Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I must say winter does bring out more ppl !Hope your well

Sure if it is sunny for ages then there is not much to report and the SE thread is quiet, but if there is interesting weather, then this thread livens up! I like how the SE thread is at the moment. The new members are really friendly and they have made this thread a better place and most of those that have been members for a while, continue to make everyone feel welcome! Another warm night here in London! 20c :)

• Like 2

Posted

I have given up hope of anymore storms up here. Have missed a few 20 miles to the north or south over the last couple of weeks.

I am actually looking forward to the rain as we have only had a couple of light sprinkles in weeks, not even a shower.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Yeah, it's The Star, I wouldn't pay too much attention.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
ThunderBuddy21, on 01 Aug 2014 - 09:52, said:

Do they team up with the express? Lol

I think it's actually pretty accurate. The 1859 Carrington event [mentioned in the article] caused telegraph offices and lines in the US to catch fire and another much smaller one caused an outage on the Quebec power grid a few decades back. Large coronal mass ejections [CME] could potentially cause damage to power transformers. The supply of these transformers is very limited and so it could take months to replace them. Electronic gadgets are easily damaged and generally have no shielding. A major solar flare has the potential to take us back to the dark ages. In fact we were very luck on 23rd July 2012 when the sun produced another Carrington event type CME, luckily the Earth was not in the line of fire but had it happened a week earlier we would have taken a direct hit. Here's Nasa's take on that event......

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/

• Like 1

Posted

From the BBC for today!

A band of showers and rain across western parts of the UK at first, heavy at times, will spread gradually eastwards, though become increasingly fragmented. Elsewhere, a scattering of showers, but remaining mostly dry, fine and warm in the southeast.

Posted

I think it's actually pretty accurate. The 1859 Carrington event [mentioned in the article] caused telegraph offices and lines in the US to catch fire and another much smaller one caused an outage on the Quebec power grid a few decades back. Large coronal mass ejections [CME] could potentially cause damage to power transformers. The supply of these transformers is very limited and so it could take months to replace them. Electronic gadgets are easily damaged and generally have no shielding. A major solar flare has the potential to take us back to the dark ages. In fact we were very luck on 23rd July 2012 when the sun produced another Carrington event type CME, luckily the Earth was not in the line of fire but had it happened a week earlier we would have taken a direct hit. Here's Nasa's take on that event...... http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/

Wow thats really interesting, but these things must happen all the time I guess its just pot luck weather were in the firing line. They say 'we need to be prepared" but how do you prepare for something like that? Scary but what can we really do?

Posted

Have u seen the forecast for tonight :(

It says dry for here :cc_confused: what does it say for you, is the T word mentioned?

Edited by lassie23

Posted

Yes heavy possibly thundery showere from the continent but others are saying theybare going to clip kent

Posted

Yes heavy possibly thundery showere from the continent but others are saying theybare going to clip kent

You could be right thunderbuddy, this from the met office!

Tonight:

Becoming drier in the north of the UK. Further showery rain will spread across many southern areas, heavy at times, particularly parts of the southeast and east.

Saturday:

Showery rain in the south will spread northwards. The rain heavy at times. Best of any sunshine across Scotland, Northern Ireland, and later the south and southeast of England.

Edited by lassie23

Posted

What right about them clipping kent or getting all of us lol? X

Posted

It's a case of waiting and radar watching on this one - some models want to just clip Kent with the thundery rain tonight, others want a more direct hit on a bigger chunk of the SE. 

Posted

What right about them clipping kent or getting all of us lol? X

Sorry! Should have been more specific! :laugh:  Right about all of the SE getting showers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
ThunderBuddy21, on 01 Aug 2014 - 11:26, said:

Wow thats really interesting, but these things must happen all the time I guess its just pot luck weather were in the firing line.They say 'we need to be prepared" but how do you prepare for something like that? Scary but what can we really do?

Yeh, been fortunate so far I guess. Nasa say the risk is 12% chance in next 10 years - Earth has to be in the right position to take the hit from a sufficiently large flare. There are certain things power companies can do given enough warning, like taking parts or the whole grid down. There are also devices available that can be fitted to transformers to protect them but I don't think they are widely used. Needs a bit of forward planning I suppose, something that politicians are notoriously bad at.

Posted

Dull day here, although it started off well with sunshine before clouding up at about 9am. Struggling to make it above 20C, so it feels quite cool after the heat of the last few days. Could use some rain for the garden, but it all seems a bit iffy for tonight. 

Posted

Radar watch all nihht for me then lol. Hate all these storms! Nice and sunny here now after a cloudy mornig and I cant go out coz ive lost my keys!!

Posted

Radar watch all nihht for me then lol. Hate all these storms! Nice and sunny here now after a cloudy mornig and I cant go out coz ive lost my keys!!

Have you looked behind the sofa? Pressure is falling and my weather station is predicting rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

nice forecast from Nick Finnis for storm lovers in the south east for tonight into tomorrow morning, even the possibility of a mesoscale convective system develpoing and drifting out of France overnight....one to watch.... http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81051-uk-storm-and-severe-convective-forecast/#entry3016953

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

:(

sorry!....maybe you'll get lucky and see nothing?.....looking at the modeled forecast, you look likely to be at the western most point of the area at risk

Posted

sorry!....maybe you'll get lucky and see nothing?.....looking at the modeled forecast, you look likely to be at the western most point of the area at risk

Fingers crossed!! Do u have a link for the model u looked at, probably wont understand it but still find it interesting. Also do u think it is going to be as bad as the other week 17-19th july?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

Been nice here on and off today. Currently very cloudy but no rain.

Whats it looking like for my parts tonight/tomorrow as met office had us down for thunder but now it's changed to rain lol