Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

looking at the  radar  some very heavy rain now coming  in to our area could get interesting south east  to-night

Posted

I agree with Lassie, that is some flooding, is that the A14?

A428 just on the A14, the bridge off of Hardwick. Apparently the roads are completely backed up right now, police everywhere and took somebody about 3 hours to get into Cambridge from Cambourne area (8 miles).

Just had shopping cancelled for tomorrow as Tesco's had to close their store down due to the flooding and possibly won't be able to deliver  :80:

Edited by JMTD

Posted

Black clouds rolling in here in deepest darkest hertfordshire, but as yet, no rain here all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I have the most amazing dark cloud over me atm, it doesn't cover the sky, but there is a lot of movement within it and its chucking out some mightly heavy rain. However it also looks like its stopped over my house and is rotating a tad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Yup.

So, are we all concerned about what Sunday might throw at us, or have the models changed in the last two hours and indicated that Bertha/the remnants of Bertha/an LP spawned by Bertha/an LP nothing to do with Bertha is heading to the Mediterranean via Bordeaux or Svalbard rather than the southern UK?

Still uncertainty about the track of ex hurricaine, ex tropical storm, now a deep low spawned by ex hurricaine ex tropical storm Bertha, remnants of Bertha! :cc_confused: Could go North of Scotland, middle of Britain, or much further south!

A428 just on the A14, the bridge off of Hardwick. Apparently the roads are completely backed up right now, police everywhere and took somebody about 3 hours to get into Cambridge from Cambourne area (8 miles).

Just had shopping cancelled for tomorrow as Tesco's had to close their store down due to the flooding and possibly won't be able to deliver  :80:

Do they deliver by boat?

I have the most amazing dark cloud over me atm, it doesn't cover the sky, but there is a lot of movement within it and its chucking out some mightly heavy rain. However it also looks like its stopped over my house and is rotating a tad.

Tornado! :shok:

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

One of the worst short range forecasts I think I've ever seen - how on earth could they manage to miss this amount of rain?

post-992-0-50309500-1407523382_thumb.png

post-992-0-19167300-1407523441_thumb.png

• Like 4

Posted

How low is the cloud base and how green is the sky?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

You think that's bad, they got it badly wrong for 5am-2pm! If not more... Useless

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

One of the worst short range forecasts I think I've ever seen - how on earth could they manage to miss this amount of rain?

Posted Image20140808 Mystery Rain - Forecast.png

Posted Image20140808 Mystery Rain - Actual.png

just seen that myself,no excuse,just incredibly shoddy on the part of the bbc weather team.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

just seen that myself,no excuse,just incredibly shoddy on the part of the bbc weather team.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80662-south-east-england-east-anglia-central-southern-england-regional-weather-chat/?p=3020078

Don't let the mods see you say that, they'll give you one of those cool warning points :p

• Like 3

Posted

I'm not a fan of the MetO/BBC, but to repeat, again, it's not the BBC weather team; their early evening forecasts are based on the MetO's lunchtime computer models and those had no sign of the blob of rain/showers currently coming across the Channel. TBH, at lunchtime, did anyone's model show that blob ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Sigh, warnings were made and from some of the posts on here and news stories, some places got hit really badly. The weather warnings were well founded. There is no point trying to predict where showers will form and track as they tend to ebb and flow as opposed to organised bands of rain.

That being said the imported rain never really took off this morning, though no models did well on that regard. That's the nature of showers, especially imported storms.

Shall we leave this now and move on, looking forward to any pictures and videos that people got today :)

As for the weather in my area, it chucked it down for a good 15 minutes, but I think we got away with the worst, as areas west of Cambridge found out.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 6

Posted

How low is the cloud base and how green is the sky?

It didn't look green (the storm earlier looked a bit before it thundered) and it was - no lie - looked like the cloud base was getting lower, but it was developing over me (radar conformed to a degree) but it just produced a down pour and made it very dark.

Looking at radar, we have a period of raining heading over.

Posted

Probably not tornadic, then Dami.

Raining here now, although not heavily

Posted

We have rain. Nothing spectacular, just steady rain.

Steady non spectacular rain here too!

Posted

It really raining here, as in was expecting showers, not a period of rain in a 'bedford doesn't get rain' sort of way. Lovely out mind have been spending my day with a cup of tea watching clouds/storm/cloud and rain.

Posted

Sigh, warnings were made and from some of the posts on here and news stories, some places got hit really badly. The weather warnings were well founded. There is no point trying to predict where showers will form and track as they tend to ebb and flow as opposed to organised bands of rain.

That being said the imported rain never really took off this morning, though no models did well on that regard. That's the nature of showers, especially imported storms.

Shall we leave this now and move on, looking forward to any pictures and videos that people got today :)

As for the weather in my area, it chucked it down for a good 15 minutes, but I think we got away with the worst, as areas west of Cambridge found out.

Well said CS, weather forecasting, even with super computers is incredibly difficult, even more so with showers rather than frontal rain.  As an example, your old stamping ground has got wet today, areas west of me Fakenham to Lynn have been soaked, We've stayed totally dry, only about 15 minutes of sun all day, very murky, looked on several occasions that it was going to pelt down, rain??  Not a drop, but such is the nature of showers.  We had a big(gish) storm here 2 nights ago, wasn't forecast ( as far as I know, I was just outside Stockholm hoping for a forecast Thunderstorm which never happened) but the family enjoyed it.

Weather is weather, the people who stand in front of the cameras tell us what the models see, and when the models are wrong, so are they.  I couldn't predict the weather as I'm not psychic, those that rely on technology can only report what the technology tells them.

The weather in the last 3-4 months has been sufficiently "different" to make the models struggle.  All the models rely on past data to predict the future, they need something similar in the past to predict the future, if its not there, any numerical model will only extrapolate what it can  --  and the possinbility of getting it wrong increases.

Final point, the models, as we know them, have only been about less than 10 years, all the talk of the wonderful storms of the 80's and 90's were before the models as we see them existed.

• Like 4

Posted

Probably not tornadic, then Dami.

Raining here now, although not heavily

Nope .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)

Lovely steady rain, so nice I had to go and sit in it lol. (just no t+l tho please!!)

• Like 1

Posted

It's still raining here in a non-spectacular fashion, too.

I agree with what CS and NNW said about the accuracy of models.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted

Lovely steady rain, so nice I had to go and sit in it lol. (just no t+l tho please!!)

Are you literally sitting in the rain? :laugh:  Gentle rain here, no chance of thunder or lightning i think!

Edited by lassie23

Posted

I'm not a fan of the MetO/BBC, but to repeat, again, it's not the BBC weather team; their early evening forecasts are based on the MetO's lunchtime computer models and those had no sign of the blob of rain/showers currently coming across the Channel. TBH, at lunchtime, did anyone's model show that blob ?

I think the point was,and my point anyway is that their graphics were not even reflecting a 'nowcast' situation.Surely they can update the forecast so folk watching can go out armed with a brolly!
  • Like 2