Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 10th June Onwards

The PIT

Posted

nice to see some storm starved folk getting a good  show last night,

I wish our storm last tuesday would have been during darkness, the lightning every 8 secs would have looked almost supercell like

cant complain though, hope there is much more to come this year, 

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

I never knew any of this went on, the whole of London repels any storms! I would have been in a perfect spot if I was just 5-10m to my west, great that some of you got something decent.

It does repel you are right! Having lived in SE London for a couple of years now,i have been amazed at how storms divert away at all points of the compass away from this postcode!Its certainly not my imagination,originally from Hastings,that was a real sweet spot for 'weather' from any direction.This place rivals Pit's Sheffield as having a storm shield up it would seem. Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 1

Posted

Would have loved to be up Portsdown last night. It was odd, because of the footy I missed the forecast, and wasnt on the site here...I could tell something was afoot. Just didn't have my tripod...

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Storm & Convective Forecast

Issued 2014-06-14 08:47:56

Valid: 14/06/2014 0900z to 15/06/2014 0600z

post-1052-0-61684100-1402735848_thumb.pn

THERE IS A RISK OF STORMS FORECAST

Synopsis
Ridging extends north across the E Atlantic/western Brtiain with long-wave trough extending south to the east over eastern Scandinavia and NW Russia. At the surface, a slack N to NE flow covers the UK with a weak/diffuse weather front slowly progressing west across mainland UK, introducing slightly cooler/fresher conditions across eastern areas.

... E WALES, MIDLANDS and C S ENGLAND ...

Although high pressure dominates the scene to the west, surface heating into the low 20s degrees C and residual moisture/evapotranspiration will lead to several 100 j/kg CAPE across the above areas this afternoon. Despite general anticyclonic conditions, an increase in vorticity advection and slight cooling aloft from the north will promote sufficient cloud growth for scattered heavy showers and thunderstorms to break out here Saturday PM. Vertical ahear will be rather weak, so no severe weather is anticipated, though storms will be slow-moving which may bring localised flooding.

... NW ENGLAND and SW SCOTLAND ...

Surface heating and orographic uplift may allow heavy showers and isolated storms to develop here this afternoon.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Well done to those who copped a classic night-time storm last night! Although I would have loved to have experienced a light show as good as that I can't complain after getting some thunder and tropical rain yesterday evening (even though we weren't in a prime location). :)

Dare I say it would be nice to get a storm today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Newton Poppleford Weather Webcam is back online today to watch for any developments. The webcam points NE. http://86.162.205.134

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely incredible storm, I think we were pretty much in the middle of it. Our fusebox tripped during the peak period when it was constant overhead lightning.

Daughter wet the bed, son didn't wake up!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

hope we get more like that!

superb show with plenty of IC and CG.

Even with a camera playing silly-buggers, I managed to capture some footage:

Lovely video!

Hope you don't mind, but I capped some of the shots from that (I'll message you the zip file).

This is just lovely (from the vid)

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Estofex forecast out for today - keeps the risk relatively low for parts of Wales, W/SW, Central and Southern England, with no mention of the UK in the text.

post-15172-0-70628400-1402739388_thumb.p

http://www.estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2014061506_201406140014_1_stormforecast.xml

Posted

some great footage there and well done to those on here who predicted it, unlike some

large forecasting organisations I won't mention.

can someone explain though how storms like that formed last night over that area of central southern

England given that pressure is high and the cold front wasn't particularly active?

cheers guys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Was still awake till 2am, and we had about 3 pulses of rain. Thought could see some flickering, and at one point someone out side went 'ooh' I didn't really see much in the way of lightning where our bedroom is, but saw one out the back, no thunder at all. Hubs said all the car alarms went off a few hours later but neither of us heard or saw anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Last night's storms looked good on radar, managed to miss them again. A small chance today but I don't want anything- lots of plans today, rain needs to keep away. :)

Newton Poppleford Weather Webcam is back online today to watch for any developments. The webcam points NE. http://86.162.205.134

Use a VPN, or run it through a 3rd party site. I know you're going to say that you'll change your IP address later, but that doesn't matter, you're compromising your system already and it would be too late to change your IP. I'm gobsmacked you're even pasting it in to a forum with thousands of users to see?!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I mentioned earlier about the NMM overdoing the ppn amounts, here's the radar snapshot @ 11am vs the NMM ppn chart for the same time - Quite a difference so far.  

post-9615-0-44338200-1402740620_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-98223800-1402740539_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

twas nice to see some lightning last night. the nearest storm passed around 10 miles to my north giving plenty of lightning and some low growls of thunder, and also visually tracked 4 other storms over the next couple of hours.........all I want now is an overhead slobberknocker  :good:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

How do you guys take pictures of the lightning? Or is it just long exposure with multiple shots taken? 

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

How do you guys take pictures of the lightning?

With a DSLR, you can try the long exposure way and experiment with the ISO. On my bridge camera, I use a burst mode, that takes 30 shots in one second at a 5fps rate- 5MP, you can keep your finger down as long as you want as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

With a DSLR, you can try the long exposure way and experiment with the ISO. On my bridge camera, I use a burst mode, that takes 30 shots in one second at a 5fps rate- 5MP, you can keep your finger down as long as you want as well.

Ah thanks, i thought it would be something along those lines, need to try it out next time I get another storm (hopefully :p) ....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Or alternatively video the storm and use freebie video capture software to take frame by frame snapshots (for lazy people like me ;-))
  • Like 4

Posted

Ah thanks, i thought it would be something along those lines, need to try it out next time I get another storm (hopefully :p) ....

Haha I've been waiting years to get a lightning shot, it's an ambition to get one good enough to frame and put on the wall, one day...I bought my bridge camera last year, when all those storms were coming across the channel- perfect timing I thought, it all avoided here. :laugh:Just got this from Twitter10 houses caught fire - http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/app/news/reading/articles/2014/06/14/101171-lightning-storms-cause-multiple-house-fires-across-reading/ Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1