

12mm is not to be sniffed at. All good that it came overnight :)

Tomorrow looks like a car crash of a day, the Bertha looks like tracking just north west of our region so expect heavy rain and fresh to strong winds.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)

I'm gunna.go out on a limb here and say that it looks like apart from strong winds my little corner may come out not too bad tomorrow.

Also, how do u go about finding out how much rainfall you had? Sorry to sound like a nube haha

Edited by ThunderBuddy21

Posted

12mm is not to be sniffed at. All good that it came overnight :)

Tomorrow looks like a car crash of a day, the Bertha looks like tracking just north west of our region so expect heavy rain and fresh to strong winds.

Next door are celebrating their daughter's wedding tomorrow, they have put a flimsy looking marquee, tent thingy up, in the garden! Should I tell them the weather forecast? :unknw:

Posted

I'm gunna.go out on a limb here and say that it looks like apart from strong winds my little corner may come out not too bad tomorrow.Also, how do u go about finding out how much rainfall you had? Sorry to sound like a nube haha

try http://www.wunderground.com/. Just enter in your town/city and find the nearest one.

Posted

Next door are celebrating their daughter's wedding tomorrow, they have put a flimsy looking marquee, tent thingy up, in the garden! Should I tell them the weather forecast? :unknw:

Well that might be the decent thing to do if they are so unaware of the warnings.

Posted

Well that might be the decent thing to do if they are so unaware of the warnings.

Totally oblivious! I have just told them, but they will take their chances!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Looking at radar, I think midnight onwards..?