Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms

Very Humid here. Just had the first cracking of Thunder! Radar nuw showing a collection of small pocket of heavy rain. Magic Bat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Almost constant thunder from the West, still no rain nor lightning seen and radar doesn't suggest any rainfall. I haven't seen an electrical storm such as this since the 1990's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Thunder getting more regular - haven't seen any lightening though....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Storm now past through sw London leaving lots of surface flooding. Most thunder and lightning I've experienced in a long long time

Posted

Storm now approaching from the West, 5 miles away, I can hear the thunder but still no rain, very strange!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I don't even have to say it really. Guess who's stormless? 

yeah i know it's hit and miss but c'mon the law of averages and all.  :nonono:

Posted

Just took a look outside and saw a massive CG, still a few miles away and not a drop of rain? And as I type another rumble!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Heavy rain now here in Croydon but thunder seems to have eased.

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I am currently at a wedding near T. Wells. I see I have the thunder symbol for 12 tonight at home. If i miss storms I won't be happy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers & Mild Winters

Had the most thunder & lightening here that we have had for a few years.  Sadly not directly overhead though and had no rain at all.  About 2 or 3 miles N/NE it seemed to track.  Eased off now.  Hoping more to come and we get a direct hit.  

Edited by LJS22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/ Snow

Starting to get very dark here in Benfleet, South Essex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/ Snow

Thundery Rumbles every 20 -30 seconds or so.

Posted

The thunder seems more distant now. Not a classic storm - but hey, I'm not complaining

Posted

2 more rumbles, and it's raining now. No lightning seen after it arrived!

Edit to add, a massive thunder clap just heard but I never saw the flash, it's a bit bonkers!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Newsflash! talk of weather soon to be banned in this thread :rofl:

After a very hot and humid day it has become a still and warm evening, no sign of any rain or storms though, much more cloud has arrived mind.

berk!  :p

Posted

Actually feels quite tropical outside. The clouds seem to be getting darker.... Would like to see some lightening. Still the rumbles continue.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

To be honest, as I stated in a post a few days ago, I don't look at the Met Office because I don't trust them to be correct. I look at various forecasts and sites, some originating abroad and take a general view. If some give forecasts that are generally the same, that is what I kind of expect to happen. I am no forecaster nor am I an expert in weather but I would have thought second and third opinions, so to speak, are quite useful to have.

Having said that, today I am rather frustrated at various forecasts who, for the past few days to a week, almost, been forecasting for my area 50+% chance of storms. Netweather and other sites have forecast this. OK, before you bash me and say learn to look at models, just for today let say why can't I do as most people might and go by the 'general public' sort of forecast? I am trying to learn (hideously slowly) and look at the model threads but I have to say NW - wrong - no storms are forming today, and if you think that 22 or 23 feels like 30 as was mentioned in the NW 7 day, that is not the case.  And I have lived in a hot country so I can safely say, this is not hot at all and not even the 'real feel' is correct. WeatherOnline.co.uk app has stated storms today/weekend for the past week - so far, wrong, and they are usually pretty good.

The cloud over us barely cleared until 1pm. East Anglia (certainly an IP postcode) is not the Midlands where most of the storms have ended up tracking. Met Office - from reading the forums it appears there are storm warnings though not sure about their timescales. Now storm chance is pushed to this evening. If NW can just perhaps put into your database that my postcodes (I live on the edges of two areas) for this area never get a storm, you can make your forecasts more accurate.

Normally I am very positive on these forums and post helpful answers to various (non weather questions),granted. I am not wishing to stir things up, nor do I want to start a whole debate. I am just very frustrated that something forecast by varied sources seem very wrong, and temps so very wrong.

I even went to a topographical map to see why the trend is that my area avoids storms, is it because winds and moisture and whatever else get sucked towards the lowland Fens, or the heat island of Ipswich and then other nearby towns make the storms track either side of us. I am trying to find this out. I watched the sferics on the radar this morning approach Ipswich and begin to skirt and fizzle out, was it the heat island effect? Amazing if so, how it wipes it all out.

I may have to eat my words later if a right old banger of a storm does pop up. But for now, I am:

Yours

Disgruntled of this part of Suffolk.

very interesting post. It is remarkable how many parts of the UK have their own microclimate (I was born an bred in Torbay, and it certainly had a microclimate compared with surrounding regions) and I agree I think the key factors are topological in nature....I'm going to look into &  in detail and get back to you on this one......It's ironic though as in the hour since your post your part of the UK has erupted in storms, but these storms are single celled, slow moving storms so one area might get drenched whereas 5 miles down the road stays bone dry. In this instance it's because of lack of wind shear with altitude ie. the wind directions are fairly uniform with altitude so the updraft gets swamped with rain cooled air after 30 mins or so, thus cutting off the 'fuel' supply

• Like 1

Posted

Thunderstorm over Basildon, very slow moving. Little wind, vertical rain and IC lightning!!!