Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Personally you should be allowed to criticise whoever, bbc, met office, netweather anyone that forecasts the weather, but then you should be able to praise aswell. If the met office are rubbish I'll say so, if netweather does a good forecast I'll say so. But it seems the met are untouchable on this forum, I can clearly see that by the response of the team when they are criticised.

As for me, I miss the glory days of a green map and symbols, everything went down hill when they spent more money on brown and screen panning.

I quite agree. Can anyone precisely position a thunderstorm from 24 hours' out?

What about "normal weather" it's not just storms

What would really get my praise is, if the beeb/met said "Hey we got it wrong", instead of just ignoring it as if it never happened, or using old recorded forecasts. The weather works 24/7 thus they need to as well ;)

Edited by TruthSeeker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Text can tell you about the unpredictability of thunderstorms, pictures can't.

I don't disagree in the slightest. I know how difficult it is to accurately forecast storms, snow and all the rest, but my point wasn't about that, it was that if they have a map to show what the upcoming weather is doing, and they have the text to better explain that weather, then the 2 should match and not be completely different. That's as much use a chocolate tea pot

Posted

I don't disagree in the slightest. I know how difficult it is to accurately forecast storms, snow and all the rest, but my point wasn't about that, it was that if they have a map to show what the upcoming weather is doing, and they have the text to better explain that weather, then the 2 should match and not be completely different. That's as much use a chocolate tea pot

"Rain with a moderate chance of thunder"

That would come up as rain on a graphic. If you read the text you would now know there is a decent chance of thunderstorms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Too hot. Thankfully my essays got finished last night so I could chill today, if only I could!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Damn...

My head is banging, water isn't working :( Better be worth it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Too hot. Thankfully my essays got finished last night so I could chill today, if only I could!!!

I find that eating a bucket of ice cream works!

Posted

The Heat is getting to everyone :)))

just to note that the trough axis over France will be increasingly negatively tilted (i.e more SE to NW) as we move into the overnight period which will encourage storms that develop INVOF the trough will tend to steer more in that direction than SW to NE as they will do this afternoon

Oh :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

"Rain with a moderate chance of thunder"

That would come up as rain on a graphic. If you read the text you would now know there is a decent chance of thunderstorms.

To put this to bed as I really CBA to go on and on about it. The graphic all week has been showing light rain and the texts have been changing to reflect what the actual models suggest but the graphic stayed the same. Why have the graphic if you aren't going to update it when you update the text?

The Met O app on my phone has no text, only graphics, that also shows light rain (or did until recently). If that's all people have access to then they make plans based on the information presented. Light rain....great go out, meet friends,......Get struck by lightening and hit by hail that wasn't forecast on my app.....lovely

Melodramatic, maybe, over the top? For sure, but my point is valid. Agree or not, I'm not bothered either way and I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right or wrong but I'm allowed my opinion just as you are allowed yours.

Edited by Lloydyd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The Heat is getting to everyone :)))

certainly seems that way, sad really.....I'm quite happy to put my hand up when I'm in the wrong..

...anyways, apology has been made, so to all, on with the discussion please.....if anyone wants to give me further 'tellings off' then pm me

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Have to agree that considering the money they get and the facilities they hold and use that the meto output recently has fallen below par and updates have been slow or non-existent / late. When amateurs are following and forecasting current events as they are online with other sites as "nowcasting" says a lot, the fact they do not use the meto says something.

• Like 1

Posted

Sat in front of a desk fan again here, anything to make the world feel more comfortable.

I have to cook, and I have no want to even start in this weather...

...packet of crisps anyone?

Posted

Have edited some posts, and deleted some posts. Will be pm'ing those involved :)

Agree with this view though - people are welcome to praise and criticise as they wish, although in some cases when people are using every single post just to moan about the met (or indeed someone else) it gets a bit tedious for people reading it - that's all. 

Personally you should be allowed to criticise whoever, bbc, met office, netweather anyone that forecasts the weather, but then you should be able to praise aswell. If the met office are rubbish I'll say so, if netweather does a good forecast I'll say so. 
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

31.6 here from a rather ancient and low cost thermometer (well it probably is accurate today but gets a bit upset in the very hot and very cold and won't transmit wirelessly). However I can believe the temp certainly.

Haven't even bothered with Met O forecast today. Looking at various weather sites and taking the general view - didn't expect the storm (that fizzled out) this morning either but then I was falling asleep so didn't check sites late last night. I should have done! If I have to do an all nighter tonight, I will! I'm hoping for something over the next day or so. Would really like to capture some lightning :)

Not feeling the heat too much as interior of house is old and cool. 

Keep drinking lots of water, everyone! :)

Posted

Nice and cool? Lucky you!

My place was 28C all night, had the windows and curtains shut all day aswell then opened up late evening. Damn heat trap :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Blowing an absolute hooley here, very bright clear skies too - some clouds in the west trying to make a go of it but they're just getting ripped to pieces by this strong E'ly. Two hours on the tractor though, very pleasant and not at all humid :)

Posted

I am going to venture out to the nearby park and wander the wooded shade by the brook.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

The wind has picked up here to quite a strong breeze, got puffs of cloud too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Nice and cool? Lucky you!

My place was 28C all night, had the windows and curtains shut all day aswell then opened up late evening. Damn heat trap :(

That is warm, certainly. Here though only the interior hallway area is cool - because I am following weather stuff and doing things at computer in cool area, am not feeling the heat quite so much. Elsewhere, upstairs, living room, probably 26C plus... will deal with that later (or be out chasing!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Local weather station near my house is reporting temps of 34.4c with a dew point of 17c with a feels like temperature of 35c, not sure how accurate that is but it sure does feel hot! Ill check in later as its time to get my chicken on at Nando's!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

Still looks SW/NE slant as the storms approach Le Mans. Good for Kent, Essex and E Sussex.

Does anyone have any idea when they are meant to veer in a S to N direction?

Edited by TN26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I thought I would find it too hot out there, but it's actually quite lovely. Would not want to be working in it though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Afternoon :)

A partly cloudy morning followed by a cloudless afternoon, well apart from some thin high cloud and the occasional cumulus. 30C here today. Currently 30C at Cambridge and 31C at Stansted. Looks like Gravesend was top dog again at 32C.

Bring on the storms tonight.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I thought I would find it too hot out there, but it's actually quite lovely. Would not want to be working in it though.

It's the easterly breeze that helps! Got to 31.5c here today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Still looks SW/NE slant as the storms approach Le Mans. Good for Kent, Essex and E Sussex.

Does anyone have any idea when they are meant to veer in a S to N direction?

difficult to call because the storms we're expecting haven't initiated yet, I think watching movement and development on radar between say 7pm and 10pm should give a good indication, that's how I guesstimated the track of last night's Storm... (And even then I wasn't 100% until it actually went off!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

difficult to call because the storms we're expecting haven't initiated yet, I think watching movement and development on radar between say 7pm and 10pm should give a good indication, that's how I guesstimated the track of last night's Storm... (And even then I wasn't 100% until it actually went off!)

Haven't they? Didn't know that. Definitely some activity in France that has developed and on it's current path could/should hit the South East. 

Looking forward to the main event if and when it arives.