Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Phew, 30C passed now! Hottest day this year so far...may squeeze a 32C? Should help any storms along nicely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Very strong onshore E'ly here, makes everything way more bearable but can fool people into thinking they won't get sunburnt. Oh yes you will.....I see you all the time in Tesco, little fat red tourists all shiny and uncomfortable :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Not being funny the Met don't have ANY lightening symbols for our whole area for any time in the warning period. Completely useless. Don't they realise that Joe public use them to find out what's going on?? Not everyone is fortunate enough to belong to NW....really annoys me

some really strange posts in here concerning the met office, here's an excerpt from their forecast for London & the South east....

"

Headline:

Hot, humid, and mainly sunny. Turning thundery later.

Today:

A hot and humid day with some good sunny spells, but with scattered heavy showers or thunderstorms at first this morning. More frequent thunderstorms spreading from the south by late evening, with a risk of hail and gusty winds. Maximum temperature 33 °C.

Tonight:

Heavy thunderstorms continuing overnight, with a risk of longer spells of thundery rain or hail with frequent lightning and gusty winds. Very warm, humid and uncomfortable. Minimum temperature 21 °C.

Saturday:

Hot, humid and cloudy, with further heavy thunderstorms and possible longer spells of thundery rain or hail with frequent lightning and gusty winds. Perhaps brightening up at times later. Maximum temperature 30 °C.

Updated: 0904 on Fri 18 Jul 2014"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

:shok: Can anybody beat that or have they been arrested for public indecency! :laugh: Strong easterly breeze now! The Daily Mash, thanks Mesoscale, it made me laugh, that festival article too! :rofl:

in this heat...needs must.  sod public decency :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

some really strange posts in here concerning the met office, here's an excerpt from their forecast for London & the South east....

"

Headline:

Hot, humid, and mainly sunny. Turning thundery later.

Today:

A hot and humid day with some good sunny spells, but with scattered heavy showers or thunderstorms at first this morning. More frequent thunderstorms spreading from the south by late evening, with a risk of hail and gusty winds. Maximum temperature 33 °C.

Tonight:

Heavy thunderstorms continuing overnight, with a risk of longer spells of thundery rain or hail with frequent lightning and gusty winds. Very warm, humid and uncomfortable. Minimum temperature 21 °C.

Saturday:

Hot, humid and cloudy, with further heavy thunderstorms and possible longer spells of thundery rain or hail with frequent lightning and gusty winds. Perhaps brightening up at times later. Maximum temperature 30 °C.

Updated: 0904 on Fri 18 Jul 2014"

The met and the beeb were pretty much spot on last night for my area. Scattered thunderstorms, but not lasting too long!

• Like 2

Posted

Hey, havent been on for a while but I thought I'd have a look after that great thunderstorm last night! Not seen much like that before... was great. I managed to luckily get one poor photo of a strike last night.

post-13531-0-80968400-1405688856_thumb.p

Edited by WheresTheSnow
  • Like 3

Posted

I can confirm a reading of 30.1c which is 86F. May we hedge 90F I reckon it will be very close.

Phew fortunately, I have a refreshing water spray thing ;-)

Posted
30 c reached at 2 metres in the shade in Beltinge. Wind off the land still. Might hit 33 later. Was 25 at langdon bay at midday with onshore wind, so its definately classed as hot today. On the subject of onshore winds, august 1st saw a truely remarkable heat event. There was a strong south east wind blasting very hot air across the eastern channel. South coast towns such as Folkestone where i was living them got to 32 or 33 celsius. Heathrow - 34

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

You can anways go here http://newsthump.com/ and have a giggle whilst waiting for the heat to sod off :)

Posted

You can anways go here http://newsthump.com/ and have a giggle whilst waiting for the heat to sod off :)

:shok: The first headline is a bit below the belt! I'd actually buy a newspaper everyday, if they were more like that! :rofl:  31.5c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

It's bloody hot! Walking outside of the house in a suit is just unbearable!

Yep. I wear a suit all week for work... Not even allowed to remove our ties.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

Storms off the coast of and around Bordeaux seem to have a NE direction to them,. Good news for Kent, E. Sussex and Essex. Fits in nicely with the level 2 Estofex warning and goes a little against the Met office central UK bias to there maps/warnings.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Storms off the coast of and around Bordeaux seem to have a NE direction to them,. Good news for Kent, E. Sussex and Essex. Fits in nicely with the level 2 Estofex warning and goes a little against the Met office central UK bias to there maps/warnings.

I noticed this as well, they are going north, north east and are already south west of us! Whereas last night the storms formed over nw france and channel isle and then exploded towards the south. I think the met is going to be slightly out on this one ( not unusual ). Estofex looking good

Posted

Yep. I wear a suit all week for work... Not even allowed to remove our ties.....

Snap.

Just been down the pub for a cheeky few. Was lovely in the shade of the tree in the pub garden, but literally we shrivelled the moment we moved into the sun.

Worse thing is, back in the office, suited and booted, no air con, not near a window, just have a fan blowing around warm air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Wasn't the Estofex warning issued last night and hence might be a little out of date in the volatile situation we're in?

Also the Met Office warning difference between yellow and amber is just the probability element of the matrix. It's just saying that the intense thunderstorms are currently more likely in the amber area; If you get hit in the yellow area, the impact is likely to be similar.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ee&fcTime=1405724400

John Hammond sensibly advised at 1:30 on BBC1 that the detail of the forecast was likely to change hour by hour and for people to keep watching. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

Wasn't the Estofex warning issued last night and hence might be a little out of date in the volatile situation we're in?

Also the Met Office warning difference between yellow and amber is just the probability element of the matrix. It's just saying that the intense thunderstorms are currently more likely in the amber area; If you get hit in the yellow area, the impact is likely to be similar.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ee&fcTime=1405724400

John Hammond sensibly advised at 1:30 on BBC1 that the detail of the forecast was likely to change hour by hour and for people to keep watching. 

You could well be right there. The Estofex warning was issued at 22.40 last night so could be old news. A NNE slant to those storms in Biscay however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just to note that the trough axis over France will be increasingly negatively tilted (i.e more SE to NW) as we move into the overnight period which will encourage storms that develop INVOF the trough will tend to steer more in that direction than SW to NE as they will do this afternoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Well, that's my day sorted!

post-17057-0-11713800-1405691810_thumb.j

Omw home from a blazing hot Herne Bay, now roll on tonight!

Posted

I shouldn't have to read the text when they offer up a graphical representation of the weather for the next 4/5 days. It clearly doesn't does it?? Myself, like everyone else on this forum are perfectly allowed to have an opinion on any organisation they would choose to without having to be called dyslexic by some forum member on a power trip!

Maybe there should be a balance, be allowed to criticize not just the Met and BBC for wrong forecasts, but others too! But also praise them when they are correct! I have criticized them here before, but thought I should point out that last night was accurate! How are you Lloydyd, how is the pup coping in this weather?

• Like 3

Posted

32.5 c here in my garden. ... and my thermometer is in the shade in the coolest part of the garden

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Maybe there should be a balance, be allowed to criticize not just the Met and BBC for wrong forecasts, but others too! But also praise them when they are correct! I have criticized them here before, but thought I should point out that last night was accurate! How are you Lloydyd, how is the pup coping in this weather?

And that's fair enough mate, I would like to think that after 5 or so years on this forum that I can call some of you friends. Virtual or not, it really doesn't matter in this day and age and I spend more time talking to some of you than I do with my "real" friends.

Everyone is allowed an opinion be it right or wrong and they shouldn't be chastised for expressing it.

For me personally, I think that the Met have been under performing in their assessment of the models and have not been very accurate. That's my opinion, if you think I'm wrong, then fine, and please feel free to tell me, but I'm 40 years old not a child and I do not need to be spoken to like that and if that's acceptable then I'm definitely in the wrong place as NW never used to be like that. I can understand why so many of our other friends leave for other forums. The 5 day forecast consistently showed light rain for my precise area for last night. All I was stating in my original post was that's completely useless. Which to be fair, is fact, it is and was useless and wrong. No I didn't read the text, but then if they are going to update the text to reflect the current forecast then why don't they update the map which I use for a quick look at what they think is coming.

The fact that thus far I have 9 respect or likes or what ever the points are below my post and the other post has none makes me feel a little ratified in my opinion of the response I received so thank you all for that.

Rant over.....moving on, Pup is panting all over the place bless him, I'm putting him into a nice cool bath later, poor little thing.

Edited by Lloydyd
  • Like 3

Posted

And that's fair enough mate, I would like to think that after 5 or so years on this forum that I can call some of you friends. Virtual or not, it really doesn't matter in this day and age and I spend more time talking to some of you than I do with my "real" friends.

Everyone is allowed an opinion be it right or wrong and they shouldn't be chastised for expressing it.

For me personally, I think that the Met have been under performing in their assessment of the models and have not been very accurate. That's my opinion, if you think I'm wrong, then fine, and please feel free to tell me, but I'm 40 years old not a child and I do not need to be spoken to like that and if that's acceptable then I'm definitely in the wrong place as NW never used to be like that. I can understand why so many of our other friends leave for other forums. The 5 day forecast consistently showed light rain for my precise area for last night. All I was stating in my original post was that's completely useless. Which to be fair, is fact, it is and was useless and wrong. No I didn't read the text, but then if they are going to update the text to reflect the current forecast then why don't they update the map which I use for a quick look at what they think is coming.

The fact that thus far I have 9 respect or likes or what ever the points are below my post and the other post has none makes me feel a little ratified in my opinion of the response I received so thank you all for that.

Rant over.....moving on, Pup is panting all over the place bless him, I'm putting him into a nice cool bath later, poor little thing.

Text can tell you about the unpredictability of thunderstorms, pictures can't.

• Like 1