Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Trying to work out which bits or this storm are dying, which are growing and where it is going is nearly impossible!

• Like 1

Posted

Blue sky with scattered cloud in MK, although I can see a wall of high cloud to the east. I hope it stays there. Pop up storms welcome though (but it feels too calm).

Posted

Keep hearing lots of sirens around too

Probably fire crews going to Brighton as they have had flash flooding and are pumping out a few basements it seems. Also trains delayed half an hour after lightning struck something on the railway

News here.:-  http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11369589.Storms_causing_delays__disruption_and_damage_as_heavy_rain_and_lightning_hits/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Blue skies and sunshine moving in now from the N and E. should help warm things up a bit, feels positively chilly at 16C!

Posted

Dry here in Essex now rained earlier had thunder at 4.30 this morning dont like whats lurking in the North Sea moving West

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)

Probably fire crews going to Brighton as they have had flash flooding and are pumping out a few basements it seems. Also trains delayed half an hour after lightning struck something on the railwayNews here.:-  http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11369589.Storms_causing_delays__disruption_and_damage_as_heavy_rain_and_lightning_hits/

Yeah we got flash flooding round here too, no trains calling at worthing due to flooding in the underpass
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Yeah we got flash flooding round here too, no trains calling at worthing due to flooding in the underpass

Storm in your region seems to be heading back towards the channel. Could get some more heavy rain locally in the same areas affected earlier. Defining edge to the cell, probably clear west of Bognor ?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Bugger all here, glad I didn't take notice of the beebs forecasted rain radar :)

Edited by TruthSpeaker

Posted

Storm in your region seems to be heading back towards the channel. Could get some more heavy rain locally in the same areas affected earlier. Defining edge to the cell, probably clear west of Bognor ?

Can't see the radars not working for me right now. I think there's more to come though :( my poor heart is under a lot of stress right now :(

Posted

Hadn't even checked the forecasts as not been well. Slept through it all through the night and woke up to find out there was lightning for about 2-3 hours, glad I slept through it  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Not a sausage here! Been dry and sunny all day, apart from some  cloud in the morning! 22c

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 3

Posted

Not a sausage here! Been dry and sunny all day, apart from some  cloud in the morning! 22c

Lucky you I thought I was in 'the day after tomorrow '! So freakin scared!!!

Posted

Large tower going up to my east with rain shafts :)

Posted

Lucky you I thought I was in 'the day after tomorrow '! So freakin scared!!!

Hi thunderbuddy! Typical isn't it, you don't like storms and you keep getting them, if you loved them, I bet they would avoid your area! :doh:  They must have been something though, because they made it into the news !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It'd be interesting to know how much rain fell in Thaxted, during the 1 1/2 hour period centred on 2:30 this morning. The radar returns look pretty unbelievable. :blink2:

The result was flash flooding and a collapsed road.

Posted

The largest amount they recorded was 40mm in an hr

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The hail cores tend to make the radar returns look a lot worse than they were, the Brighton storm showed off the scale accumulations over 250mm! Yet the highest amount actually recorded seems to be 46mm on a Brighton PWS, although looking at the media quite likely that some spots had close on 100mm.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

I think the extreme rainfall can be very localised though and a valid recording instrument needs to be in the right place. Thaxted radar returns looked way worse than Northolt, which recorded 46mm in two hours.

Posted

The hail cores tend to make the radar returns look a lot worse than they were, the Brighton storm showed off the scale accumulations over 250mm! Yet the highest amount actually recorded seems to be 46mm on a Brighton PWS, although looking at the media quite likely that some spots had close on 100mm.

Yes, it looked extreme in Brighton too. It'd be interesting to know the location of the weather station though. I checked one location in the east of the city, on the radar and it didn't seem anywhere near as bad as a location only 1/2 mile away.

Posted

Yes, it looked extreme in Brighton too. It'd be interesting to know the location of the weather station though. I checked one location in the east of the city, on the radar and it didn't seem anywhere near as bad as a location only 1/2 mile away.

Here it was 44mm actually:

http://classic.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IEASTSUS50

Posted
Posted

Interesting report. :) They've quoted 43mm of rain falling in an hour in Gt Dunmow, which is a few miles down the road from Thaxted (although they've quoted the wrong county :doh: )

Thaxted's rainfall looked a lot worse to my eyes. I guess without a rainfall station at the sweet spot, it's going to be one of those only guessed at figures.

Posted

Zombie Apocalypse! :laugh: Only zombies were the early commuters wishing they could still be in bed on a Monday morning! Blue sky, sunny, 23.8c here, no showers! 4 miles away from here there were floods!