Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

It's of course worth noting that the Metoffice Amber warning was for the central spine of the country. Which is pretty much where the most intense storms formed.

It's not over yet, tomorrow still sees 850s of +12C over the east of the country and with only a very light north westerly wind and a still unstable airflow, showers and thunderstorms of a homegrown nature are likely. These potentially becoming prolonged in eastern areas as an onshore breeze develops which will aid convection in areas close to the coast.

Temperatures look very good (24-27C widely). 

The week ahead looks settled and very warm. Perhaps hot in the home counties.

Looks like east Norfolk and Suffolk are having fun now, including the triangle of doom according to radar.

Great post Captain, as always positive and sensible.

Keep up the good work.

Posted

Excellent photos on this thread, and numerous other threads. I love the visual aspect. Looking quite good for this region, as we cling on to the plume, whereas to the west it will be turning fresher.

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely picture! I actually have a cat instead! :cc_confused: Did you get any storms in your part of London today, I dodged the lot! Is that you in your avatar?

So your called lassie but have a cat? Lol your funny. No storms here 2day but yesterday....woooo. Crazy! How bout u? xI'm not in London but South ish fairly close just didn't think ppl wud know my town lol Edited by dragonslayer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I am looking to call it a night and hope to get some sleep in cooler conditions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Lovely sitting in the garden watching distant lightning over Yarmouth earlier :)  It was slightly further west than last night's wasted effort so actually got to see and hear something, even though we are right on the furthest westernmost edge :) Not very active (about one strike every 15 mins) so no worth breaking out the camera.

Posted

Just went and had a look East from the Cromer -  Aylsham road at the storm running up the East Coast.

Got a few shots, the pick of which are

How on earth do you get pics like these? There was plenty to see earlier but I just can't get the settings right  - perhaps I was too far away :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

So we got the best night storm in years when none where forecast and then the days they were forecast we got nout haha. You couldn't make it up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

So your called lassie but have a cat? Lol your funny. No storms here 2day but yesterday....woooo. Crazy! How bout u? xI'm not in London but South ish fairly close just didn't think ppl wud know my town lol

Oh sorry I thought you were in North London lol! I had no storms today, last night was just rain, the night before, two brief storms.......and that was that!

Posted

Oh sorry I thought you were in North London lol! I had no storms today, last night was just rain, the night before, two brief storms.......and that was that!

No I put 'near' nr London in my avi...maybe I should change it. Ah u missed out was epic x
  • Like 1

Posted

No I put 'near' nr London in my avi...maybe I should change it. Ah u missed out was epic x

What a banana, I read it as North London! :doh: :doh: :doh: So you got the epic stuff and I got the leftovers ! :laugh:

Posted

What a banana, I read it as North London! :doh: :doh: :doh: So you got the epic stuff and I got the leftovers ! :laugh:

yh a 'banana' pmsl. I'll keep my fingers crossed you'll get some storms tmrw if u like them x I prefer the hot sunny weather so I can tan in the garden
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Oppressively hot and humid tonight again in London, had a few beers but don't know if it'll be enough to get me to sleep

I wouldn't call Thursday night brief storms, it was one of the best night time lightning shows I've seen. Started at 1.30 and produced over an hour of frequent lightning and not long later we had another one that I tried my best to sleep through but it seemed to keep going for quite a while as well. Disappointing that the forecast events never fully materialised but we can't really complain

• Like 1

Posted

yh a 'banana' pmsl. I'll keep my fingers crossed you'll get some storms tmrw if u like them x I prefer the hot sunny weather so I can tan in the garden

Thanks Dragon Slayer, don't forget the factor 50!

Oppressively hot and humid tonight again in London, had a few beers but don't know if it'll be enough to get me to sleep

I wouldn't call Thursday night brief storms, it was one of the best night time lightning shows I've seen. Started at 1.30 and produced over an hour of frequent lightning and not long later we had another one that I tried my best to sleep through but it seemed to keep going for quite a while as well. Disappointing that the forecast events never fully materialised but we can't really complain

The storms just grazed me here, but you could tell that whoever got a direct hit was seeing something impressive, the lightning was very frequent even on the edge of the storm!

Posted

How on earth do you get pics like these? There was plenty to see earlier but I just can't get the settings right  - perhaps I was too far away :(

Hi Rob,

Believe it or not the photo's are taken on my phone (Galaxy S3).  I have never succeeded in getting good lightning shots using my Digital SLR, always come out blurred.

The App on the phone is called Lightning Camera and it takes a loop of photos that holds between 3 and 5 seconds worth of photos all the time.  You point the camera in the direction of the storm and stop the loop after a flash.

The one with the 2 strikes amazed me, I only saw one yet the camera picked up those 2 strikes side by side.  Almost look like 2 giants walking (at least in my imagination

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all, cloud is already bubbling up here in Benfleet. So what will our chances be like today.

Well we still sit under some very warm air (850s around 12C)

Posted Image

The greatest instability in the 500mb heights seems to be across the eastern side of the UK as we sit between the two high pressure cells. Winds slack but from a north westerly direction. The winds will very likely become onshore from late morning.

Cape values

Posted Image

Looks good at the surface and mid-levels.

Temperatures look to be around 24-27C.

Plenty of juice and perhaps aided by wind convergence between the off shore and on shore breeze, this could mean a line of thunderstorms forming from Essex going north north westwards up along the east coast of the UK. So I think there could be the chance of prolonged spells of rain, perhaps small hail as well and I couldn't rule out a funnel cloud or two today.

• Like 4

Posted

morning all looks  like  Essex ,Suffolk,Norfolk, could  get storms  soon some  now leaving France heading  up the north sea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Thought things were happening at dinner time, it got cloudy and dark. Pizza ordered. At least that delivered. 

In all due fairness, a few hours before i think it would of developed into something.

Posted

Still very humid, even a fan can't cool down the room! Another week of hot humid weather to come!

Humidity 84%

Humidex 26.6c

dewpoint 17.8c

Cloudy

22C

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morning all

Another stormless night here and it remained hot and humid, really hoped even for some cooling rain.

Just finished some chores whilst it was a bit cooler, starting to really warm up here now as the sun gets to work on the thin layer of cloud.

Looks like we have more of this at least until the tail end of next week.

I have noticed tempers (not mine) a bit frayed with some as the toll of heat and poor sleeping conditions mounts.

Posted

Hi Rob,

Believe it or not the photo's are taken on my phone (Galaxy S3).  I have never succeeded in getting good lightning shots using my Digital SLR, always come out blurred.

The App on the phone is called Lightning Camera and it takes a loop of photos that holds between 3 and 5 seconds worth of photos all the time.  You point the camera in the direction of the storm and stop the loop after a flash.

The one with the 2 strikes amazed me, I only saw one yet the camera picked up those 2 strikes side by side.  Almost look like 2 giants walking (at least in my imagination

Cheers :)  I saw the double stroke as well, thought I'd got it but sadly not! I'll see if I can get the app to download (don't ask me why but I find it virtually impossible for my S4 to connect to anything, except in Amsterdam where it updated itself on a bus....!!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Morning all, cloud is already bubbling up here in Benfleet.

Didn't realise you were just up the road to me! - we're looking at heading canvey/Southend /shoeburyness this afternoon if the potential is still good...

Edited by Team Jo

Posted

Interesting that Icelandic Met Office wasn't showing any significant rain for East Anglia upto an hour ago now from Noon to 9pm today they are showing continuous rain of varying intensity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all, cloud is already bubbling up here in Benfleet.

Didn't realise you were just up the road to me! - we're looking at heading canvey/Southend /shoeburyness this afternoon if the potential is still good...

Good luck, I'm heading in the other direction to Lakeside for a spot of shopping, no storm chasing for me this weekend unfortunately. Still very little sign of cloud, let alone anything else. Though I can see cloud building inland.

Edited by Captain shortwave